Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Neil
Pedros for muuton rogan josh, Leanoras for chicken biriani and there is a small restaraunt just past the hotel on the right who's name I cannot recall witch does a fabulous steak, all those places are cheaper than anywere in cavollosim, but my favourite place this year has to be Pedros, a good and varied menu( beware of crab xaki xaki) and a good price
I think Lynndan is thinking of Savios for a steak. Also Amal M over the road from the Palms is good. We use Pedros frequently as the menu is different and the food very good especially the butter chicken and some very good veg dishes. During the season Sun'n'Moon near the taj at the beach is good if a little more expensive.
Cocopop
A first rate shack just South of the Taj Exotica is the Zumbrai - genuinely friendly staff, great Masala Papads, A first rate if you are into it (but VERY anti social) garlic toast & steaks which even though they will never win a Michelin star are fantastic value at Rs85 with a sauce!

Johnny Fisherman's further North on the beach was pretty good too.

Hemingway.
Can also reccommend Zumbrai great steaks with selection of sauces,used it when staying at the Royal Goan
Beach Club,also a nice coffee shop in the Taj ,they also do a super buffet breakfast :tup
ann
thank you Cocopop, it was Savios we ate there a few times, it was always very nice, we also ate at amal m a couple of times, although I like Milan ( joint owner) the food I found was not very good and only small portions, I had chicken xackuti there and I had to leave it, it was like tipping gravy over the chicken, no flavour at all if I didn't have a garlic naan, the next place up from Amal is very nice and always full of holiday makers and Indians,and way down the road on the bend is also quite good ( tuesday is jazz night) I am sure Cocopop can tell you the names of these places, but I cannot because I am always in my football shirt and blind drunk.
Danny
I would also recommend Zumbrai. Very good for fish. They have a blackboard not only showing what fish is available but also the prices. None of this as per market price, where you are charged a price according to what the waiter perceives you will spend. Savio and his wife Jessica are 2 very genuine people that charge reasonable prices for very good food. As you can tell we like the place :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

A few years ago I stayed at the Royal goan Beach club at Taj exotica, whil nice accomodation I found a few of the restaurants a bit pricey for the food they served that's why I am going further up the road to Royal Palms actually in Benaulim. I always found these two resorts confusing in location/description.
I know what you mean Big Neil. The places behind the Royal Goan (Joecons etc) are pricey. We rent a place on the road from Joecons towards Varca church and have found a couple of local place in the area where the food is very good and cheap. Full of locals. But to get to them it would require transport. One was called Toncia in Pedda Varca, the other I cant remember the name. We were also told of a new local place right by the new Church in Benaulim but have yet to try it out.
TS,

Yes I tried most of the restaurants at the back of the RG at The small bar/restaurant was probably the cheapest and not the much different in quality. I used to take a taxi to Benaulim, liked the vive round Johncys.

I think it was JoeCons Just up from Exotica which was OK but I don't really like that sort of thing, made me feel to much like I was on a tourist night out (not my thing) a bit cabaret the entertainment but a nice location none the less... a one off for me. More appeal for Taj guests I imagine.
We like Johncy's and shack-wise if facing the sea from the car park turn left and the last shack (before the break to the Taj) is Hawaii it's our favourite and it so reminds us of the shacks in 95
All good info.

What's close to Royal Palms thats good for evening drinks if I have that lazy evening I can't be bothered to go to beach front?
There are several places for a drink along the lane between the Royal Palms and the village crossroads. Also few places around the crossroads, like Dinha's. In the other direction south down the lane is the Malibu Garden. You shouldn't have any problem in finding something to suit you within walking distance.
Thanks for the thread Neil. I am staying at RP in October so some useful info here. NB my research indicates that the RP is a bit older and more downmarket than the other Royal resort in Benaulim...which is where you appear to have stayed previous time. Doesn't worry me - Hotel for sleeping and washing. rest of time on beach or the food shacks. All please keep the info coming!!
Yes the RP is a little downmarket on Royal's other locations, but there has been extensive refurbishment over the past year and the rooms are much improved from what they were before.
Dinha's. In the other direction south down the lane is the Malibu Garden

Look like my sort of places.

:offtop I'm really looking forward to doing a bit of cycling as well, I really enjoy exploring the area around there. My favourite time was always mid morning, take the back road down to Varca.... can't wait.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.