Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi
Just Got back from La Carihuela area

Great snacks and coctails during the day in Da Fano at the side of Benalmadena Marina..half decent view..toasties for 1.5 euros without being in a brit bar

Some Montemar/La Carihuela area reccomendations:

Good English breakfast The Vine behind Buenosol Apartments

Best English food Bar El mohito or Winstons (had to have english a few times as mom and dad with us for part of holiday) (we had not so good food at the scottish bar The Curnard)

My favourite place to eat was Restuarant La Tahona ...loved it ..great service , good food , great location if you like to eat amongst hustle and bustle...and very good prices.

Very very nice food at Casa Juan Los Mellizos if you want a more expensive treat.

Had a good English style Sandwhich at The Cosy Nook on promenade also there was a Welsh bar next door that was always busy and food looked good

Have a great time
Jo x
Dark side of the moon was great for lunchtime people watching, and the people were very friendly. It's right on the front.
La Cabello hotel is great for sitting outside with a drink people watching. It's right next to the square with the fountain, the next street back from the front. Drinks are reasonable and there were always locals sitting outside.

If you want breakfast out for a change instead of making it yourself, I recommend la Cigalo on the promenade. It has a great breakfast menu including, English, Tropical, Spanish etc etc and was delicious.

Our favourite restaurant for evening meal was La Bodego. We've eaten there twice and had beautiful fish meals- the owner is a very friendly Spanish lady.

We found a very nice cocktail place on our last night there but I can't remember the name of the place- I think it was something to do with the caribbean :D It's on the front as you head for the torremolinos end. walk along the front, past the school on your left and it's before you come to the corner that takes you to the headland.
We found a very nice cocktail place on our last night there but I can't remember the name of the place- I think it was something to do with the caribbean

Caribbean Beachclub? Don't know if it still has, but used to have all blue lights inside.
Yes, that's the one Sanji and it still has the blue lights inside :tup
I haven't been in there for years, but I can remember when it first opened, for a short while it felt was like sitting in a gigantic insect trap with the blue lights, until I got used to it........like those they have in the kitchens with the blue light element that make toast of the insects when they land on the blue light. :rofl
Try Playa-Miguel beach for excellent clean facilities, waitress/waiter beach service and fruit kebabs around lunchtime - free. Your Majesty next to the little church serves nice meals at very reasonable prices (if you can get a table), La Tralla on Calle Bulto too. For a special meal try The Spanish Garden in Montemar area. For cheap drinks and friendly service and a premium people watching spot, sit outside the hotel Cabello. You will have a lovely holiday I am sure.

The ferry trip from the Marina to Fuengirola is a nice day out.
TBH Glynis, you're going to be spoilt for choice and within a few days I'm sure you'll suss out the area, I'm trying to think of places quite near to your apartment, I don't suppose you want to trek nearly a mile for your breakfast . lol
The Cosy Nook for British food....owned by Paul and Kay on the promenade towards the headland.
Nigel and Cheryl's, from Wales, next door to the Cosy Nook....one night a week they do a curry night"¦.must check that out sometime.
'Casa Juan Los Mellizos if you want a more expensive treat'...tis nice, but tis expensive, opposite your apartment main door, opposite the little fountain
Restaurant La Tahona half way up Calle Bulto, I'll go with that one too
Bodega Contreras on Calle Bulto, my favourite.
El Mojito (if you must) :lol: Typical Brit bar with Sky TV, pool table, situated at the top of Calle Bulto.
Dark Side Of The Moon....on the way to Benalmadena marina ( set back from the promenade behind a grassed area) I will be having my Sunday dinner there. :wink Hotel Cabello to sit outside, not far from your apartments and a good people watching place.

What to do.? walk to Benalmádena Marina, walk to Torremolinos and take the lift up into town for 50 centimos each, have a nosey around then walk down all the steps at the bottom of Calle San Miguel and onto the promenade, walk around the headland (Roca Chica) back to your apartment.
Look at the local excursions if you fancy Ronda, Sevilla or Granada or book a trip down to Gibraltar for the day, everybody has to do Gibraltar once.
Take the bus or train into Malaga.
Visit Torremolinos market on Thursday up near the fair ground, or go to Arroyo/Benalmádena market on Friday morning, walk down through Paloma park and back to La Carihuela....while you're up near the market you could be a lot braver than me and go on the cable car to the top of Mount Calamorro.

If you're hiring a car ...there's so much much more to explore.

Sanji
Sorry Shirley don't know how I missed this post :duh

Many thanks for all the info - no doubt you'll be grilling me to see where we've been :rofl

No car this year - all shank's pony this time :yikes
Thanks again - much appreciated :tup
Ah phew. Thought it was Tuesday today & I'd missed your post by a day :rofl :rofl
Bodega Contreras on Calle Bulto, my favourite.

That was one of our favourites too- made a mistake with the name in my previous post- I called it La Bodega :duh

I'm sure you'll have plenty of lovely meals Glynis :)
I forgot going to Fuengirola off that list too.

Basically, when you're stood on the promenade FACING the sea, or sat on your balcony facing the sea, Torremolinos is on your left around the headland and Benalmádena is on your right.

You see this photo below, you'll not miss the fountain, you've got the hotel Cabello on the left with the green awnings and if you walk straight ahead down the pedestrian street, there's a taxi rank there and also a supermarket, which isn't a bad little supermarket on the corner, I think it's called Maskom or summat like that, but obviously nothing like Mercadona....I used to use it when we stayed down that end in the apartments belonging to the Hotel Las Palomas. I can't think of any nearer at the moment....to get to this area, the easiest directions would be to walk on the promenade heading for Torremolinos and you'll see the infants school (white building/blue railings) and the area opens up around it.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4950/cabello1.jpg

You'll get your bearings and suss things out quite easily, whenever we mention Calle Bulto, it's the main pedestrian street which runs parallel with the promenade at the start of Carihuela village.

Sanji x
Ah thanks Shirley was going to ask about Supermarkets :tup

How much should a taxi be to La Carihuela? The owner of apts thought about €20 but skybus spain have quoted €28 ie €56 return with 10% off if you pay both ways on inward journey. :think

:wave:
In the daytime before 10pm, the taxi should be about €20 - €22.
Always ask the price before you get into it.You can't actually get to the front door of your apartments because it's all pedestrainised, so the taxi will either drop you off at the bottom of the hill (which is at the end of the small pedestrian street in the photos) or he/she will drive drive further along the street around the corner and then you'll just (walk) cut across to your apartment.

A good tip is to write this down and show it the taxi driver if he doesn't understand/know where your apartments are situated....everybody knows this famous restaurant and your apartments are opposite it.
Restaurante Casa Juan Los Mellizos

Sanji x
You don't fancy getting the train then Glynis. That's what we did, it was dead easy and it worked out much cheaper. We had train to torremolinos and then taxi from Torremolinos to La Carihuela. Cost us 8 euros 70 in total for us both :tup

On the drive from La carihuela to torre staion on the way back, the taxi driver tried getting us to agree to go the whole way to the airport with him. He said he'd give us a special deal of 18 euros. Sounded good but we still went with the train.
We land about 12.15pm. The owner gave us the same directions Shirley - thanks :tup

Am bit nervous about the train not knowing the area at all. Plus I'm usually impatient and just want to get to where I'm going :rofl
Hi
We paid 20 Euros to Pez Espada a few weeks ago for taxi and thats a little further down ... the thing with the taxis they are so clean and reliable and so easy to find as there are queues of them so straight in and away
jo x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.