Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
not heard of them myself but, the rules still apply no matter who you hire from, CHECK the vehicle thoroughly for road worthiness, tax [blue year sticker in window] and damage, make sure any damage is recorded on both yours and theirs copy of the agreement just in-case a claim is made by them, just remember your on the wrong side of the road and traffic will have priority from the left. oh and be careful at traffic light junctions, some natives will turn across the flow priority or not

yasus
wizard
Can't help you with Argus - I've seen their cars about and they look good but I've never personally hired from them.

Having driven in a lot of Med countries I can say that Rhodes is probably one of the better ones but their are a few additional things to add to Wizard's comments.

Firstly, Rhodes does not have a "car culture". The only clean cars are the hire cars. Which means that, compared to the locals yours will look immaculate.

Secondly be prepared for lots of gear changing coz most of the hire cars I've had over there are underpowered - although Rhodes isn't as mountainous as some islands it does have its moments.

Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, always be on the lookout for mopeds and scooters. They will regularly cut across traffic, appear round bends at night without lights on, carry the whole family (it is interesting to see dad driving, mum sitting sidesaddle behind him with a child on the seat between the two of them......... and 2 children on the footplate between dads legs!!!! Yes I have seen this!) and generally have no regard for anyone else. Again you can tell the tourists (the tourists are the ones on the clean bikes wearing skid lids!)

Don't let me put you off - I love Rhodes (I'm off there next month for the fourth time in 4 years) and yes I shall be hiring a car.

Dave
if you happen to drive through the faliraki-afandou area on the main rhodes to lindos road please be careful,the part that starts as you go past the main turning into afandou village all the way through to the big AB superstore in asgorou is the most dangerous stretch of road on the island and one of the worst ive ever seen,especially the junction at the top of faliraki bar street,the main problem being the fact that the tarmac is like glass,hit the brakes and even modern ABS can't save you!

that aside driving around rhodes is a doddle,be sure to take the main road down the west side,from kamiros and up over the mountains towards appolakia,this to me is the most scenic drive on the island and the views out towards halki and the 'fish farm islands' is amazing,be sure to stop and see the gorges along the way too and if you pass through siana then stop and buy a bottle of souma!
***** 2post removed*****

this is not the sort of shenanigans that I will put up with, PLEASE keep within the spirit of HT or else

yasus
wizard
fair shout wizard but i will say this,that poster repeatedly does this yet refuses or is unable to ever state his reasons why,many of his posts are in a similar vane so don't be too surprised when he ends up getting pulled up,i believe i'm not the only poster who has had this problem with the poster concerned,and i can certainly testify to the fact he was the same if not worse on our rhodes forum,to the point that he was told not to post and had his account deleted,not that you'll see any of that as relevant no doubt. as for 'or else',well that's a bit of a shenanegan in itself isn't it so i tell you what mate,i'll no longer bother posting on the rhodes section and if anyone wants to know anything from a long term residents point of view they can ask the other fella,can't be bothered with the threat of getting deleted by a mod when i use the rest of the forum for other things.

cheers.
Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm looking to book with Argus as well for our hire car, if the OP is still about please can you let me know how it went, what was the car like etc etc.

Or anyone else that may have used Argus recently, are the cars decent and the company reliable?

Cheers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.