Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
numberplease wrote:
My sister has just phoned to say that the site in Scotland that they`re going to next month, and where they`ve been before, has informed them that instead of the usual nightly charge for electric hook up, the site owner is now charging at a rate of 12p per unit. Is this allowed, I`ve never come across it before?

I'd check with the electric people or at least the caravan club as far as I know this is actually illegal as they would be construed as making a profit from the resale of electricity

Personally I'd go somewhere else that doesn't try to rip folk off with supercharges
Easy to argue they aren't making a profit - 12p per unit isn't expensive. If they are charging per unit they need to read the meter and that person needs paying to read it and produce a bill - this isn't illegal.

It could actually work out cheaper than the £2-5 a night sites now charge for the privilege of having power.

No surprise it's going that way considering how dependent some campers are on gadgets.

Our neighbours go camping and treat it as home from home. They take a microwave, fan heater, TV, DVD, hairdryer, fridge, radio, computer and numerous main voltage lights!
daveyjp wrote:
Easy to argue they aren't making a profit - 12p per unit isn't expensive. If they are charging per unit they need to read the meter and that person needs paying to read it and produce a bill - this isn't illegal.

It could actually work out cheaper than the £2-5 a night sites now charge for the privilege of having power.

They may not be making a profit but the law is that theyt are not allowed to sell on electricity it must be provided as part of the package not separate
So charging for electricity separately IS actually illegal

LOL
as for your neighbours not unusual we were in Blanes Spain last year and watched a Dutch couple unload

Dishwasher
Fridge
Freezer
Washing machine
42 inch Flat screen TV and glass stand
2 laptops
2 normal bikes
Reclining chair
and a large glass topped dining table

all out of their caravan -- they must have been SERIOUSLY overloaded but didn't care if we took half of that in this country and got stopped :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.