Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I don't know about RC, but some ships have 220v sockets in the hallways.

luci :wave
I think you will need to contact the company.

I am sure that you have already had to explain about your son using a wheelchair when you made your booking, and if they don't have the right type of plug/voltage in your cabin, they may have something more suitable in the crew area or in the engineering section.

Maybe you could arrange for the battery to be collected by a responsible member of the crew for charging say in the evening when you go to bed and brought back in the morning before breakfast .... or they may have an inverter that will convert the current in your cabin to the correct voltage for recharging the wheelchair.

How long does the battery take to recharge? Might it be worth bringing a spare whilst the principle one is being recharged so your son is assured of mobility?
MY recomendation even if the research says it is ok is to check with the cabin steward as soon as you board and get enginering if needed.

The cabin power runs things like hair dryers and coffee machines which will be in the same ball park. 2kw range.
Not sure about the disabled access cabins but take a standard extension strip and a EU 2pin adaptor the socket is above the desk in regular cabins.

There will be a power point in the corridor that is used for the vaccums and other equipment like big dryer that will be no problem.
Often people park their scooter outside to charge to give more room.
Thanks for the replies on this, and sorry to SMa if I caused confusion by opening two threads in diff areas.
I have discussed this with Gills who I booked through and they don't really know, although they have been trying their best to find out and will get RC to send a medical form on which I need to identify our requirements and powerchair details.

The point Alsacienne makes about removal of the battery and separate recharging is unfortunately not an option. This chair is very complex, weighs 140kg (!!!) and runs off two very large (like big car batteries) 12v gel batteries an I would need to take the chair apart to get at them.
The batteries can take many hours to charge and sometimes need to be left on overnight.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing as I am sure lots of people have travelled this way with either powerchairs or mobility scooters. Its just as you are all aware cruising is expensive and I don't want to c*ck up on our first holiday this way.

In addition to contacting the company and making sure I have it all on paper, I will also do as Windjammer says and take an extension lead in addition to the travel adapter.

Thanks

MD.
Hi Meggiedude, I wasn't confused - just being lazy about replying in two threads :D

SM
That sounds a very heavy chair, and my apologies for not having realised the complexity of the recharging operation. I think that contacting the cruise company is your best bet. I hope you get the reassurance and the service you are hoping for and both of you will have a lovely time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.