Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Health issues
21 Posts
Judging by the amount of human excrement lying around

:yikes Really?......any thoughts I ever had of going have just gone right out the window now.
Graham
Dave has posted some really sensible advice. Its really worth going to Goa, and IMO combine it with seeing a little more of India.
I agree that Dave's advice is 100% sound but it just seems odd on a holiday forum!

Rabies, parasitic worms, hepatitis, malaria, human excrement.....what a fun holiday!! Why do we keep going back?

I love Goa and am returning next year. It's a great place when the sun's shining, the food's great and the drink cheap but it's not a place I would like to be when things start going wrong. I'm sure most of us have had the odd day or two of Delhi Belly but I would hate to contract a serious illness over there. We went into Vrundivan Hospital last year and it's not a place I would like to spend time in.

So Dave's right, wash hands and take sensible precautions!

Incidentally a woman from Bury contracted Rabies in Goa about 5 years ago. Sadly, and inevitably (unless treatment is administered immediately) with that disease, she died.
roma wrote:
I agree that Dave's advice is 100% sound but it just seems odd on a holiday forum!

Rabies, parasitic worms, hepatitis, malaria, human excrement.....what a fun holiday!! Why do we keep going back?

I love Goa and am returning next year. It's a great place when the sun's shining, the food's great and the drink cheap but it's not a place I would like to be when things start going wrong. I'm sure most of us have had the odd day or two of Delhi Belly but I would hate to contract a serious illness over there. We went into Vrundivan Hospital last year and it's not a place I would like to spend time in.

So Dave's right, wash hands and take sensible precautions!

Incidentally a woman from Bury contracted Rabies in Goa about 5 years ago. Sadly, and inevitably (unless treatment is administered immediately) with that disease, she died.

Unless you are prepared for what you might encounter that's when a holiday turns in to a nightmare. Those of us who have been before already have an idea but complacency is the worst enemy we can have.
Too many tourists think they don't need to worry as it hasn't happened to them... yet ! Hence it's worth making sure that a holiday forum informs about the whole experience, warts and all. The recent rabies case didn't seek medical help until several weeks after she returned home. A costly mistake indeed. If there is one rabid dog out there there has to be quite a lot. Take heed ( especially you dog lovers who want to encourage strays by feeding them etc)
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
Judging by the amount of human excrement lying around

:yikes Really?......any thoughts I ever had of going have just gone right out the window now.

In a third world country it's what you have to expect and it's not just in India where the majority of the population don't have sanitation. If you are in a rural or non tourist area you probably aren't aware of the problem but in Goa you are.You regularly used to see the locals who lived there performing their morning ablutions by and in the river in places like Arpora but many of them have been forced to move out because of building developments so it's not as obvious there. Instead you now have a huge rise in domestic tourism but most of those tourists come to see and paddle in the sea. They can't afford the prices in bars and restaurants so they bring their own food, the consequence of which is two fold. More litter and as they don't have access to toilets in those bars and restaurants they find the nearest bush/piece of wasteland etc.

Personally, the excitement of visiting totally different cultures ( and I particularly love India) outweighs the negatives. I want to see more of the world as it is in their country not ours. There is more to tourism than sun, food and drink although they also play a major role in my decision making too !
I agree about new places. :) I still like comforts of my hotel though- even the more basic Goa ones.
We always carry a small bottle of antiseptic hand gel - as you say after all the 'shake your handies' you do with tuk tuk drivers etc you really DO need to wash your hand regularly.

I know you can have a rabies innoculation before you go to areas where it is rife, but it doesn't 'protect' you which a lot of people don't realise...it just 'buys you time' to seek help.
Some very sensible advice given here, take heed and enjoy an otherwise lovely place to visit, the people always make us feel very welcome and we are now looking forward to our 15th trip.
Dave I can't see why you think there should be a warning about rabies just on the Goa forum, rabies is in a lot of other countries including the USA, Africa and even as close as the Continent, only just a very short stretch of water away from the London hospital the lady died in

Eating under cooked meat is a risky past time anywhere in the the world also there are millions of people in the world that think eating part of a dead animal's flesh is a disgusting thing to do, perhaps that's why most of India is vegetarian

I have eaten with many Indian family's and they would not dream of eating without washing their hands first first and they certainly would not wipe their backside with the hand they eat with

Going on Holiday anywhere abroad, you need to consult with your local clinic or Doctor to find out what jabs and tablets you might need and of course you need to make sure you take all the normal precautions and maybe a few more for your own safety while you are away

The food in Goa has improved beyond recognition in the last twenty years and compares to anywhere I have ever been and as for the personal hygiene of the chef or his staff that is just as much a gamble in Goa as my local pub or takeaway
You are absolutely right Meagain, there are risks everywhere. I do find the dog packs in Goa more worrying than other places I have been to though and the more people I talk to the more I realise the casual approach to health care that lots of people take when going on holiday. They should think again ! cheers Dave
Sorry Meagain – I don’t agree.

In my town, next to my local pub or takeaway there is NOT a gigantic mountain of rubbish with huge rats running around it - like the dump at Calangute next to the beach shacks.
And if one ever spots a food hygiene issue in a local UK restaurant - it only takes one call to Environmental Health to get major action very quickly.
I’ve no idea who one would call in Goa, and I’m pretty sure that any complaint would be buried in Indian bureaucracy or sorted by bribes.

Nor are there packs of (possibly rabid) semi-wild dogs running loose around the streets each evening
in my town – as there are in Baga and most places in north Goa.
And actually, I cannot recall of any case of someone returning from France or the USA, and then dying of rabies. Though I can recall at least two cases involving Goa.

And nobody I know who ever got bitten by a mosquito in the UK, contracted malaria.
As has happened to some folk returning from Goa who didn’t take their anti-malarial tablets.

I reckon north Goa is not really a healthy place to visit these days – in fact I believe it’s only a matter of time before some serious health problem breaks out there and a lot of people get very sick.

I’ve visited Goa for nine years, and every year it seems dirtier.
But the comparison with 9 deaths in the USA has to be the 20,000 people estimated to die each year in India from rabies!
That IS sad.
And makes the dog population seem extremely dangerous.

http://www.thehindu.com/health/policy-and-issues/article2211136.ece
Been going to Goa now every year for the last 14 years and love the place. The only advise i give to people i know is always, always, clean your hands with the antiseptic gel before eating anything!!! The amount of people you shake hands with and places that you touch ( :think ) can cause all sorts.
Must admit, we are not poorly very often when there. Worse here in fact!!
i agree Goangirl thats the best piece of advice you can give anyone to prevent illness ...

also one other thing i recommend always carry your mozzie spray wherever you go as it has to go on at sunset to be effective in preventing bites, you never know when you will be out later than expected and not have it on you!! Malaria IS still a threat in Goa and falaria

Chilly
chilly wrote:
you never know when you will be out later than expected

And you Chilly, NEVER know!!! :rofl
Also don't forget to put it on before you travel to the aiport - the mozzies will be there too ;)
absolutely right Glynis :tup thats one that many forget.. can really spoil the beginning of a holiday
chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.