Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Poros
9 Posts
It's been a very long time since I visited Poros but I should imagine that the essentials remain the same.

There are no decent beaches on the Island, just a few scraps of sand here and there that tend to get very crowded. Some of the hotels have concrete jetties at sea level so that you can go swimming and participate in water sports. Evenings were spent in the numerous tavernas, bars and restaurants overlooking the harbour and very pleasant that was too. Even all those years ago there was a good range of restaurants and tavernas representing many different cuisines.

We used to take the little water taxis over the 500 meters of sea to the mainland resort of Galatas and visit the lemon groves which smelt divine.

Poros is ideal for taking day trips to other islands nearby such as Hydra, Aegina and Angistri. It is also ideally placed for visiting places such as Epidavros on the mainland and Athens, which I recall was less than an hour away by dolphin.

I remember it as a pretty laid back island where nothing much ever happened. Ideal for a relaxing holiday but good for visiting other places for a break from all that relaxation!
Oooh Magster. You've just taken me back about 15 years :shock:
We did a 2 centre, a week on Poros and a week on Spetse. Cant remember the name of the hotel where we stayed but we used to get on the boat over to the town where we had some fabulous meals. As you say, it was very laid back but we had a great time. I did prefer Poros to Spetse.
also been many years since we were in Poros but we loved it! No the beaches are not great but we didn't mind too much! As has been said, it is great for visiting other islands. Restaurants were numerous and very good.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, :)

I was in work today and mentioned where I was going to my work mate, and yes, you guessed it she was there about 15 years ago. :D

Poros sounds great and I'v been busy researching it on loads of diffrent sites. So, i think plenty of island hopping for us and a tour of Athens.

Thanks again
I'll be interested to see what you think of it now.
I too would love to know what bigstego thinks of the island now. With my children being that little bit older it wouldn't be such a problem having a longer journey with ferries etc and it would be nice to revisit old haunts. If you make it over to Angistri, I would love to know if it is still the untouched island it used to be. No cars etc and peace so quiet you could touch it!
hi, everyone

i'm going on the 5th and returning on the 12th (i'd posted the wrong date: DOH)

I'm staying with freinds so no hotel report, but i'll let you all know how we get on as soon as i deal with the dreaded washing on return. :?

P.S we got our flights really cheap booking with flyglobespan ages ago.
Hi everyone.

Back from Poros and I must say it was our best holiday yet. Transfer from airpoirt to Piraus a bit of a killer, at about one and a half hours by bus, then ferry to Poros three hours. The hydrofoil was cancelled due to choppy seas but the sail on the ferry was very relaxing passing the lovely islands and scenery. It was also alot cheaper. (8 euros for ferry - 19 euros for hydrofoil)

We actually stayed in Galatas which was on the mainland, Poros 300mtrs away by water taxi. We found Poros to be really cheap eating and drinking wise in comparison to Spain, cheaper still in Galatas, where it was a case of no menus just the waiter telling you what was cooking and you making your choice.

My freind took us to an Ouzirea (sp) where we had the lovliest meal ever of shrimp saganaki, whitebait and crispy salt n pepper prawns for 35 euros between the three of us.

We went to a couple of beaches aliki and Plaka the best one being at Askeli. As we had the kids with us we preferred the out door pools at Kameras and the pool at Posidon night club. Posidon had the most amazing panoramic views over Poros but you had tp pay 2e per sun bed which was completely worth it.

Brilliant holiday a week just wasn't enough

karenxxxxxxxxxxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.