Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Jacky if I can do paella without mussels then that's fine by me (have developed an allergy to them). I do though, make a lovely risotto & will be following Sanji's helpful info for my ingredients :tup
Davanne21 wrote:
Oh i really really hate paella :-(

:rofl @ Davanne
I'm not fond of the paella most tourists have, I can eat a bit of it, have you ever tried a Paella Valenciana Davanne.?
My friend's (now ex-husband) called Alfonso, would get really 'uptight' about this, and he would tell you that anything outside of Valencia or I should say anything other than a paella Valenciana recipe, are just rice dishes.

Like the stew, it needs time and forget the rabbit, you can just use all chicken.
One big problem, you need a paella pan before you can do anything.! :lol:

Here's an authentic recipe for Paella Valenciana
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/authentic-paella-valenciana/Detail.aspx
Sanji, you're a star! We're going self catering in just over 3 weeks, for mainly the same reasons as yourself. We won't be cooking all the meals, we will be eating out a fair bit, but those receipts you posted were really useful. I now know to look for estofado for stewing beef, and managed to work out what most of the stuff on the receipts were (I think lol) and it also gives me an idea on what to budget, as we're going for 3 weeks and have only been self catering twice before and that was a long time ago.
We will I'm sure be having breakfast every day in the apartment, and then eat the rest in or out as the fancy takes us, and your post has certainly given us some ideas, thankyou..... :tup
Edited spelt estofado wrong lol
Davanne I am not keen of Paella either, ok. at first but it never seems to go down in the dish. I don't trust it in restaurants as I have been told they throw all the left overs in it. Prefer a nice stew and dumplings any day :)

If you go to any spanish fish market they will fill you a bag of assorted fish and shellfish pieces for paella for about 4 euro. They all sell paella pieces in the freezer section of supermarkets.

The secret of a good paella is to never stir it and it forms a crust on the bottom of the pan (called soccorat in spanish). Most spanish families argue who will get the crust as it is the tastiest bit :tup
Sanji i could just about cope with that recipe, if i left out the rabbit & the butter beans :( lol ...have saved the link as loads of other good recipes on there to.. :wave:

Jacky, i have tried paella twice, the 2nd time was in Ronda on a coach trip..OMG it was horrid :rofl all four of us on our table sent it back via the tour guide, we ended up with chicken & chips, everyone else then complained :D order was restored with everyone being offered a free drink..2hrs later the tour was halted by 12 tourists all needing the loo.. :yikes

Think you maybe right when you say anything gets thrown in !!

We love Sp beef stew though, we have this as a tapas, with tortilla..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.