Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
When we had the glorious summer this year (all 2 weeks of it) and we ate outside on the patio, he made mojitos with the Spanish mint.

And I've enjoyed a good few mojitos using the mint from the cuttings you sent me - thank you ;)

Re the tomato problem, a handy tip for ripening them off a quicker is to pick them and put them in a brown paper bag with an apple, roll the top of the bag over and clip it with a peg, then put it somewhere warm eg a sunny windowsill. Apparently, apples give off Ethylene gas which helps ripen them off. I started doing this with those last few tomatoes that never seem to ripen at the end of the season but find that it also works well with ripening some of the early ones off quicker at the beginning of the season too. It helps spread reduce the glut a bit when they sare in danger of all ripening at the same time. They tend not to taste quite as sweet when you do this so I wouldn't do it with the whole crop but it's a great way of spreading the crop out for a longer period at the beginning and end of the season or if you want to 'force' them for some reason.

I've also found that it works well with turning green peppers (often cheaper in my local supermarket) into red ones that taste much sweeter so it might work on your chilli peppers too.

Also, as a result of being given this tip, I now keep the apples well away from the bananas and the bananas seem to keep much longer before getting too ripe for my taste.

SM
I was under the impression that bananas will ripen other fruit in the bowl which is why I now keep them on a banana stand.

Sanji, I love mint over a roast dinner but haven't tried the Spanish one. I also enjoy it chopped over a salad but I don't like mojitos- Well I didn't like the one I tried in Mexico and haven't fancied trying another.
I was under the impression that bananas will ripen other fruit in the bowl which is why I now keep them on a banana stand.

That could well be the case, Shirley, because I don't think apples are the only fruit to give Ethylene off but in my experience keeping the apples separate does seem to make a difference to my bananas. I've wondered whether this is why more and more bananas are sold pre-packed in sealed cellophane bags rather than loose as they always used to be?

SM
We have a greenhouse and in the past I've attempted to grow all sorts of things like cucumbers, aubergines, toms, bedding plants, and I've put the green tomatoes into a drawer with a banana, and it does help to ripen the toms, but I agree with SMa that they don't taste the same, they're ok in cooking but (IMO) not to use as a fresh tomato in something like a salad, and if I was like my late mother, she'd make chutney out of them and we'd still be eating it at Christmas.
Now we have 3 plants of the outdoor variety of toms under the back window, just enough to keep us going because we couldn't give them away when we had more plants in the greenhouse, and outdoor plants seem to cope better and don't need so much TLC"¦..The chilli peppers have done well outside this year and better than they ever did under glass.

I don't bother growing bedding plants anymore, except for a few marigolds from the seeds I collect of one particular very striking burnt orange/amber variety, because by the time you've bought the seeds, the potting compost, and spending time pricking them out and potting them on/hardening them, you can go to somewhere like B&Q and buy them cheaper.

When we went to Spain last September, I did take a container full of toms which kept us going for a few days. Tomatoes are cheap enough in Spain, it just felt ‘wrong' to throw them in the dustbin after all the care they'd had.
Off to Torremolinos in the morning, I've got loads to do and haven't even got the cases down to start the dreaded packing, you'd think after going away for over 30 years that I could do it with my eyes closed, but it always turns out to be an ordeal, so I postpone it until the last minute, otherwise we spend hours putting clothes in and taking them out.

Can't decide whether or not to go to Malaga City, I've been looking for summat for Dave's 70th birthday next year and I did think about going to Hong Kong to see the lad, but the lad said if we wait he is hoping to get a 2 bedroomed apartment later next year and we could stay with him, which will save an awful lot of money on accomodation costs, so that blew that idea out.

Then I thought about the USA and maybe a visit to NY, and now I'm going around in circles trying to find somwhere nice and within my budget, although I don't really have a budget. Turkey and the Canary Islands are out and he won't go to somewhere like Egypt/Tunisia. He fancied Malta but I'm not sure if it will be too quiet in April and we haven't been to Greece for a long time, but I think it's the time of year for the weather and the resort being open which is reducing the options, and we might end up in Malaga for a week in a 4/5* hotel for his birthday, so I might have to leave Malaga as an open option, along with Barcelona and Madrid.
I suppopse I could always arrange a party with corned beef sarnies in the local Working Men's Club....problem solved :rofl one minute I don't think he is really bothered about going any where, but then the next minute he says he just doesn't want to let the milestone pass as another boring day...no pleasing some folks who can't make their mind up, so if I book it and pay for it, he'll have to either like it or lump it.

It's going to be an expensive year next year, the passports want renewing and we might just get away one more year before the insurance gets bumped up for someone aged 70 on medication.

Think I'd better get the cases down and get started on the packing...booooooooo

Sanji
Hi Sanji,
I read the 'who's getting excited?' thread last night and noticed that your time had come. I was going to pm you to wish you a good holiday but this seems as good a thread as any to do it. Have a great time- I'm sure you will as you always do :tup If I was you I'd already be packed and pacing the floor waiting, no matter that I'd been going for 30 years :D Did I read somewhere that it'll be time for the Romario when you're there? I loved the video you did last year.

As for Dave's birthday, I'm sure he'll be pleased if it's all decided and booked. I tend to agree that you can't leave his 70th pass without some sort of celebration. A week or so in a lovely hotel sounds just the job.

OK, time you got packing! You don't want to be running around like a fly with a blue bottom :rofl Have a great time and come back with lots of reports on la Carihuela for me please :wave:
Packing now done, cases weighed, just need to get in the shower and try and have an early(ish) night, for me that means before midnight, but I bet I don't sleep, got to be up at 6 am, taxi arranged for 7 am, down to east midlands airport, fly at 10-25 am.

The Romeria de San Miguel is on Sunday the 25th September and the fair from 28th September to 1st October....battery charged on camcorder. :tup
Just given the apartment owner a ring and he says "it's hot". :sun2 oh, and we're taking a container full of tomatoes. :rofl
Sanji x
Sorry I've missed you Sanji, but it's been hectic at home as you know. Wishing you and Dave a great time :sun2 :cheers

Glynis x
Thanks Glynis. :kiss
Coming home tomorrow, why has the last two weeks gone by so quickly.? :(
Had a fab holiday, the weather made it, together with the Romeria and feria.
We must be as fit as a fiddle with all the walking we´ve done.

Done a bit of videoing, so I´ll have summat to keep me busy next week.

Sanji x
that has gone so fast Sanji. I'm looking forward to seeing your videos :) and hearing all the latest news from the area. Safe journey home :tup
Welcome home Sanji. Just been looking at some of your photos and videos- always enjoy them! Thanks for taking so much time to sort them out and put them on the site for us. I hope the time didn't go too quickly for you. How busy was it there this time? I'm already counting down until next April and hope we get a couple of scorching days like you did.
Welcome back Sanji :tup Also looking forward to seeing the photos and videos and glad to hear you both had a great time with lovely weather :tup
The time for my visit is getting closer. A fortnight tomorrow and I'll be on the plane for Costa Del Sol :) I've been keeping my eye on the webcams and it's looking lovely there and has been for some time. I just hope it's going to last. Hubby thinks the weather will change once we set foot off the plane :really

I need to decide what to pack soon and hunt out the plug adaptor and all those other little things that I'll need. Getting excited now :D :sun2
I will be touching down on Spanish soil around lunchtime on Monday :) I'm going to get the packing done after work today and this evening I'm going to trawl the useful information I've been given on here and make a few notes to take with me. I'll also be looking at Sanji's video instructions of how to get the bus to Mijas from Fuengirola railway station.

I've looked at a few weather sites and surprise, surprise they're all different but generally, I'm expecting it dry and around 19 degrees for most of the week but with a chance of showers on a couple of days. I can cope with that as it was almost a complete week of rain when we were there last Easter.

Thanks Sanji and everybody else who's armed me with very useful information :tup I'll be reporting back on the 9th April.
Have a great time Shirley - I'm sure you will :sun2
Shirley, I hope you strike lucky with the hunt for the wedding outfit :tup

SM
Thanks for the send off peeps. SMa, I was lucky enough to get my outfit locally on Saturday so I won't be doing too much shopping in Malaga. The outfit's being altered and I was hoping to get some of the material in time to take away with me so I could keep an eye out for accessories. I haven't had a hatinator, shoes or bag yet but it doesn't look as though I'll get the material in time :(

Thanks for the advice anyway :tup
Have a nice time and try to visit Mijas :sun2
Hope the weather is better this year for you.

Sanji
Thanks Sanji. Mijas is on my list of 'To dos' so hopefully time won't run away with us and we'll get there :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.