Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
It's only a few days since a French tourist was shot dead in Sharm el Sheikh town centre.
No really clear explanation from the authorities came out.
And now this - kidnapping from a tour bus!
It does look like Egypt and Sharm might be heading back into the tourism doldrums again they experienced last year, unless the authorities can quickly get their country sorted out.

Personally, I'm booked there for March, I wish I were not.
Thanks for the link David.

The area seems pretty volatile at the moment. There were 25 Chinese workers kidnapped as well at some point by bedouins, but they let them go after a few hours, no idea what that was all about. :que Reports said it was to gain release for those put in prison for the Taba Hilton Hotel bombing in 2004, seems very odd after all this time. Can't see the Egyptian government agreeing to that as 30 or so people died in those bombings.

This is the last thing Egypt needs as it is so dependant on tourism for money/jobs. :(
Three Koreans kidnapped by Bedouins according to Reuters. They were taken from the same area as before.

"The gunmen intercepted a tour bus traveling near the Saint Catherine monastery in central Sinai towards Sharm el-Sheikh. Twenty-seven other tourists were on the bus but were not taken. The youngest of the hostages was 51."

Also a few days ago there was a bomb threat in the Marriott hotel so now a few hotels have police guards.

"Security in the isolated desert region has deteriorated since the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising last February, the anniversary of which will be marked on Saturday (today)"

Not the best place to be at the moment :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.