Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Debs,

Low Season means May - October. It's roughly the time that the rains arrive, so hotels typically offer 2 for 1 on room offers. I've been in May & October - I think great times to go as offers are good, and the rains don't automatically start the day after April 30th...

Chances are you will see some rain, depending when you actually go. Often it can mean 1 hour a day, at a 'set' time more or less, so you can plan your day around it.

Kata won't be too quiet. I personally avoid Patong like the plague, as you will get too many hassles. I prefer to stay on a quiet beach, and travel to Patong for entertainment.

Bang Tao is quiet, and fronted by the Laguna resort complex, all 5 star, but you can cross sign the facilities, and free buses will take you around. It's 40 odd minutes to Patong, and potentially a good choice. If you want your own pool and have unlimited resources, a two bed pool villa at the Banyan Tree is one of lifes great experience. I had one, but didn't pay for it!

However, better value would be the Allamanda Laguna. It is geared to familes - most rooms are 2 bed villas (http://www.allamanda.com/accom.html) and much better value. It's not actually on the beach, but a couple of minutes away. BangTao beach is big and chilled. Lots of watersports for all. Don't bother shopping in the complex though, tis expensive.

Edit - Having just seen the American Express offer on the site you can get 6 nights, 2 bed villa for $660 - or about £60 a night. That's steal. If you don't have an American Express - negotiate - sure they will match it!

Enjoy!
Heck Travelling you had me going there for a moment..I was on the American Express site for the two bedroom deal for $660 thinking you meant the Banyan Tree...of course it was the Allamanda you were referring too...the Banyan Tree was showing a two night deal but that was over 3000 USD :)

The Laguna complex is OK a bit manicured and feels more like Florida than Thailand to my eyes. I went round the Allamanda...its a good value option but is more three than five star.

One of the downsides of low season is that the sea can get rough in some cases making some beaches dangerous to swim on...check for the red flag.
Hi,

My Wife and I visited Phuket for 5 nights as part of our round the world trip and we were there off season towards the end of June last year.

We stayed at the Karona Resort & Spa which was in between Kata and Karon beach, website is:-

http://www.karonaresort.com/index.htm

Obviously with it being part of a 7 month trip we wanted to keep costs down but we were extremely surprised to see this hotel offering a Superior room during our visit for 1700 baht, which equates currently to something like £26 per night. They still have the same promotion on this year which we took advantage of which is buy 4 nights get the 5th free, or indeed if you are planning on a longer stay there are free nights included in a number of different packages for example, 10 nights pay for 6 get 4 free, 14 nights pay for 8 get 6 free.

Take a look at the promotion page on the website, they have so many good offers especially during off peak. The only drawback and it is only a slight one is that you do have to commit to a paid breakfast on the free nights (the next morning) which is 350 baht per person but breakfast is free on the paid nights.

I'm not sure how prices will be affected with your children in tow but they were extremely quick to respond to queries over email so if you are interested in the hotel I would send an enquiry and see what they come back with.

Our 5 night package included free round trip transfers, breakfast included on the paid nights, welcome drink and cool towels, promotional offers in the spa and money off in the restaurant.

It was a great hotel, I think it is advertised as a 3 star but I would class it as a 4 star. Location is great, nearer to Kata restaurants than Karon which we preferred....Kata beach is about 5-10 mins walk.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Julian
Sheraton at Laguna has pool access rooms. Meridian (approx 10 mins from Patong) and Hilton (Karon) have large pools. As previous post May -Nov low season although July August will be classed as high in UK price wise. Weather no problem, its actually raining nearly every day now in April, mostly at night but still hot. Can be very busy July/Aug and hotel rates go up as they know its Europe's main holiday period.

Laguna is the upmarket end.
Thanks for replies.
We will be looking at the recommendations.
Thinking that we may split our trip and spend time in Patong ang Bang Tao at the laguna resort although not decided on the hotels yet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.