Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
Hi Anna,

Theres plenty to do if your 5 year old is over 1.2 meters as this seems to be the height restriction for the majority of the rides. and they are VERY strict on this !

All in all there are 11 rides which are considered 'kids' rides, but on top of this there are a further half a dozen rides you should be able to use as long as their accompanied by an adult. My 5 year old really enjoyed the 2 rollercoasters, Tami-Tami & Tomahawk, and amazingly was able to ride the El Diablo, runaway train to you and me, when I accompanied her.

On top of this there are 14 shows, don't miss the acrobats in China Town, and the Temple Del Fuego in Mexico, and theres also a great playground area also in China Town.

Don't overlook the Caribe Water Park as well as my 2, aged 3 & 5, loved it.

To place a figure on my daily budget is a little difficult as most of the days we ate really well at breakfast meaning come lunch time we weren't really hungry. We ate again around 7pm and because it was a buffet dinner, again we ate really well !

I was expecting the park to be really expensive, and although it's a tad expensive, I wouldn't say overly so. A pint of lager was around £2, and a botle of Coke being about the same, Hot Dogs & Burgers were £2.50, and Ice Lollies and Ice Cream being anything between £1 - £3. Please note this is only a rough guide !

A couple of tips ;

Top up with juice at breakfast. My 2 daughters both had there own juice cups and filled them to the brim before we left each morning. You may also want to take a couple of pasteries at breakfast as well, I wasn't keen on doing this at first but everyone seemed to be doing this.

Try to avoid the park in the day time as it gets so busy and the heat is unbearable.

The (bigger) pool area in the Hotel is amazing, make good use of it.

I always managed to get my daughters back to the room around 4pm and let them sleep until 6pm, this way they were able to enjoy the park right up until midnight every day !

Try to do the park in zones, this way you'll not miss anything, also plan the shows you want to see in advance and plan your day/evening around them.

The park is VERY big, make use of the Steam Train and River Boat to get around the park, and don't what ever you do forget your buggy

The big show at the end of the night starts at 11.45pm, make a point of getting there early one night to enjoy it, I found the best view was at the 'beach' area as you enter the park form the Hotel.

We visited Tarrogona which we got a taxi to, it was Ok and I'm glad we done it and it made a good change of scene. Theres a small shoppingg mall there which we visited and then walked to the main square which has an amazing view of the ocean and a near by Amphitheatre which was well worth a look, did have trouble getting a taxi home though and spent 30 mins looking for one !

I know you'll have a great time, and if you have any further questions...don't hesitate to ask

Jazza
:) Thanx for your help some really helpful information my son doesnt go in a pram now but i know he will be complaining about his legs acheing lol so do u think i should take a buggy with us, and we are going for 2 weeks but its a bonus that we are right by the hotel so we can pop back when we want easy, also the prices at the park dont seem to be much different to the theme parks in this country do they.

i hope my little boy can go on alot of the rides cause hes a little dare devil we took him to drayton manor park last week and he loved it i measured him there and he was just over a meter tall so fingers crossed,we are all really looking forward to it now.
Thanx.
ann :)
hi,large buggys can be hired in the park,they dont look babyish,more like a carraige thing.my son was 1 meter tall when we went and he could go on tomahawk which is a substantial roller coaster for kids, plenty of adults without kids went on it,my son hated it it was a bit much for him.sea oddesy is an interactive ride that you will all be able to go on,its excellent,but as people have said before they are very strict,it sounds bad but i used to stretch his head up straight because it makes a difference.as for hotels we loved el paso,and having looked at the other hotels on site we have booked for oct 2007 for the halloween theme, brill.
:) Thanx alot thats really helpful of you glad there will be some good rides he can go on we, will be there for the first 6 days in october will the halloween theme be started then do you know,
ann
is the entertainment in the portaventura hotel any good??? what sort of entertainment do they provide in the evenings and in the day??

do they do bingo..my daughter loves bingo

do they allow inflatables in the pool?? do they do pool games??
I have decided to do one of these hotels in July 2008 but can't make up my mind as to which one. Has anyone been to both of these and which would you recommend? Only myself and a 10 year old daughter so priority is entertaining her. If she is happy I can relax with a good book and a little glass of sangria!

We went to Calypso last year and had a great time. Prices this year seem to have jumped for the Calypso so I have decided to spend a little more and go for one of the above.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Merged with existing topic.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.