Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
Peru
19 Posts
My sister is leaving for Peru next Thurday to climb up to Machu Pichu( a sponsored climb in aid of breast cancer- thanks again to those here who sponsored her). I am going to try to persuade to keep a diary. Will let you know what she thought of Peru!
I did a mini tour of Peru, but about eight years ago now.

Cusco was lovely, very vibrant and interesting. Felt very safe at all times, but the usual rules apply as in any city

Also stayed for two or three nights in the rainforest in one of those eco-lodges. It was very hot and humid - as you would expect! The cabins had no electricity, so you need a torch. It was en-suite, but the water comes straight in from the river - so don't drink it. No hot water, but then you didn't want any as it was so hot. Cold showers were very welcome. The main hut which served as a dining room and bar had electricity from a generator. The beds had mosquito nets over them, but the only insects I really remember were ENORMOUS cockroaches!

If you're looking for five star luxury, then this isn't it, but it was comfortable nevertheless. Now, I am a big wimp when it comes to insects and the like, but I can't say I was really bothered when I stayed there, so I wouldn't let it worry you.

If you would like to know more, I can dig out my bits and pieces from the trip, but as it was a few years back, I don't know how much help it would be.
Many thanks, Bunter, your information was very helpful. We are planning a trip to an eco-lodge in the amazon jungle so we will watch out for the giant cockroaches.
sorry- I didn't read your first post properly re Machu Pichu.
my sister has just spent two days in Cusco. I don't have many details as I have only had text messages. However she thinks cusco is just beautiful. They went on guided walks around it. The people are really friendly(they felt very safe there- had just come from Lima where they were advised not to go out on their own.)Food was fabulous as well. She began her trek up Machu Pichu an hour ago. When she returns I will find out more about Cusco.
I just remembered something else. Don't leave your clothes outside after dusk, as there is an insect that lays eggs in your clothes - or maybe it burrows into your clothes, can't quite remember. Anyway, it then hatches out and burrows into you - or something!

And another thing, the guides at the lodges are unpaid and are there to study and so research. They earn their keep so to speak by taking tourists on trips. Consequently, they are interesting and informative.

I expect you will also go out on a boat at night to see the cayman.
I am thinking of going to Peru maybe next and to include the Inca Trail.

Has anyone done this? Truthful Pros and cons appreciated. Whatelse and wherelse is there to go/do whilst there?
My dad is doing this next year for charity. It's worth searching under google search for 'charity trek peru' and you should get lots of honest opinions. My brother in law has also done it. He said it was most physically demanding thing he has done (although he isn't particularly fit) but at the same time is also the most rewarding thing he has ever done.

I guess you already know this, but it's back to basics as far as toilet facilities go! :wink:
Being an old Boy scout although many years ago I can rough it with the best I think.

As for the phycal side of it I intend to some treking in this country to try and get a bit fit, as I will be knocking on a bit by then. :yikes
my sister did this in April. She had a wonderful time but also had quite a hairy time of it for a while. If you do do the trek you must make sure you have given yourself enough time to acclimatise. They only had a couple of days. She had to give up and return after the first day of the trek and she was one of several that became sick. She had struggled on for a while but was then hit with altitude sickness. She was absolutely hallucinating at one point. She texted me when she returned to her hotel and alarmed me as she didn't make any sense. She was later told that her organs were beginning to close down at one point!
However, she did make a remarkably quick recovery and made it to the top. Her photos are just breathtaking and I have posted them in the photo gallery. The people were brilliant and she learned so much.You can of course do it the easier way and get to the top without the trek!
Thanks for posting pic's, my appetite has certainly been whetted again. I take note of your sisters plight and I will be sure to give myself plenty of time to acclimatise, should I manage to get there.
Have to say what lovely photos. :D
they are good aren't they! Peru is a place I would just love to go to but I am terrified I won't be able to cope! I do have an inhaler - I can't imagine anything worse than being there and feeling unable to breathe properly. She made me so jealous!!
Pretty jealous myself, My possible trekking companion was green with envy when I showed her the pic's. She is evenmore determined than ever to go now.
After watching 'around the world in eighty treasures' it certaintly wetted my appetite and is one of the places i must see as it looks a fascinating country. 8)
Peru is a fantastic country. My mum is Peruvian (from Lima). I think t is real culture shock for Brits when they go over there. I would definitly recommend going though.
keep an extra close eye on personal belongings and dont wear too much jewelery etc when going out, especially if you are going to any poor areas.
Hi there,

My husband and I are going to Peru on the 2nd May, we are quite worried about what clothing to take with us as we are been told that the climate can vary between the places we are staying.
If anyone has any advise please could you let me know.

Our itinery is as follows,
We fly into Lima for the first night, we then fly to Puerto Maldonado to the Amazon Jungle where we will be staying for 3 nights, following that we fly to Cuzco and up to Machu Picchu, (sorry to disapoint, but we are travelling up there on the orient express and not doing the inca trail :oops: ), if anyone has any advise on what the dress code is on the orient express it would be appreciated, my husband seems to think it will be smart casual, but I'm not convinced, I think it will be smart. Anyway, we are staying near Machu Picchu for a couple of nights and we are told the temperature can drop quite low up there, so to pack a few warm clothes, we then travel back to Cuzco for a few nights and then onto Lima for a few nights.

If anyone has any advise at all it would be most appreciated, restaurants, food in general, weather advise, places to visit (although we have a pretty busy itinerary as it is!!) anything you can think of, please let me know. :lol:

Thanks
Claire xx
Just spoken to my sister-in-law who was there a couple of years ago in May. She said it was never really cool, even at Machu Pichu. It may have been cooler than other places, but not cold.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.