Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Re: Spinalonga
69 Posts
Duplicated post below.
  • Edited by hooly 2010-09-14 19:46:27
shirley

Yes, the series is the dramatisation of the book. There are a few short trailers on the MEGA TV site under the "video" page option. Look for "ΣΕΡΙΕΣ" (series) in the "Πρόγραμμα 2009/10" (programmes) section & you will see "Το Νησι" or To Nisi i.e. The Island.

I'll try to find out from my neighbours if they've been told about a DVD yet, however I wouldn't think they'd release it until the 1st run finishes i.e. 26 weeks from mid October. As to the likelihood of subtitles "δÏ!στÏ!χώς, δεν ξέρω" unfortunately I don't know, but I'm out there next week so will ask around.

Not sure if this will work http://www.megatv.com/tonisi/. That ok mods? I never know what links are allowed.

Also have a search on the web for SPINALOGKA & you might find some interesting sites which might show you some Greek information about the programme. Pictures are great!

Llindy

The best way to that piece is through Victoria Hislop's own site & again just type that into a search engine & it should pop up at the top. The Times article is linked in through that.

I would also encourage you to follow the suggestions to shirley & I reckon you'll see the sites I'm referring to. ENA NISI, MIA PALIA ARROSTIA which I think translates as something like "an island, an illness from the old days".

Enjoy
Pete
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't speak Greek so I'm not sure I'll understand any of the info given. I was quite excited thinking I could watch an English language programme on 'The Island'. Thanks anyway.
Sorry for the delay in replying but I only got back yesterday after 3 weeks in Crete.

1. If you look on one of the the search engines & type in something like "mega tv to nisi english subtitles" you might be able to see a short Mega trailer with some translation.
2. There are many rumours around in the Elounda area that the series is being sold to a number of foreign channels including Channel 4, however I have no confirmation about this. It has apparently already been sold to Italian TV. But an English subtitled version would make some sense as it would open up the US & Australian markets where there are huge populations of Greek descent but not all necessarily Greek speaking.

Anyway it starts on Mega TV at 21.50 (Greek time) tomorrow (11/10/10), though they are still filming some later episodes at the various sets in the area.

Pete
Unfortunately I am unable to post the link, but if you google viki.com and then the island you can watch the whole series with english sub titles...excellent TV series
nearly ...its saying to be able to watch i need a viki plug in , will this be safe ?
I watched the whole series and didnt have a problem...........not sure what that means.....its very frustrating that this forum wont let you post links...
but after you go to viki.com then its backslash that then the following.....

channels/1964-the-island/videos

my computer doesnt come up with the plug in message...
I've just found this thread, so forgive my late addition!

I recently watched Joanna Lumleys "Greek Oddyssey" and she was given a guided tour of the island. I found it very interesting and will probably return to Spinalonga and understand a bit more next time.

This is just to let you all know to keep an eye out for a re-run of the prog.

:tup :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.