Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Oh my word Graham .. that wont be good for business :(
Any idea as to why Graham ? I would imgaine those that fancied a TGI type meal one evening would have liked to wash it down with a larger style drink this is unlikley to help business. :(
Looks like they're going to have to re invent themselves then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.G.I._Friday's - If you scroll down to the MENU part you'll read that they have a large menu with an emphasis on alcoholic beverages. With Egypt desperate for tourists, especially outside the AI's, I very much doubt that this is the way forward.
Sorry I have no idea why this has happened, I had heard a rumor so asked my friend to check with his daughter who works as a rep and stays out there and she confirmed that it is true.

She said they were keeping an eye on Hard Rock to see what would happen there, I don't know if this also means there is a possibility that they will also stop selling alcohol :que

I do wonder if it has anything to do with the Islamist parties who are calling for amongst other things a ban on drinking alcohol, if so this could have massive implications for anybody that likes a small refreshment while on holiday in Egypt and the whole Egyptian tourist trade.
I wondered if it was in connection with the Shari Law that has been mentioned. But it seems odd that it is just one chain and an Amercian one at that. It seems more like the chain itself has decided to introduce this :que very odd. I know there are a few traditional restaurants in Old Sharm that don't sell alcohol, but you can take your own if you wish.

At least the Hilton Sharks Bay will continue to be able to use up their AI beer supplies as my DH was convinced there wasn't one drop of alcohol in it. :rofl

Maybe the Hard Rock will go the same way ?

Doe :sun2
I just hope the AI's won't get rid of the alcohol. I'm embarking on my first holiday to Egypt next April and whilst I'm not a big drinker, I do like to indulge in a few whilst on holiday.

Hopefully, it's just something TGi have introduced otherwise it will have a great impact on the tourism trade there.
went into TGI with my wife when we there in april for a meal and was told
by the waiter that we no longer sell beer, stood up and left the building straight away ,
i bet im not the only person to do this, not a very good decision by them......
I'm afraid I'd do the same Andy, and as you say I don't think I'd be in a minority. Entertainment in Egypt is minimal, & is mostly based around your evening meal. If you can't have a drink with it, then I'm afraid it's going to be a major downfall. It's certainly not what the country needs to get back on it's feet :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.