Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Essex Boy, welcome to the board.

By Western European standards, most things in Bulgaria are very cheap - the resorts are the exception (where prices can be significantly higher than in 'normal' Bulgarian towns/cities) but still cheaper than Western Europe.

Yes there are beggars, pickpockets, etc in Bulgaria, just as there are in most other countries including Portugal, Spain & the Canaries (e.g. Tenerife cited as number 9 in the top 10 cities for pickpocket activity). As long as you take the normal precautions, you should have no more problems in Bulgaria than in any other tourist area.

Reading through the last few pages of the 'sticky post' on this site, regarding currency, will tell you the best way to change money - as long as you avoid street 'money changers'/streetside 'exchange offices' and use only high street banks/exchange facilities in your hotel, there will be no problem - the problems occur when people ignore this advice.

Many posters on this board, including myself, have been holidaying in Bulgaria for many years and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. My two flights for this year have already been booked and I can't wait for March to arrive, so that I can enjoy my first visit of 2011, after which I'll be eagerly awaiting my June stay.

I'm sure that other regulars will answer your specific queries regarding Sunny Beach, as I tend to avoid the resorts.

Baldur
Hi,

We stayed in Sunny Beach 2 years ago, it was my first time and was unsure what to expect after reading about prostitutes, beggars, fake money etc - but that type of thing goes on all over the world, if you look for it you will find it. Just go and relax, enjoy your holiday and take normal precautions about your safety and exchanging money and all will be well.

The prices are great, we could get a large beer for 1 Lev when we were there and wine or Vodka & Coke was cheep aswell, we ate some great food, I remember a restraunt called Bansko we had Chicken Sache, garlic bread, Shopska salad and a couple of drinks each for about £14 all in, there was a bar close by aswell that had great live music, 2 guys with guitars doing all kinds of stuff including Kings of Leon, they also did Karaoke if thats your thing. The beaches are great although I thought the rental of sunloungers was a bit expensive in comparison to everything else.

Some places look a bit dingy and tatty but the resort is large enough to stay away from areas you don't like. We stayed in the area close to the Korona Hotel mostly and had a great time, I'm sure you will too.
Hi,

I thing you will like Sunny Beach very much.
Hi mate you get your self off to Sunny beach and have a great time .All this tosh about pickpockets and Gypos and beggars ignore it as its exagerated beyond belief . I went there 6 years ago loved it and bought an appt and dont go any where else .Sure there is gypsies but ignore them and they wont try and sell you rubbish. Pickpockets on buses maybe so watch your valuables are not on show and women of the night .You will only find them if you go looking for them. So get over there and enjoy the great food great wine and cheap beer great entertaiment [magicians ,live bands ,karaoke ,tribute singers etc etc ] You will also be sorry to leave the place so you will probably return again and again each year . Oh and by the way we are in our mid fifties also .
Hi Essex boy,
Go and enjoy yourself. We have been going to bulgaria for several years to the other resort of golden sands. But that is just our preference. SunnyBeach and goldensands are great in there own way. It will still be a cheap holiday for you with plenty to do and very friendly local people. Think of eating and drinking in england and half that price thats what you pay in bulgaria in the resorts. It will be even cheaper if you get yourself out into the villages. we are both in our fifties and enjoy both the party feeling and also the quite times you can get by travelling out to see the real bulgaria.

cornish lad (Roger) :cheers
Hey, im 18 so my view of sunny beach may be a little different to yours..

First of all youve picked a lovely hotel! i dont think you will be dissapointed on arrival. The main disadvantage id give is the food!.. it is VERY basic and hotels generally serve the same dishes everyday. I went last year half board so i didnt eat out in any of the resturaunts which to be honest looked really nice.

There are lots of resturaunts bars on the beach front which are reasonbly priced, they always have deals on drinks like 2 cocktails for 8lev which is roughly £4 once you get into the centre 'flower street' i think prices do increase but not dramatically, flower street is the most liveliest area this is were all the clubs are so you will find more 18-30 aged people in this area. There are still lots of shops and less roudy bars though so dont be put off flower street.

mmmmm, pick pockers & prostitutes are usually present at nightime from what ive heard. I went in septemebr and i dont remember seeing any, i did notice there were a few dodgy looking people but i never had anything stolen. I didnt see any beggers either. Make sure you avoid the 'fruit people' they stand on the street with bunches of fruit in there hand and try to put them in you hand and DEMAND you pay for them, so just make sure you walk straight past those guys.

Around the resort you will see alot of flashy cars, apparantly these are owned by members of the mafia who run the sex shops that are scattered around the resort.

All in all i think sunny beach is a great holiday destination, beautiful beach, great bars and CHEAP which is what we want!
I hope ive not put you off! the things i mentioned will not spoil your holiday, just things i notcied whilst there.
hi essex boy like many before have said go and enjoy youself there is nothing to worry about we are going in august for our 7th visit and love it when we first went in 01 we spotted many ladies of the night and people on the street wanting to change you money but not any more i have not seen any for a few years and even if they are around just ignore them we have watched the resort grow since we first went . there was not a lot of hotels around then but we have loved it since day one if you want to know anything please feel free to pm me and i will do my best to answer your query xx :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.