Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
We went to the Port Aventura back in 2002 shortly after it had opened and despite intial teething problems (which gave HolidayTruths it's longest ever thread, I think !!) we had a very nice time. The rooms were good, the food was nice and the main pool is lovely. The hotel directly abuts the park so you literally walk through a turnstile and you're in.

This year we're trying the Caribe, mainly because it gets great reviews and it's the cheapest of the three. I get the idea it's not an actual Universal hotel but a "preferred partner" which means you don't get all the extras of the El Paso and Port Aventura like character breakfasts. But you do get the all important daily park entry included as well as the aqua park (once per stay in high season).
They were building the Caribe when we at at the PA in 2002 and it's located at the end of the PA's fairly long driveway, so I guess it's a 10 minute walk to the park, although there is a frequent road train service.

The park is excellent, right up there with DisneyLand Paris (though I haven't been since the new area has opened) and you have the benefit of a better climate and a beach a stones throw away.

By the way, I'd highly recommend DIY for the hotels (we used find-rooms.com) along with a Ryanair flight to Reus. We got the week in August for £1150 for 2 Adults/2Children on half board, whereas the cheapest brochure (Eclipse) price was £1900.
Thanks so much for your information on find-rooms.com. I'm already booked to go to the El Paso in June this year but I've been looking at the Caribe resort for next year (I too like to plan ahead!). Based on this years prices at find-rooms, I could save myself a small fortune doing a DIY holiday. Although I live in Scotland and it may prove trickier to get a flight to Reus, it's well worth looking into. Let us know how your stay is at the Caribe. Happy holidays!
I know there are various topics covering each ones merits but we are about to book for July/Aug 2007 and were all set to go for the Caribe - but somethings nagging me that the Port Aventura hotel might be the one to go for!! For some reason some of the reviews have put us off the El Paso - not sure if that is fair or not?

We will have an 8 yr old and a 2 and a half year old this time next year - not sure if that makes a difference in hotel choice there?

Also - do any / all of them still give you quicker access to the rides / transport around the resort?

Many Thanks.

Chris.
:) Hi me my fiance and 5yr old son are going to port aventura on sept 22nd this year and we are booked into the hotel port aventura,we wanted an on site hotel and read through loads of reviews on the other 2 hotels,and decided to go with the hotel port aventura in the end.
You do get unlimited access to the park and fast pass on the rides so you dont have to wait as long,and free transport to the 2 beaches 4 times a day,you also get free access to the private beach that is opening this month wich you dont with the other 2 hotels and i have read a few reviews of people debating which hotel and they were glad they picked the hotel port aventura,hope this helps,
annx
Ann

Thnx for that - this is why i'm confused - some places seem to state that you get the same passes at all 3 (fast/express for rides, one day in water park, access to beach club) others seem to make it hotel specific!!

Aghh!!

Think I may have to bite the bullet and book by phone!!
:) well i was on computer none stop before i decided which 1 to go 4 and the hotel port aventura seems to be the only 1 thats clear about wat you get cause that seems to be the main resort hotel and its litteraly right next to the park entrance aswell so its easy to pop back to the hotel specially with kids hope you do book the hotel also dont know who you are booking with but we booked with thomas cook and i have searched every travel place goin and i cant get it cheaper than thomas cook,
annx
I can't get Thomas Cook website to give me a quote under £5k!! Although think they have a problem as it's pricing for 4 adults and I can't get it to do anything else!!

Anyone else got any input on this - Caribe looks like it's got better pools and we will stay round them for a good deal of hol as wife likes to relax in the sun - I'm reckoning 2 days in PA (plus some evenings perhaps), 1 in water park, a day in Barcelona, so the hotel has to be nice!!
Hiya,

I just got back from the Caribe on Sunday, we went as a family (kids ages 7 & 3). We thoroughly enjoyed it and I would reccommend it. Yes you do get express passes to the park-which is one entry each (without queueing) to all of the main rides before 9pm and unlimited entry to them after 9pm each ride has little box next to it written on your ticket and they cross it off once you've used it but after 9pm it doesnt make any difference as you can use the pass as many times as you like. You get a 1 day pass to the waterpark but you dont get to choose the day on which you go when you check-in at reception they already have the day allocated to you, and yes you get access to the private beach club at the caribe also but for some reason they dont give it to the El Paso.

The food was quite good and we never had any problems with queues, considering that we went in peak time, although on the 'speciality' night it we noticed on our way out that there was a queue to get in as lots of people from the other hotels come in for it.

Our room was right next to the beach type pool, which was ideal for the kids lots of sun loungers and no trouble in getting them either. We spent lots of time here-it was bliss!

The only down side was the trek to the park! The trams werent very regular, we got sick of waiting and just walked it all of the time in the end and we were always there before the tram was. It's about a 15min walk which wasnt too bad but I'd have preferred it if i didnt have to do it!

Oh and the kids disco and evening entertainment was good too although the disco could have been a bit longer, but the kids absolutely loved it and thats the main thing I suppose, they also put on Pantomimes which were great and other acts like singers and acrobats/magicians.

Hope thats of some use to you, like i said we loved it. The hotel is lovely (though expensive!) and you'll probably find that the staff rarely get your drinks order correct! but all in all we thought it was great and had a fantastic holiday-I hope you do too wherever you choose! :)

Karen.xx
Karen

Thanks very much for that - a very helpful review.

The trouble with the internet age is you can spend all your time reading reviews, and even if 1 in 10 is negative you then start looking for more reasons not to book!!
Just to throw in my two pence worth. We went to the El Paso last August and we really liked it, kids were 12 & 10 at the time and want to go back.

One plus is that the rooms are large and have a good sized bunk bed for the children and two twins next to each other for the adults. This means a family of four rarely need 2 rooms which can keep the cost down. I think the Caribe has mainly 3 bedded rooms. It also has a lovely large pool and you could always get a sun-bed.

The food was fine and the location was good as it's half way between the Port Aventura Hotel and the Caribe Hotel (about 7mins walk to the theme park, but the shuttle bus passes by as well).

One thing that I was told about the Port Aventura hotel is that some of the rooms back on to the theme park and can be very noisy. I think if I booked that one I would ask for a room the otherside of the hotel as at sometimes of the year the park is open till midnight all week.
Try http://www.eclipsedirect.co.uk web-site they do these hotels and can be competative on price. I'm sure they wouldn't be 5K :shock: Last time I looked it was about 3.5K for a family of 4 last two weeks in July 07.
Cheers for that - rang Eclipse last night - the lady there had been to both Caribe and PA and liked Caribe better so that's swung it for sure I think!!!
Hi,

I stayed at the Port Aventura hotel two years ago. The hotel is pretty damn good, the only thing i can complain about is the restaurent at evening meal and breakfast time. I think lots of people have stated the same issues about not many high chairs. Other than that i cant complain and will go back in a few years when my two daughters are a little older. Night time entertainment is good as well.

Overall all three hotels have different good and bad points, Port Aventura hotel is the closest to the park !, but who care, grab a tan while you walk to it
:) thanx that is really helpful to me as i am going in september,
annx
Hiya,

If you want to be on the parks doorstep I would choose the Port Aventura one if you want to be nearer to Salou itself I would choose the Caribe.
I stayed at the El paso this year and although it was fine it was not fantastic.
I am nosey and love reading holiday reviews on the net the El Paso is not scoring very well at the moment.
We stayed at the port aventura hotel a couple of years ago and it was excellent especially for the kids. The characters pink panther etc came round in the morning when having breakfast for photos with the kids and in the evening You have your own entrance straight into the theme park and were able to come and go as you please. The pools were excellent and the hotel was always spotless. It was expensive to buy drinks at the hotel and there was no supermarket on site or near.
Would recommend it no problem
we loved el paso oct 2005 and have rebooked for oct 2007,i think some of tthe reviews are a little unfair,but if it has really changed that much wont be impressed,but heres hopin mo :)
Have just returned from a week in the Hotel Port Aventura and was thoroughly impressed and had a great time !

The Mrs wanted to go to 'Euro Disney' but this was out of my budget, although when I went to Thomas Cook to book the Hotel Port Aventura they quoted me £2900+ for 2 adults and 2 childeren going half board. Decided to book independently through 'Travel Republic' and 'Ryan Air' and got the price to £1700 ...bargain !

My daughters are 5 & 3 and I have to say having the park entrance on your door step was a BIG advantage. I was going to book the El Paso and because of this I walked there one morning to check it out, the hotel itself seemd OK, although not a patch on the Port Aventura, but the main drawback is the walk to the park. Although it only took about 10 mins, uphill, having children it would have been a pain each evening...think you might be able to get a mini train back though ??

My room was of a fair size and overlooked the smaller pool, water fall and lagoon, which made for a grat view. You do hear the main show each eveing , 11.45pm, but for 6 of the 7 days we were in the park at this time and the 1 evening when we wasn't we had a great view of the fireworks from our balcony.

The food was also good, breakfast consisted of fruits, pasteries, and of course the full english, dinner was a good selection of pasta, fish, rice and meats, all very good but a tad repetative come the end of the week.

The main pool in the hotel is set in a logoon style, with a water fall, pleasent surroundings and very child friendly...all very impressive.

Plenty of characters were seen at the hotel, Woody Woodpecker, Mrs Woodpecker, Pink Panther, Popeye, Shrek, and all put themselves out to make the kids feel special.

We found the best way to enjoy the park was in the evening after dinner, was not as hot, no where near as busy, and the longest I queued for a ride was 20 mins...although after 9pm you can 'fast-trak' the major rides which is great. Because the holiday was about the children I went to the park one morning as it opened, 10am, and took in the 4 major adult rides within 45 mins, and most of this was walking to the different areas of the park.

The Water Park was well worth it, spent the whole day there, but remember to hold on to your rubber rings as the spanish kids attempt to pinch them !

A great hotel, great holiday, but with 2 young children, I was pleased we only booked a week.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.