Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Re: Spinalonga
69 Posts
it was actually not just about the island but the whole programme on Crete brought back some great memories :)
Francesco's Mediterranean has been great for Greece lovers and covered quite a few Greek islands and parts of the mainland. The BBC4 show is bound to be repeated, there is also a book and the DVD is out for sale soon - I'll be dropping a few hints for my birthday present. :tup
we went to the island of spinalonga back in 2002 and it was very intresting but very hot on there and that was may time even my son ejoyed it
One of the reasons i booked a holiday to Crete is so that i can visit Spinalonga , after reading the book i knew i had to go . As an earlier poster said right up until recently locals were still apprehensive about going over to the Island , which for me adds to the history . i still have to wait until next year to get there but at least i am booked . Staying in Hersonissos so hopefully will be able to book either an organised trip or we will do it DIY any advice or help please share with me .
You can do organised trips, but there is a regular bus which is very cheap to Ag Nik.

A short walk to the harbour and there are regular trips to the island.
Just returned yesterday from Elounda. You can bus to Plaka from there. We went on the boat 8E each return, and paid 2E each to get onto Spinalonga
thank you both for your replies , wish i was going tomorrow , but the wait will be worth it
The whole island is worth the wait!!
Hi Llindy. We stayed in Hersonissos in May this year and did a day trip to Spinalonga. Like you I couldn,t wait to go and I wasn,t disappointed. It really brings to life what I,ve read and parts of it are even as I imagined them to be. One word of warning. Although we went in may it was VERY hot on the island so make sure you take plenty of water! Where are you staying?
Hi Deb's , so glad you weren't disappointed with The Island , and thanks for the tip about the heat
we are staying at the Bellos Apartments in Hersonossis, will be our first trip to Crete , think i will re read the book beofre i go
Off to Ag Nik tomorrow - having read The Island when the book first came out I can't wait to visit it!
Just finished reading the book and decided we must go to Spinalonga when we go to Stalis the end of september this year, just under 6 week and we will be there can't wait. :tup
If you enjoyed "The Island" there are a series of books written by Beryl Darby based on a family from Plaka, the first of which is about "Yannis" who ends up on Spinalonga.

The author wrote a guide book many years ago about the island & had always wanted to turn the stories she got into a novel. Personally I enjoyed "Yannis", which I read in 3 evenings, more than "The Island" & I've also read the 2nd in her series called "Anna" much of which is based in Plaka mainly during WW2.

Hope that's of interest.
Pete
thank you for the information , have made a note and am now going to start loking for the books , sounds like my kind of reading
My pleasure.

The books aren't available that widely as the author self published, but she does have a website though as I'm not sure about this site's rules about posting links I won't put it on here. However a ISP search should bring it up fairly easily & if not the usual internet bookshops e.g. the one named after a South American river ;) usually have a link to buy them.
Yannis is the 1st one & most relevant to Spinalonga, Anna the 2nd which is based in Plaka & around the ongoing story & Giovanni is the 3rd in the series which I've got but am yet to read.

If you do get a copy I'd be interested in your views.
Pete
  • Edited by hooly 2009-08-24 10:16:18
Pete , i tried looking at my local library but they had nothing , so i went to Amazon and found copies there .
Thnaks for that info Pete. I am now in search of these books
thanks for that Pete will do some searching for the books as I really enjoyed the island.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.