Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
We hired a car at Ayres Rock and visited the rock at both sunrise and sunset and also visited the Olgas.

I climbed the rock, but hubby only managed half way. :lol: I'm not sure if you can still climb it. I know the Aborigines discouraged it as it is sacred to them. I did have second thoughts, but decided that I would only be there once in my life and would never get the oppportunity again so went for it.

I think we stayed at the Outback Pioneer, but it was in 1993 and my memory is hazy.

luci :wave
At what time does your plane arrive at Ayers Rock and what time does it leave next morning
You could hire a car out there for the time you are there and go to the veiwing area of the sunrise or sunset with that
Your travel agent should have seen you had time to do the sunset or sunrise trip before you leave go and see them and see if they can arrange some thing to go all that way to see not a thing is bad arranging on there behalf.
We didnt stop at the outback pioneer,we stopped at the sails in the desert on a tour so both sunset and sunrise was included its about 20 mins drive to the rock from the hotel,if time is at a limit you would be best hiring a car or email the hotel to see if they can help you we was a little unlucky with the weather when we went and didnt see alot hopefully you going at the right time of the year to see it better.

it is quite expensive at the ayres rock resort but they do a bargain barbarque at the back of the hotel you stopping at and was told it is very good.

plus if yourself or any of your family not keen on bugs or insects best buy a hairnet or something to cover your head because the flies get all over the place and to me it spoiled the experience a little because im not the best with bugs.

when we went was told they are not keen now for people to climb up the top of the rock if the temp goes over a certain temp they advise you not to go up...we was advised to walk round the bottom...but again the flys put me off doing that.

Have a wonderful time.....best holiday we ever been on austrailia
Thanks for all your replies. We (or rather the travel agent) have had to completely re-organise things for us. We are now going to have to have a day less in Perth and add a day onto Ayers Rock - its the only way we could do it if we wanted to see both sunset and sunrise and be part of a proper tour. I am still annoyed but the kids are really looking forward to seeing The Rock so I couldn't disappoint them.
we you say you are going as a tour to the rock on sunset and sunrise....
just make sure the tour goes to the rock and gives you some time to walk round it or go up it...i assume you will have time at the rock after the sunrise because where they take you to view sunset and sunrise is to a viewing area on either side of the rock depending on sunset and sunrise and its roped off so you cant walk to the rock from there.

Hope you have a lovely time.
Hello Prada,

I'n glad that you've been able to sort things out and will be able to view the Rock as planned. However, I would ask you to seriously resist any urge to climb it. It is a sacred place for the Aboriginal people of Australia who regard it as a desecration to have it clambered over by tourists. It was described to me by one as the equivalent of tourists insisting on eating their picnic sat around the high alter in St Peter's or Canterbury cathedral on the grounds that it's 'only a table after all'. Try and imagine how believers in this country would react if something like that happened and then ask your self whether doing its equivalent is something that you want to do there.

SM
We stayed at the Outback Pioneer for 2 nights. We saw Ayers Rock and Kata Tjuta in that time, sunrise at Ayers and sunset at Kata. It was great, well worth the time and money.

I agree with the other people saying to not climb the rock. The 9.4km(I think) walk around the base was a major highlight of our RTW trip and although it was pretty tiring, I felt a buzz for days after for doing it.

As for food options, yes the Outback does a BBQ but that is quite expensive considering what it is. There is a little hole in the wall counter service selling burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc, which although not particularly healthy (very tasty) was relatively cheap. Warning, it does shut early though...think about 8.30pm.

There is also a restaurant over in the resorts shopping centre which does an ok pizza and pasta menu amongst other things.

Have fun, it is a great place.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.