Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi all right nearly home time now :(

Second week in food getting a bit sore to stomach but it's not the worst Ive had but not the best either. You can get by so don't worry.
The drinks in the snack bar are warm except your lager. I advise you fill up a couple of bottles with the water from the tanks and keep them chilling in the fridge in your room.
Beware the sun bed hoggers. There are plenty of people here putting towels on loungers at 7am and not returning until 4pm just to take them off again. Why?One family is claiming 8 loungers with only one person a time there. Pathetic and selfish!

But the hotel itself is lovely and the reps and staff also. Apart from Alexia (Its all me me me ) the entertainer who loves herself but can do her job well.
So enjoy it guys because your time flys.
Hi Beth so glad you have had a great time. We are nearly all packed now - 3 sleeps to go! Sometimes the looking forward to it is better cos its not here yet and you still have it to look forward to if you know what I mean lol

Last time we went to a hotel like this I just took the towels off the loungers!! wonder if ill be brave enough to do it this time lol

I think ill miss your review as ill be on my way! but so pleased you have had a good time.

Redcrop xx
Last time we went to a hotel like this I just took the towels off the loungers!! wonder if ill be brave enough to do it this time lol

I so hope you do, I hate sunlounger hogger's! We stayed at the Petra Mare a couple of years ago and witnessed quite a heated argument over sun loungers and also witnessed towels being removed from sunloungers, the funny thing was they'd been reserved by an English family and it was a German family that were removing them :lol: I have to say I don't know why people always blame the German's for reserving the sunbeds because the only people I've ever witnessed doing it are the English :?

Whilst we were there we saw people putting their towels on loungers at 11.00pm the night before, the answer to that is throw them in the pool if you're brave enough! (The towel's not the holidaymakers) :wink:

Hope you have a fab holiday :D
Thanks Shell,

Actually it was Germans last time and they turned up at about 4pm and they had the right hump to say the least lol they stood in front of our loungers trying to block out our sun lol I just brazened it out - it really annoys us too! What with children and late nights and not letting them leave the room till they are creamed it can take us a while to get to the pool and we never get a lounger!

Only 2 sleeps to go now lol

Redcrop x
Good for you Redcrop for sticking your ground, I really think the hotels should stop it from happening as it is so unfair on the holidaymakers that never get a look in, we have all paid for our hols and are all entitled to use the facilities. Have you noticed too how you always get the families that have to have the same loungers every day in the same spot :roll: Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a lovely holiday. They do have loungers on the beach which are free and don't tend to get snapped up so quickly.

Enjoy :wave :D
Hi Shell to be honest it seemed that the Germans were first and last on the to stay on the beach. We had no problems with the Germans.
It was the English that were taking over the pool sides. I didn't want to tell red crop but that family will still be there when she arrives. They had 10 sun beds reserved yesterday and no where in sight and they didn't seem the sort of family to trifle with.

I must say that the hotel was getting mighty busy when we left so I'm sort of glad to be home now, not that I don't miss being there :(
We certainly wouldn't think twice about returning. We were very impressed with our stay, and met some great families.
Andy's child really got on with ours. Even Andy and his wife were saying what a great holiday it had been and they would also return. Cost being the question next year of course!

So is this hotel closing for next season as First Choice Reps are telling us?
They are saying it is closing for 2 years to upgrade to a 5star complex. Yet Reception Staff say they have not heard nothing and that all maintenance is carried out in the winter. Also the pretty girl from the water sports said that her boss has asked her to return next year and work.
I see it's still available to book on the First Choice website but I know that FC are quite happy to take your deposit and tell truth later.
Holiday-Truth what is the truth?
So is this hotel closing for next season as First Choice Reps are telling us?
They are saying it is closing for 2 years to upgrade to a 5star complex.

I hope not!!! :shock: I've booked for next August and already looking forward to it. I've paid the balance of our deposit now. :(
Well we would like to go back maybe next year also. Apparently Andy said he first heard of the refurb through this site. So some people we knew asked one of the reps who confirmed it, but the hotel staff seem unaware of any upcoming developments.
I'll be honest in my opinion the hotel does not really seem in desperate need of improvements, and even if there were some I doubt that it would take 2 years. Even the local bars and shops would suffer if this hotel shuts for a summer. It's a heck of a lot of money to lose if the rumour is true, but that's all it might be. I don't know I'm trying to find out for myself also.
They had 10 sun beds reserved yesterday and no where in sight and they didn't seem the sort of family to trifle with.

It makes your blood boil :evil: I hope redcrop manages to get a look in. I'm suprised to read that they are on about refurbishing the hotel as it didn't look in need of it during our stay and that was a couple of years ago. I hope your holiday is safe cyberspacekadette, I would be very tempted to e-mail the hotel direct and see if you can get to the bottom of it.

Shell :)
I would be very tempted to e-mail the hotel direct and see if you can get to the bottom of it.

It seems from other posts the hotel knows nothing about it, but it's the First Choice reps who are saying it's being refurbed. I may pop into the First Choice shop where I booked it and see if they know anything, but they'll probably be in complete denial :roll: Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it too much right now, this time next week we'll just be arriving in Ibiza 8) so I'll see how the gossip goes on here when we get back.
Have a lovely holiday cyberspacekadette :D
Hi ya all :D

Just come back from a fab holiday at the Petra Mare hotel, met up with Lorraine ( Redcrop) and her family, we all got on really well, my daughter didn't want come home at all as she made such good friends with Lorraine's daughter. We are all missing them and wished we'd had another week together.
Oh and i meet Donna too! hi ya Donna if your still reading post's
For those of you that are thinking of booking this hotel the food isn't all that but everything else makes up for we really did enjoy are stay there.
just back myself ,had a good time apart from the barMAN..((NOT ALEX)) ....he was very rude to us for getting 2 rounds in at 11.40pm and one night getting a round in at 11.55pm,he actually told us the hotel management have told them to limit the free booze and thats one reason why there was only one person behind the bar even if there were 20/30 people waiting.I also couldnt believe it was 6 euro for a cocktail and most were made with allinclusive products...the kids cocktails at 4 eoros as well were a bit steep as well considering it was only free pop and a dash of blackcurrent and lime cordial.He would serve people first who had money and not people wanting the free stuff(((which my g/f pointed out to him we had already paid for)) and also if you had a low top flashing boobs and smiled he would serve you first.BAR 1/10
food....it was ok wouldnt have said any better than that plenty of choise but has been said very repetitive..the ice cream was bad ,one tub of choclate per sitting and when it was gone that was it ,if you ate after 8.30 like we did there was not many times when there was some.FOOD 5/10
RECEPITON..very helpful, especially when they arranged a dr to come and scalpel 22 sea urchins out of my feet((some will know who i am now lol))..and arranging the go karts ..10/10

pool area...great with slides and freezing pool but the lazy river was never switched on..we got up at 10am + and never managed a sunbed only managing a broken one each day on the beach...6/10

one interesting thing to me however was how fc can allow 120 people to book an excursion to crissi island on a 60 seat boat on the roughest sea for apperently 24 years including people having to wear life jackets..even if it was the wrong boat surely fc should have cancelled the trip??

did i have a good holiday...yes met up with a family and we are now firm friends .would i go back no..the experience as put me off all in for life in europe,you pay for beer and and spirits up front and cocktails and cocktails should be free especially when youve paid for it up front very very poor imho
Bronco sorry to hear you never had such a good time.

I forgot to mention the trip to Chrissi Island, never again through FC. I would of rather of went on one of the larger boats than be packed like sardines on a (bus) sorry boat. Yes that annoyed me a bit also.

I don't think the lazy river does switch on, it is very lazy!

As for that inside bar. The fellas did mention to us that that bar bloke could be arsy with you at times. Stuff queing I just topped up my drinks from the outside snack bar. Then again I don't drink shorts.
It was disgusting having to pay for cocktails which should be included in your AI price especially the kids which are disgusting sickly syrup, yuk!

I did say in one of my last posts though that although I was sorry to leave the glorious weather and scenery, the hotel was getting to busy and I think we went at the right time.

But to me those were very minor parts on our holiday, which you have only just jogged our memory about.
no we had a good time but the prat behind the bar was a complete tool...
behind the bar was Stellios
We found him OK at first, but later on in the hols he was becoming very rude , he had his favorite people who always got served quick.
He charged us 12euro for 2 drinks bang on the stroke of midnight.
Sticky and wobbly tables, dirty ahstrays, --- one part of the hols we dont miss

edit to remove libalas comments....wizard
got home today, had a fantastic time. To be fair to FC, the sea in the morning was not that bad, no worse than it has been and the change in strength was about lunchtime, when everyone was already on Chrissi.

I wouldn't bother with the shop and beach trip as this was very over priced.
Hello

I am going to Petra Mare a week on Friday and was hoping for someone to tell me the 'real' transfer time is from the Airport.

Thanks

Michelle
we went last year and it was about 1hr 50mins but that was in the early hours of the morning with no traffic
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.