EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Fear not Toasted! Nothing is going to change for a bit ... until January 2008 at the earliest, because nothing has yet been set in stone.

What has happened is this. Finally the government has realised that the health system in the country is in a perilous state financially.

So, the plan is to charge a bit more (not a lot, a few euros at most) for medicines, and NOT be reimbursed neither by the state nor by the sick person's mutuel. There is always the possibility that a visit to the doctor may cost you more (currently 22€) and that extra bit will not be reimbursed (we're again talking one or two euros at most here), and finally that some more medicines will not be reimbursed (as is the case at present with some non-generic medications).

There will be no difference to visitors/foreigners living here as regards their rights to treatment, and I don't think that there is anything to worry about for folk who are retiring here, or living here or visiting from the EC.

Please keep asking if this doesn't help and I'll try again! I did speak to a couple of friends who are pharmacists (in different towns) and they are not sure that these reforms will be carried out 'on the nod' or in their present case!
Alsacienne

Am I interpreting your post correctly that medical treatment in France is free, apart from a small amount for doctors visits and medicines?
As you know I live in Germany but have been thinking about relocating to France, here in Germany we have to pay quite a large sum monthly for medical insurance, plus payments for medicine and visits to doctors. Not having to pay insurance would certainly be a bonus.
Hello Judith!

Sorry if I gave the impression that medical treatment was free in France - it's not!

But many people who work for french companies are enrolled by them in a Mutuel which is a company that pays a certain percentage of medical fees - ie making up the reimbursement after the state has paid its part sometimes up to 100% of the cost depending on where you live in France.

Everything costs ... you pay up front for consultations with doctors and dentists and some presecription medication is 'free' in that the state absorbs the cost, but the rest you have to pay for at the chemist's at the time you get it. The government is trying to get people to accept generic brands of medication rather than 'named labels' as it's cheaper to produce.

I can't really comment on your specific circumstances as I don't know enough - would you/your partner be working here? Also many expats I know who are Germans or Brits who have previously worked in Germany and paid into the German system, tend to nip back over the border for treatment because they consider it cheaper and better ... but then there is a certain cross-border attitude between the Germans and the French in some regards that seems all too familiar to that held by some Brits and the French!!

Should you wish to pm me, I'll try to find out more detailed info.

All best wishes,

Alsa xxx

PS I believe that my husband's company make payments to the mutuel every month ... a perk(?) of the job maybe!
:thanks Alsa,
That's reassuring. Am I correct in thinking that if you relocate to France but are not yet retirement age & don't work, you need private health cover? And has this always been the case anyway?
(Still harbouring the dream!)
Alsa

Many thanks, we are both now retired. We have been living in Germany for many years and are ready for a change. It's just an idea at the moment and as we both like France it is high on the list of places we are considering.

Judith
Hi Toastedmallow! Always nice to chat with you!

Please note that this information is applicable to those in the UK and not in Eire which has its own reciprocal arrangements with other EU countries of which I know NOTHING at all.

I think it depends on your employment position when you come to France - if you are coming to work for a French employer, you should be able to join the regular system, however if it's for retirement, unless you renounce British RESIDENCY (I did NOT say citizenship for those who think I'm being nationalistic!!) and do not live in the UK for more than 182 days in any tax year, you may have to subscribe to a private insurance plan.

If you retain British residency, ie you live in the UK for 183 days a year or more in any one tax year, you will still be considered as being a UK citizen for health purposes and will have to have a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card ... that wot replaced the beloved E111), to show at each time you go to the doc's.

You'll then pay as a French person for the visit and the meds prescribed, and have to make a claim for reimbursement at the local CPAM (Caisse Primaire de Maladie ... local government health office). This will take time - French bureaucracy is not known for it's speed!!

You should also be paying NI contributions in the UK at the same time. We (hub and I) both pay Class 3, which ensures our pension rights, but you may need to pay Class 2 which covers not only pension but sickness benefits, and therefore if you are in the UK as a resident, you can claim as normal when you are in the UK and fall ill.

Hope this helps a bit! I would certainly not be afraid to contact the department of health and ask them detailed questions either in person or in writing, as they must get this sort of question asked on a regular basis!

All good wishes,

Alsa xxx

PS Judith, glad my previous post might have helped, again always good to hear from you and read your posts.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.