DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Well done, Hope you have a great time, great to save so much money.

Doe :wave
Just check that transfers between airport and hotel are included in the package; if not, they're your responsibility.
Yes, I booked the transfers at the same time - decided to use the shuttle at £56 return. Have looked at the Monarch website today at the normal package holidays - have saved myself a fortune by booking each element separately!!
Well done,I think I may try it next year.T.
I would highly recommend you do try doing it yourself. It's very easy on the internet. You have such a wide choice of accommodation and flights and can find places that are a bit more unusual/off the beaten track. You may also be able to save yourself a lot of money (no middle man to pay).
Hi I always do DIY holidays as the tour operators chrage too much. I have just booked me and my boyfriend 2 weeks in Turkey in July 2009 for £684 bed and breakfast. i went into Thomas cook and they were too charge me £900 for the same holiday. what a rip of
:sun2
i have just [recently] joined the forum,,so :wave: to everyone,,me +my fiancee,,judy have just booked our first [diy] holiday ,,we are going to gumbet,in july,,it has only cost us £635.00,,including transfers,,the same holiday in the travel agents is close to £980.00,,i think we will be doing it this way from now on,,judyian;;
Hi :wave:

Have just booked our first DIY for next year :yikes Decided to take the plunge after being given some rediculous quotes from Direct Holidays. Have booked 4 flights through BMIBaby flying out Fri 23rd July to Menorca for 2 weeks and have found a privately owned apartment to rent. Have just priced up an equivalent holiday based on this years prices with First Choice and the difference in price is £500. Just got to keep everything crossed that it all runs smoothly...if it does then I think it'll be the first of many!
Don't forget to organize your airport - resort transfers. ;)
How is it that every time somebody books a good deal and sav ing themselvies hundreds of pounds, you have somebody coming on laying down the damper "Dont forget to book your airport transfers" as if the people booking the DIY holiday were stupid or something?
well done all first timers you will be hooked now its allways a good feeling to get things cheaper,we were petrified the first time i done it,everything ran like clockwork so well done all :tup
Erm I don't think for one minute Sagres meant any such thing his comment was purely a helpful reminder :duh
Correct, Glynis -merely trying to be helpful to someone who, by their own admission, has never put together their own holiday before.
Over the years I've spoken to a few people who had overlooked this aspect of the holiday, having been used to the tour operator's coach being waiting for them on arrival at the airport. I hope that nicJW will have seen this as some well-meant, constructive advice, as most people seem to do. For anyone cynical enough to regard it as an attempt to put a damper on things.... tough!!!
Sagres - I would think that most people would have read that post in the spirit it was meant. :whoops :offtop We have done DIY many times now, and have saved a lot of money - no blips as yet. I did worry quite a bit the 1st time we did it this way, but I'm fine now. That's quite a bit of holiday spends for you there Nic. :)
Sagres - I have taken your advice exactly as you meant and absolutely agree it's something that a first timer could easily overlook. Haven't decided what we'll do as yet but have already priced up transfers to resort. We usually book a car in resort so will either book one from the airport instead (but seems a bit pricy as we'll need a bigger one for all the luggage!) or will book with a transfer company nearer the time. Thanks everyone for the good wishes too!! :cheers We have been to Menorca a few times and are going again this year so it seems a natural progression to DIY as we know the island quite well and feel very 'at home' there.
Thanks, Glynis, Helen and nic. I thought that's how sensible members would see it. ;)
I have booked DIY for a few holidays and I agree, the more helpful suggestions to avoid any upset, the better. :tup

It's so easy to forget some things that are generally 'all -in' a package holiday, like airport transfers. I was a nervous wreck the first time I went DIY in case anything went wrong or that I had forgotten something.

Fortunately, because I am a worrywort, I had everything covered - but mainly because of helpful suggestions from peeps on here. :)
Well I started this thread, so here is an update of my experience of DIY.

About 8 weeks before our holiday we received an email from Monarch stating our return flight had been altered and we had been put forward a day at no charge. However, when I contacted Monarch Hotels to change the number of days in the Rialto I had to pay £30 amendment fees - I did get a refund for the day lost which compensated for the fee.

The actual flight, transfer and hotel ran smoothly and I would definitely give DIY another go - in fact I'm waiting patiently for the Easter 2011 flights to go on sale!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.