Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Moving permanently to a foreign country without doing research into what is or is not available to maintain a UK lifestyle, (if this is what you insist upon doing), is liable to lead to disappointment.

The Bulgarians are not too keen on English tastes - we were surprised to find out Bulgarian kids for example, can't stand baked beans.

There's nothing wrong with Bulgarian food, and when in Rome it is better to do as the Romans do!!

Peter
I've never seen much in the way of British products in Bulgaria, even in the large outlets, like 'Metro' in Varna.

It probably wouldn't be commercially viable for companies to import the types of thing that your parents are missing, as most Bulgarians that I know wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot bargepole.
Peter, I totally agree with you. :wink:

If i was to move abroad, i would do plenty of research before I went.

As i would choose Cyprus though, I know I would be okay, as they have all English products over there. :D :wink:

Thanks Baldur, aswell.
Cookie, can you not just mail them a few things? My husband is English and we are living in the US. Whenever his parents visit and occasionally they send him: Oxo, Macleans, custard, Cockles, Tea biscuits, Jaffa Cakes, Wine Gums, etc he really enjoys it! There are a lot of things we can't get here.

To the other posters, although people may live in another country, having grown up in another culture you are bound to miss some favorite foods. My husband makes a nice shepard's pie every now and then and about twice a year has custard on a pie or something and enjoys a few wine gums. Doesn't mean they can't/won't eat Bulgarian food or he won't eat American food (without tons of gravy like he grew up with!) but it's nice for a treat for him to have things from "home".

Old post, I know, but had to comment.
hi am going to sunny beach on the 29/6/07 if your parents are near i could take a few things over if you wish
Even I dont like baked beans :lol:
I doubt if many Bulgarians buy these but does "Pechen Bob" sound better, Tanny? :wink:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/JP1948/Heinz.jpg

Baldur
I prefer 'une peche' nowadays.. :wink
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.