Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
Evening Gentleharry,

Glad you had a good holiday despite the lack of live music, just out of curiousity, did you go to Danny Boy or Christy's??

They have always had live music in the past? I hope they haven't stopped it.

By all accounts the season in Salou is off to a very shaky start so don't know if thats anything to do with it (maybe the bars don't have the funds) although this will only put people off going this time of year in the future and in turn make the resort even quieter.

The Spanish resorts are really sufferring, hope its not permanent, Salou is a great place but the atmosphere is half the appeal.
thank you Mark for your very quick reply...............We have past by so many bars in salou I cant just place christy but passed by danny boy on a few occassions late afternoon. and what i can say is there was nothing hitting me in the face so to speak about live music in the evenings..........Let me tell you where Im coming from so to speak with this thread.........I had full board for 2 weeks, and ate plenty and loved it, and as the first few days went past I didnt mind because like other years , the wife and I would be dancing most nights....say 12 outta 14 nights which would help loose some of the extra weight :rofl .............But this time, not a rhumba / cha cha/square tango / saunter/quickstep/ country line dance / and not even the fun dance of the slush or birdie song, never mind an attempt at the spanish pasodoble lol..............for us it was so different in the evenings without this.

On this site over the previous months I have added that I cant speak any other language than english, but on the dance floor , dancing with different nationalities, to give the wife a rest, the feet did the talking lol............but nothing this year...............yes i too see a drop in the tel calls for gigs in northern ireland, but nothing thankfully of the drop seen between 7th - 21st may in salou............

sadly the weight is still on, and its off to the gym in the morning
harry
Thought i would add this today, to add to my post at start of the thread. Just to recap a little of my history.............i am a musician ( keyboards) and a very keen dancer, mostly latin, and ballroom, but mainly enjoy getting others perhaps sitting nervously wanting to get up, but dont, to get up and have a go ............Anyway this chappy recently at the golden port hotel in may, who was advertised as " live music"...........(clearly wasnt when using records, midi files on a turn table) You may already have read my previous post, and if the chappy had any previous experience he should know that when you succeed in getting folks onto the dance floor, you never should alter the tempo on the second tune so drasically ( excuse spelling)..........when you get people onto the floor, keep them on the floor..........SO ...... one more incident happened, and it was when he put on the song for " achy breaky heart ", which many many folks learing line dance would be their first expereice of doing a line dance called " electric slide.........with approx 10 on the floor, he stopped the tune early on shouting " no no..........Im in charge.......this is how you should do it "..........His way included approx 8 steps extra, that he said the french do lol..............did he not know that perhaps present on the floor where people who spent weeks / months going to dance class and one of the dances taught was the " electric slide ".......so those folks feeling they new the steps, and had a go, where not now being allowed to do it, they way they knew, but had to do it his way lol.....................members again left the floor.................As you can guess perhaps, this chappy got an earful from me during his break
this message is most likely in the wrong thread, but wanted to add it here ref " spain having a diff time "..........As i have mentioned here over time I have been in salou a lot of times over the last 20 times..........i simply love it..........Witht that in mind, the wife and i popped into our local thompsons office to get a price for mid may 2011, as the window showed a large notice ref holidays for 2011.

Shock and horror when i learnt that the 1st flight from northern ireland ( belfast international ) next year to costa dorada was..........27th May 2011...........this year we where back after 2 weeks hols in salou on the 25th may, again using thompsons............I got up and walked out..........changing times
:que

Harry
Is a change of tour operator in the pipeline for you??

Thomas Cook Airlines will be operating for the Summer 2011 season from Belfast with the first flight on Sunday 01 May. :cheers
thank you Mark for your reply and nope there is no problem with using another company.......it was just a thought on leaving thompsons after that remark, and remembering my thoughts on live entertainlment earlier this year while in salou......... A thought of " O dear "

usually we are on holidays somewhere is spain at this time of the year, but prices a little too high, so Im gonna organise 7 days of carry out meals here in Belfast for us both next week lol instead..........( no dishes to wash and no cooking for 7 days lol still the order of the day lol

Thanks again for the reply

Harry
Please can somebody with recent knowledge tell me there is some live music in Salou, surely there must be some, it makes my holiday to go out and usely for the cost of a few drinks be entertained. last year in Majorca we went out and found live entertainment every night for two weeks and even got locked out of the hotel
altho having written this sort of " downer " ref live entertainment in salou in may of this year, I am chuffed to be adding tonight that the wife and i have booked next years holiday in Cambrills / salou.
We simply love the resort of cambrills / salou / la pineda and yes i wasnt happy with the live entertainment this year, but will not let it put me off our next holiday in 2011........we depart in early june for 2 weeks. heres hoping for a 2 week holiday to include dancing most of the 14 nights.

harry
Gentleman Harry, I am off too Salou next weak and love live entertainment as well, I will try to find some and report when I return hope it has improved this end of the season
thank you shrimper for your very quick reply, and thank you for the thoughts of keeping me informed ref live music. I like many others here wish you and your friends/ party a good holiday and safe travel there and back. I would say mind the calories but nayyyyyyyyyyyy just enjoy yourself. i will be looking forward to reading your messages on your return........You will of course be doing your packing in the next few days, and please dont be like the wife lol ( the term "kitchen sink" comes to mind..........i trust the weather will be to your liking
and NOT rain as we are expecting here in N ireland over this weekend.......................

Enjoy

PS...........i am an oldie, and not into disco live music, so with that in mind, please keep me posted
im an oldie but very proud of it lol

Harry

PS..............PLEASE READ THE THREAD REF " CHEAP BUS TRAVEL "
Gentleharry, As one oldie to another it will not be disco music I will report on when I get back, In the last two weeks we have been to see a country tribute and buddy Holly and the Cricketers also a partial to glam rock
GentleHarry, you were right unfortunatly about the music, there are some every night at Dannyboy and 007 and the Robin hood but very lacking against Majorca.The bars on the front were great for a very relaxing drink and view. We did have a good holiday and used the bus pass as you suggested and used the saving to have a drink with a view!!
hi and thank you " shrimper " for your reply, and surpried in part ref the live entertainment. I was sort of hoping it was because my hols where in early may 2010, perhaps just out of season. As mentioned earlier I am a musician and have found a slight lack of phone call bookings here in northern ireland..........but thankfully nothing like what i seen or didnt see in may in salou.............While typing this message I have just remembered that I have a tel number of a fellow keyboard player that i enjoyed in " best cambrills" ( cambrills princess ) on several occassions. Indeed i played for 15 mins on his once while he had a break ..............Now where did i put it lol grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Booked for next year in june , and wont let this put me off...................Will let you know of any info from him in spain, if i can get a hold of it lol

Im glad to read you had a good holiday
hi all....last week I took my lad and a friend for 4 days to Salou as a birthday treat....went there on hols for about 10yrs but not been for last 3 yrs.....one night the lads went into the 007 and I went into Danny Boys ( on my own as hubby couldnt come Salou with us) which is near enough next door....there was a really good singer on and I really enjoyed my evening ....there was live music everynight....me and hubby used to go there every year for an evening out and it was always a good one....tweetie

ps... was told most of Salou was closing down from monday ( today) as the season has been very poor
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.