France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
I've recommended the ETAP hotels on the other post that you have made Nichola.
Will you be mobile? It might be that there are nicer hotels a bit further away from the port area, or even on the way to wherever you're going if you're not simply spending a day or weekend in Dunkerque.
Alsa

You have possibly missed Nichola's other post on the same subject. She is camping in France in June but just wants a hotel near the Dunkerque post for one night. I think the Etap would fit the bill but you possibly know more hotels in the area. Have you ever used any of the FI hotels?

Judith
Thanks Judith! I haven't seen Nichola's other post, but now you've told me where to look ....

I've used F1s a lot, but the BIG downside is having to put on something if you need to go for a pee in the night and have to go down the communal corridor ... that and having to memorise your 6 digit door key number!! Etaps are much more comfy because the shower and loo are in the room with you.

Two VERY important things for both Etaps and F1s:-

BRING SOAP

BRING YOUR OWN SINK PLUG

Neither are supplied because they both disappear with each guest!! And the towels are TINY handkerchief-sized more often than not!!

Although both sets of properties are non-smoking, there is sometimes a residual smell depending on the age of the building. Many properties are being 'renovated' which is a very good thing. Incidentally the ladder up to the top bunk is VERY SLIPPERY so do take care if you have a child using this to get up and down - rather than crash-landing on top of you!!
Bear in mind the ferry port at Dunkirk is miles away from the town and not in a very nice area (lots of heavy industry). Dunkirk itself is also a bit of a dump (we stayed in the IBIS a couple of years back). The hotel was fine but we ended up eating there as the town was completly shut after about 6pm! You may be better staying at a small town a little inland, the drive to the port won't be much longer than the drive from Dunkirk to the port anyway.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.