Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Go to the Towsure website and take a look

BUT

if you are going abroad you do need a few adapters get back to me and I will explain in detail if you need the info
Hi years ago my son had a tent and bought the electric hook up consumer unit they are about £150-£199 if you are going to go away with a club ie Camping and Caravan or Caravan club you will find most of their meets dont have electric. Some big sites do but can be expensive £2-£4 per night on top of site fees.
We have a motorhome and are away most weekends in it. We are members of the Camping and Carravan club and they have some great meets. Hope this helps if you need any more info contact me. 8) 8)
ps. An elec hook up enables you to use electric appliences in your tent, but most sites limit the amps if you get an elec hook up dont forget you will have to carry lots of electric things as well ie, cooker kettle etc. :gluck
Hi years ago my son had a tent and bought the electric hook up consumer unit they are about £150-£199 if you are going to go away with a club ie Camping and Caravan or Caravan club you will find most of their meets dont have electric. Some big sites do but can be expensive £2-£4 per night on top of site fees.

In the UK this is now Illegal - site owners can not charge separately for electricity

Abroad it's different but most sites we have just stayed on on our 3 week trip only charge €2-€3 a night extra

For tent camping unless you are prepared to lug loads of stuff in a trailer it's not worth it as the extras soon mount up and sites do have restrictions on how many amps you can use
Abroad they are a lot lower than in the UK in Italy it can be as low as 3 amps and my Fridge on the van takes 4amps :cry:
Lots of big sites ie Haven etc advertize pitches with and without elec.
I know a lot of sites advertise pitches with and without electric but now in this country they can not sell you a pitch with the price broken down into

Pitch+electric £XX

it's got to be Pitch including electric £XX

As the law stands they are not allowed to make a profit from selling on electricity to customers ??

Daft isn't it
yes it is daft,the prices some sites add on for elec is awful, we where going to Tenby last year and they where adding on £4.50 per night for hookup. There is no way you could use that much.
Hi there .

Argos are selling hook up cables at the moment.I can't remember how much for.Try ebay as you can get one much cheaper there.There is a "male" and "female " pug on each end.This is to enable the cable to be plugged into the supply on site and then into a caravan or motorhome.If it is to be used for a tent, it's possible to replace one of the plugs (I can't remember which one!) with an extension type socket and then appliances can be plugged into it as normal.A circuit breaker plug (RCD) is a good idea but isn't totally neccessary as the electric outlet should (by law) have one fitted as standard.When I last went camping, I had such a cable with a 4 gang extension plugged into it and I had an electric coolbox, a heater and a tv running of it!there is an apater available (again Argos or ebay) which allows items with a cigarette lighter type plug to be plugged into the mains.This is very useful for electric coolboxes, phone chargers etc.

I hope this info helps.If I can be of any more assistance feel free to get in touch.

David
Sorry!

But I meant to say that an electrical hook up is an absolute must if you are like my Mrs. and can't do without your GHD's!!
Hi Dave

The standard hook up is cheap (£25ish) but the consumer unit is :shock:

as a ready made unit they are actually cheaper :roll: which is amazing

Also it's not worth buying separates and doing it yourself as they are supposed to be done by a qualified sparky
Hi there madcaravanner!

No probs mate.I appreciate what you are saying but I'm only giving my opinion in what I have done in the past. In an ideal world we would all be able to afford to pay in exces of £75 for a cable with a consumer unit already fitted but there are a lot of folk out there who are working on a budget.
I myself have personally purchased a hook up cable and fitted a rubber trailing socket, and then added an RCD for a fraction of the cost of the "ready made" variety.If I thought that this would be in any way unsuitable or dangerous then I would never have suggested it.
Anway must dash as I've a tent to look out for the forthcoming weekend.I hope it stays dry, not that I'm too bothered, the summer hols will be here soon enough!
Take care and all the best.

Dave
Dave
No probs there mate

I know all about tight budgets going to chat to a moderator about a new thread about how to get some camping FREE
Take a look here!
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=81
We have a 3 plug one and it's fab!
It's got a curcuit breaker, so no problem
We got ours from here
http://www.camping-online.co.uk/ELECTRIC-HOOK-UPS-AND-ACCESSORIES/
a few years back and paid about £60, but they've gone down in price and I think £40-£50 is the norm

Also there are alot of places still charging extra to the pitch for electricity!
Were going to Grondre nr Narbeth (nr tenby) and were paying £15 per night for a tent, car 4 people with elec.

this one is £2.50 but I know i've seen loads doing it http://www.diamondfarm.co.uk/prices.htm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.