Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Val

There are two of the pools heated at that time and very pleasent they are :tup
Thank you for the info. I will pass it on to him. That is one of his most important factors before he makes his final decision apparantly.
Cheers Michelle, I think that will sway it for him..he was alternating between SBR and another place...I said I had been before and would ask about the pools....see, a hive of information on here!!!
Cactus pool best one as it is deeper, the one behind hotel rooms is to warm and very small. I would ask to be located by the cactus pool, would have a pool view then and they are the big family rooms. We jumped in the normal pool, it was cold but a bit of thrashing around warmed us up lol.
hi anyone going to sonesta beach resort feb 24th
Hi could anyone tell me if this hotel has many bars, just the book says it only has a beech bar and a pool bar. surely there has to be more than that, thankyou allie. x
Assuming you mean the sonesta beach hotel allie.

Ok from memory there is a bar on the beach, (not evening) one by the main pool close to reception, One at the blue wave pool which is also used by the Italian Animation team . . Some of the other pools may have a bar opening during the day but I'm fairly certain those are the only 2 open of an evening .

Oh theres a small one in reception I think . They is also a shisha bar upstairs but you pay for that .

The one at the Blue wave pool I thought was horrible . It had these shocking yellow fluoresent lights and wasnt pleasant to spend an evening at . The animation team put on shows at the stage area adjacent but you couldnt see it if you were sat in the bar area. If you wanted to watch the show that was your typical animation team stuff there were a few rows of white plastic seats for the spectators.

The hotel wasnt very busy of an evening whilst we were there . I think many stroll down in Naama Bay.
:rofl At the horrible orange lights Lyn, yes they are still there.

The swimming pool bars mostly shut at dusk, but after you have had dinner, there are 3 bars open.

As Lyn says the blue wave pool, although i didnt like it, it has been expanded but orange lights still remain, very popular at night.

The main reception bar where you will have to pay, but that said it is in a proper glass, not plastic.

Also the Oasis pool have a drink outlet till midnight, you can sit in the little alcoves that are nice. This is by the main Citadel restaurant where you check in.

You can go and smoke shisha pipes and see everyone from the Ali babas cafe which sells beer and spirits. We ventured up most nights.

Near the beach take a left before going out on the promenade and the Oonas dive hotel has a very reasonable selection and beer is cheap, you can go on the roof top bar and see the sunset and rise, it stays open virtually till 5am in the summer. Views are lovely.

Just 10 mins down the promenade we also go in the Hilton for a shisha and drinks, very nice cocktails and the pirates bar good for footy etc.
Hi Everyone,

I went to the Sonesta Beach in May and I have to say I am in Love with this place. I have never experienced holiday blues like it...the hotel is fabulous, the staff were incredible and I found it humbling how hard and long they work all the while always having a smile! The beach was fantastic, and it has to be said that the Cactus Pool is where I would like to spend the rest of my days (come on lottery ticket lol!)
We were in a family room in the 3000 block and it was absolutely huuuuge! Loved it!

Anyway, I see that there are some real Sonesta experts on here - so I wonder if you could please help me in finding out the cheapest way to get back out there - preferrably in October - is there a company that any of you use? We booked with TC but I was seriously unimpressed with both Monarch and the Rep in resort.

Anyway, please someone help me get back out there...lol...Thanks xx :wave:
Hey you cannot steel my crown :D I have been 9 times from 2005 ;)

Seriously though, really pleased you enjoyed it, hope you met my egyptian family at the Oonas club, we shall see them again in November as its around 90 then and we can stand the heat.

As for prices we found it hard to get the price down low, it was much more expensive to pay via the hotel and to get a flight that's for sure. We travel with thomson/first choice and found prices to be reasonable.

That said look on teletext or hotwire perhaps.

Hope you enjoy it the second time around:)

Sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Hi,

I'm thinking about going to the Sonesta Club, has anyone been there recently? We went to Egypt last summer and loved it, but to stay at the same hotel is almost £1000 more expensive than the Sonesta so I'm more inclined to try something new!

I have a some questions and would really appreciate answers because my hubby is a bit of a worrier! I've heard mixed reviews about the food, what typically would be on offer at dinner time? Is there much to do for young children (8,5,3)? I understand that you can use the Sonesta Beach's beach, but I've read that if you are staying at Sonesta Club you are made to feel like second class citizens there - is this true? Also, how many bars/restaurants are there? From what I have read it looks like there is only one restaurant, so do you have to queue at mealtimes? Finally, can you use the facilities at the Sonesta Beach?

Thanks in advance, I hope I get rave reviews about the place so that I can book :)
So many hotels to choose from, Sonesta Beach Resort in Naama Bay ticks most of our wishes but no recent reviews on here, anyone been recently ?? thanks Jo
Hi kerryarron,
I was at Sonesta Club in Oct 2008, so not very recently, but my views here, for what they are worth.....
Yes, you are allowed use the Sonesta Beach private beach and thus do a little snorkelling off their little pier, the coloured fish are amazing!
And you can get a drink whilst there on your Sonesta Club band, but you are made to feel a bit of a second class citizen, there’s one crummy little bar only available to you, with drinks in tiny plastic cups.
As far as I am aware no other Sonesta Beach facilities are available to Sonesta Club guests.
(Though I might be wrong and it might have changed.)

The Sonesta Club is a huge hotel with many bars and pools and its own mini waterpark with a number of slides, so it is pretty good for kids. Rooms are large and clean.
The shower in the room I had was powerful enough to beat you to the ground if you turned it on full! Some rooms have a pretty high step into the shower – I do mean HIGH – and this proved a problem for some disabled folk in the hotel.

The huge main indoor restaurant at the Sonesta Club isn’t the most wonderful environment to eat in. Noisy, crowded, plain, a bit like eating in a railway station. The food is typical for a large hotel in Sharm, there’s always something reasonable, though it couldn’t be called gourmet!

There is a nice outdoor eating area, just outside the main restaurant but the number of tables is a bit limited so you need to get there early.
And if you aren’t a party of four, then DO expect that a bunch of ill-mannered French folk you have never met may just sit down and join you, if they cannot find a table of their own.

There’s also a nice outdoor grill area over on the other side of the hotel, next to the pool.
I much preferred that to the main restaurant.

Overall, having stayed at several hotels in Sharm, I reckon the Sonesta Club is pretty reasonable for the price, one can have a good holiday there, though be prepared for the fact that it’s quite a walk out of Naama Bay, takes about 40 minutes.
Hi

I have been to the sonesta beach resort 10 times in total, every year sometimes twice since 2005. I strayed to the ghazala gardens last year and wish i hadn't.

SBR is one huge complex, from the cactus pool where mostly Brits hang out is 10 mins walk if abled bodied to reception. There are 6-7 pools, none with slides but easy access. Two are heated in the winter. There are 3 restaurants that are on the all inclusive, one you have to book 24 hrs before. The other restaurants you have to pay.

Rooms, well the main ones are spacious, you can upgrade to the executive rooms which we got complimentary, basically for going so many times. Rooms are not modern, very Egyptian in craft. Do not expect their rating to be the same as the UK. Still they are clean, and i always found ALL staff to be pleasant.

In Egypt you will find that although safe's are included the mini fridge bar isnt.

There is a GP on call 24/7 which if you have to visit him, take out the excess waiver on your insurance. That way visiting him you will get all your money back. Pharmacy s are expensive in Sharm. I know several people who buy me what i want.

I didnt like the Sonesta club, i personally found it very small and the rooms are small also (I went over and had a goosey gander). The shop keepers hassle you to bits there as well. If discos are your thing, then they have one here at the sonesta club.

Back to SBR there is your own free bar on the beach, the beach is small, but great fish. If you get fed up with the food, next door is the OOnas dive club and bar, you can go on the roof free, have a shisha and drink and watch the sun set and sunrise. This is also my second home, i know all the staff. You can eat lots of different food and English if you want.

By this time you will be on the promenade, 20 mins walk and you are in Naama bay, passing lots of shops and food outlets. Walking the road way will take longer.

Across the road to sbr is 24/7 shop it is excellent for "off" mossie spray and clothes, trinkets etc, plus a bank, body shop etc.

I went back to this hotel as a guest last year to see some of our friends, but alas the prices have gone up by a lot. It cost us £1500 for two of us 2 years ago, now its £2000.

If you want a smaller complex, good food, easy access to a better beach, and a fairly new hotel, try the ORIENTAL RIVOLI hotel, For 9 days it is costing us £1000 with alpha rooms/cooperative and several other firms. This includes everything. This hotel is straight across from the sonesta beach and right next door to Mc D and 24/7 shop.

If you would like any more advice on sbr let me know, i was called the sonesta queen for a long time, still like the hotel, and my friends, but alas the prices are too expensive for us this year.

:D Michelle x
Hi Michelle, thanks for good info , do you know how much they charge for the al a carte restaurants at Sonesta Beach? is it a set menu ?
think we will still book for feb as has everything we want from a hotel, well except water slides for my daughter but the Cleo park looks quite close...
Jo
The restaurant that you sit down to either outside or inside is waiter service, all their brand drinks are free, but they do come around with a trolley with the premium stuff, and irish coffee which is chargeable. This restaurant used to be called the red roof in, then changed to the casablanca (maybe something else now), sometimes they have a singer if its warm enough. It is a set menu but several choices. Inside you help yourself to salads/deserts etc. The bar is inside and public toilet. All drinks are served in glasses. This is quite a romantic area, at lunch you can eat here with out reservations. Remember this restaurant is free with all inclusive, we ate here several times, quieter and its nice to be waited on. This restaurant is situated near the beach, 2 mins from reception, its shaped like a square.

Another restaurant is the Indian that is still a reservation needed, never went in it, basically because i never saw anyone in it, although there was also a pizza/italian restaurant, that seemed to have people in, what is good is the prices are visible, so you can decide before you venture in. Bare in mind, the restaurants are always changing, so my thoughts are a guide.

If you want to venture out for the evening i recommend the Pomodero restaurant, you will not miss it as always packed out side, its near and part of the camel bar. Fab food and a very good menu for adults and kids a like. Very reasonable prices.

The cleo park is just up the road, you can hail a cab as they are everywhere, do barter and make sure its a correct cab, there are alot that are bogus. You can walk. its nice, wouldnt go in summer as not much shade.

In the day at the Italian pool we dub it has all the games of the day, for kids, adults a like, the cactus pool mainly for english, we normally went around the pool near reception so we were first in for food lol. No need for beach/pool towels, all included as is your water.

Entertainment isnt brilliant at night, much the norm of Egypt, usual belly dancers and singers/dancers.

HTH anything else let me know

Michelle
Thanks Michelle, will wait for a deal to appear ( well hopefully) Jo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.