Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Pefkos or Lindos
15 Posts
Well you've answered your own question in a way as all your points are quite true. I don't know if i'd say Pefkos is too British, it is a purpose built resort and as such is quite commercial but it's no Faliraki! It has beautiful beaches and scenery but for me can't match the history and character of Lindos.

You're also right about Lindos being busy during the day but it quietens down reasonably early so you still have plenty of time to wander the streets and check out the shops after the daytrippers have gone. You're also right in thinking you have to stay a little out if you want a pool, there's a preservation order on the village, building is very restricted and all the newer complexes are up on Krana Hill. It's not a great distance though, some of the properties (Lindos Gardens, Krana, Lindos View) are only a 10 minute walk away.

As for going between the two, it's not far at all. I've walked it and don't find it a bad walk but others have said it's a killer! It takes about 45 mins or so and there's a good hill as you head out of Pefkos and again as you reach Lindos - i wouldn't attempt it in the dark as most of the route is unlit. A taxi is 7 euros and only a 5-10 minute journey.
We stayed in Pefkos in June -two fantastic weeks.

We hired a car from G.A.M in Pefkos and this really made our holiday (i have his email if you want to rent a car). We personally found Pefkos a very british resort. We stayed at the Matina - right next to Pefkos Main Beach (lovely beach it really is) - BUT Matina was full of drunk brits who could not be bothered too look after their kids - staff were nice mnd.

I really don't think you could fault Lindos - we spent many days here - it is fairly busy - but still fantastic. We loved the old town with it's winding streets and has some lovely bars and places to eat.

You will find many of the hotels are out of the main drag and this goes for all resorts around the island.

We went out in our Jeep everyday and visited lots of fab beaches out of the way.

St Pauls bay is lovely and run by a Greek Man who's wife is from Newcastle, we met her on our second to last day and her children played with our four year old in the sea and they are really proud of their little beach and ensure it's always clean.

When we go back it will be Lindos for us - we would return next year but as i am pregnant at the moment the baby we feel will be too young at the time of year we'd like to go - zand then wrry the weather will not be great at the end of October.

Enjoy x
Pefkos is a purpose built resort that is mainly full of British holiday makers, so yes, Pefkos is a British resort. It has some nice places to eat mind, and yes, the beach is very good.
Lindos can be very busy during the day, although we once went into Lindos at 4pm and it was totally deserted! and also in the evening, (depends what time of year you go) this also has plenty of very nice places to eat, (a lot of roof top restaurants) and plenty of nice bars. (as loud or as quite as you want)
If you want to stay in Lindos, in a hotel/apartment that has a pool, then you may have a bit of a trek into the center. On the other hand, there are plenty of places to stay in Pefkos, and Lindos is only a short taxi ride away. Also if your on a budget, then maybe stay in Pefkos, and go to Lindos as and when you like.
Hi Sooze

We also thought Pefkos was very British but this is what some people like. It maybe depends whether you have kids who want karaoke or Sky sports and English breakfasts. We enjoyed it at the time about 4 years ago. No-one has mentioned there are local buses to Lindos. You can get an early morning one before the coach tours arrive and then get a taxi back when you are ready. I would not like to attempt the walk. Lardos village near to Pefkos was also quite nice and traditional, a place which is alive all year round. There are some lovely beaches not too far away with little kantinas for a pita gyros at lunch time.

Yiamass, Jean
I would say Pefkos to Lindos is walkable but when we were there in June 2008 the daytime temperatures of 40 degrees made it very hard work to walk anywhere. We too hired a car and will be doing so again in 2009. (we booked locally but now book a car through economycarrentals for collection/ drop off at the airport so no worries about transfers). You will definitely appreciate a car with air-conditioning but the Rhodes roads aren't bad to drive on.

Lindos is more expensive to stay in than other resorts but it is worth the extra and you really must have at least one meal in a rooftop restaurant in Lindos as the sun goes down.

Dave
i stay 9 years in pefkos what ever question you have please may ask me ** edit to remove e-mail .. please use pm system..wiz :tup
in pefkos you have many choises with many bars and restaurants and is cheaper then lindos event the supermarkets are more expensive in lindos the cost for a taxi is around the 8 euros one way and you will in lindos in 5 minutes

but the best greek area to stay is haraki lovely place with crystall clear waters friendly people and good prices!
harikleia

I have never stayed in Haraki - although I did have breakfast there almost everyday last year - but I have to say it is a superb place and I would think that it would be a great place to stay. You need access to transport if you want to do anything other than lie on the sunbeds all day.

When I eventually get round to it I will post some of my Haraki pics.

Dave
dave

yes :cheers ,
,you are right about haraki, but is better and cheaper if you hire a car for your holidays ,from waiting the busses witch are never on time ,with no A/C . pluss that you will be near to stegna beach and tsabika beach ,or from the atherside kalathos ,vleha and lindos :sun2 think about it !

harikleia
we always do hire a car - pick up and drop off at the airport - saves having to rely on coach transfers.

We have friends in Stegna so are staying there for the Lindos Rocks, but we will definitely be visiting Haraki.

Dave
would stay in Lindos, lovely when all the day trippers have gone on an evening, up on the rooftop restaurants. Went to Pefkos in a taxi one evening for a change but just got a taxi back and ate in Lindos. Our preference
Hi harikleia ....as you are local to Pefkos you can answer some of my questions....I dont like using my cards in the machines and dont fancy taking a lot of cash either...would it be easy to cash travelers cheques in Pefkos....
Aso we are booked for the Marianth apartments...I have read some good reviews but a lot more bad ones....they quote dirty apartments, facilities not good enough to self cater as dirty or no equipment....wires hanging out of walls...broken beds...general lack of maintainance....towels with holes in.....apartments not being cleaned on regular basis while you are there....towels and bed linen not being changed....and that there are 2 rotwielers let to roam free....I have 3 dogs myself 2 are big alsations ...so not usually afraid of big dogs but worried about this...
I went to Tolo in Argos on mainland in Nov and I couldnt fault the standards of cleanliness or maintanance in our self catering hotel...and that has set my standards for future holidays ...so am very worried about reviews of the Marianth apartments....I didnt do the bookings ....just went on reviews as was curious ....What do you know about these apartments....reviews say pool area very good and staff ect very nice....but that means nothing if accomodation not clean ect...
We stayed at the Matina Apartments last June with our 4 year old daughter and had a fantastic holiday. The apartments are right next to the beach and there are many bars / restaurants that lead up to the main drag. (we weren't keen on the Matina for a few reasons, but it's in a fab location)

We did find Pefkos very british, but due to it being purpose built there is no greek character, however the beach is gorgeous and the locals are so friendly! We eally miss Kostas from the fuse bar... :cheers Who sent us home with a huge bottle of Ouzo and kept our daughter happy evey night on the way out for a meal! We loved Lardos for a meal in the evening too!

The restaurants are brilliant, and i HIGHLY recommend hiring a car through George (we hired a suzuki Jimny 4x4 with air con and booster seat for 300 euros for the whole fortnight - he left it at the airport for us to collect, we visited him on our first morning to pay and he gace us a map with all the best places to visit and free parking). it was amazing adn we love Rhodes.

We would be going back this year (and probably would stay in Lindos as we fell in love with it) but i fell pregnant on holiday so baby is too young to visit when it's their season so we are going to Cyprus later on in the year!

However we will be returning next year and are getting married at Kalithea Spa.

So many beautiful beaches outside of Pefkos too!

I wouldn't walk to Lindosit is alot further than you think....
Well what can i say, we got married in Lindos and stayed in Pefkos. I loved Pefkos and went back again the year after (so have some of our wedding guests) I dont think it is too British, yes you could stay in Pefkos and go to Lindos every night coz its not that far in a taxi, i think it was about 5-6 euro each way, i wouldnt walk coz there is a lot of hills. I know a lot of people that have been to Pefkos and loved it and would go back again, i would go back tomorow but my Husband like to try different places.
Hope this helps a little :cheers
Definitely Pefkos because although i like Lindos, i would not wish to stay there.
It is very very crowded and the beach has no feel of space, but its great to just visit and very cheap to take a taxi.
I am going on my fourth visit to Pefkos this year, and i am quite fussy !
Phyll
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.