Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
In Bangkok metered taxis are a cheap way to get around - just make sure they put the meter on. You're not too far from the river so you could use the Chao Phraya river boats as an inexpensive way of seeing some of Bangkoks main sites such as the Grand Palace, Wat Po Wat Arun. You could even use it to connect to the Skytrain at the Central Pier.

Plenty of restaurants and bars in the Karon area - its quite a large resort in its own right. I would say food standards are higher in Thailand than Egypt, its not a destination I would automatically think I was going to get tummy troubles. It's only a short taxi ride to Patong though prices are a bit high compared to the rest of Thailand due to the Phuket taxi mafia.
Found a link that details some restaurants in Karon to give you a feel for what's available

http://www.phuket.com/dining/karon.htm
Khao San Road is a great place for eating cheaply. We have looked at it a few times but to be honest prefer to be close to the Skytrain.
However, the river is definitely the transport for you. :) Use the tourist bus for your first day- a bit more expensive but I think its worth it. You can easily access a lot of spots, including Chinatown, Grand Palace and Temple of the Dawn. As Sunbear has also said, you can access the skytrain at Central Pier to reach other places.
Use the cheaper boats once you get your bearings- they are an experience :)
Sunbear and Fiona, thank you so much.
We will find our way round on the riverboat, it sounds really exciting. Like the idea we can link to the skytrain.
thank you for reassuring me about phuket too.
I cant wait but dont want to get all the way there and not have a clue.

thank you

hugs
If you're in Bangkok on a weekend than the Chatachuk market will keep you busy. Sells all kinds of things and has thousands of stalls. The Suan Lum night bazaar is also pretty good. But make sure its still open when you visit as they will be closing down the site soon...but then they have been saying its going to be closed for quite a while. MBK Plaza is famed for selling all manner of things from tshirts to copy bags etc. Not something we look for these days but many like it.

A nice trip out of the city is to the ancient capital of Ayutthaya. We went out by coach and came back on a river cruise, catching the sun and watching Thai life on the river.
There is also plenty to do in Karon, it is easy to get around and there are plenty of places to eat with so many international cuisines that will cater for even the most fussiest of eaters..I would not recommend Patong..it was ok to visit for a night out but I would not want to stay there..still that is only my opinion as I dont like over crowded "trashy" bar settings and Patong is full of that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.