Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
do like to relax on the beach - is the beach nice or is it a pebble beach?

I wasnt keen on the beach at the sonesta .It's a large complex and it was a bit of a trek from the rooms on the higher end around blue Wave or cactus pool. It's not huge (but then many arn't in sharm) ,kind of course sand . It felt very hemmed in to me down there and I didnt really feel a great connection with the red Sea here . The sea quality/sea life was not as good as further along the coast either because NB is full of dive boats & it's assiciated fuel ( Not that I'm saying it's full of oil etc ) .Having said that it's a trade off between being within walking distance of naama bay V the importance of the beach / red sea to you.

Also - do they have irons in the room at all?

I also cant cope without a morning coffee - do they have coffee making facilities in the room or will I have to have a trek to get one in the mornings?

Not in our rooms but maybe Michelle would know if either are in any other rooms . i just used to nip over to the bar for coffee so not really a problem .
Thanks for the info.

Im trying not going to get to hung up about the beach, although one of my tick boxes for a holiday is a beach - Im prepared to compromise as my son prefers the pool and my hubby prefers to walk up and down seeing things - so if there is a beach there no matter how small at least I can sit on it!!

Im so used to holidays in the caribbean where the resort is nearly always on the beach and the beaches are beautiful - but its a big world out there and I'd like to experience somewhere else for a change. Plus, its a bit cheaper!!!! (correction...alot cheaper!).

Ive asked alot of friends about recommendations for mid september other than Jamaica or Dominican Republic and quite a few of them suggested Eygpt....so Eygpt, here i come! :)
Holiday now booked, Sonesta Beach......here I come

Well done I am sure you will have a great time, if you don't remember it was Michelle that talked you in to it :rofl
Only kidding, I know you will love it as it is great hotel :tup

Graham
Thanks Graham for that remark :tongue

The beach isnt as big as some in Egypt, some go for miles and its more private if you don't want anyone sat next to you. But i for one don't like beaches like that as its too isolated. My egyptian friends always find me my same spot so i never get problems finding a space. It is a sandy beach not in the same league as the Caribbean, but you need beach shoes to walk on it for if you dont, either the sun will strip your skin or the coral will :(
There are some lovely swimming pools 6-7, never been in them all yet and been there (9 times this Nov) ........ Water sports are on offer and there is a beach bar for soft, alcoholic and tea coffee etc and water. Ask for bottled water not the stuff in a barrel, tastes better.

Anything you need to know i am here, there isnt much i dont know about the sonesta beach and club. Maybe i am due for a change but not yet :cheers

Michelle

sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Maybe i am due for a change but not yet

No Michelle .You know what you like . We are too old for change :rofl
Good for you in getting booked mrselliot.now relax and enjoy the wait. :)
I do have a couple of questions actually.

Im thinking of buying my son one of those inflatable rings or water beds for him to have some fun in one of the pools - he is fine in waist deep water. I can buy one here quite cheaply - about £3 or £4. Does the resort have thier own pool toys for kids? or, do they have a pump which can blow up the one I bring along - I cant see myself blowing it up without having a coronary! :tongue

Also, Its obvious that I am taking my son out of school for a week for this holiday (i know, im very naughty, but I have the schools blessing), for anyone who has been there in mid September - is their usually children around

Also, plugs - what are the plugs like - Im guessing I will have to get an adapter - my U.S.A one obviously wont fit. This is to charge my sons Nintendo and my Ipod.

Sorry if these all sound like silly questions, buts its best to know before ya go!

Many thanks
Hi again ..

do have a couple of questions actually.

Im thinking of buying my son one of those inflatable rings or water beds for him to have some fun in one of the pools - he is fine in waist deep water. I can buy one here quite cheaply - about £3 or £4. Does the resort have thier own pool toys for kids? or, do they have a pump which can blow up the one I bring along - I cant see myself blowing it up without having a coronary!

There are a few shops on the complex that sell inflatables at a reasonable price, about a fiver i think going on from last time, they will blow them up free of charge. There is also a little shop next to the Oonas dive bar and restaurant (go on the roof you will see all over Naama Bay) next door to the hotel, they maybe a bit cheaper, again they will blow them up for you.

is their usually children around

There is always children reguardless of the month, cannot guarantee they will speak English though

im guessing I will have to get an adapter

Yes you will, i bought one that does africa from boots, but to be honest they sell adapters in the supermarket in egypt for around 50p

you also asked about irons and ironing boards, i do not think they have them

you will need a kettle, and bring over some dried milk (or buy it here in the supermarket across the road), sugar you can scrounge at breakfast ;)

Hope that helps you a little :tup

Michelle

Sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
very good choice mrselliott
the sonesta is a great hotel , i stayed there last april
the staff are great , its in a great location, lovley walk along
the prom.
have a good time
andy........
Forgot to mention that reguarding the iron and ironing board you asked about. We get our clothes washed by the hotel staff, extremely cheap and i mean cheap :) They wash it and have it back in your room in a matter of a few hours. Very good service and it keeps the weight down in the suitcase when travelling.

Michelle x
That washing clothes tip may be useful - it would be great to get all my washing done before coming home! Do I just ask at reception if I want to do that?

A few more questions.......

Also - flying from birmingham - the fight times are naff - we dont get there until 9.30pm - possibly another hour before we get out of the airport and then possibly another 40 + minutes to get to Sonesta by Coach Transfer - so I guess we wont get there 11pm? Will there be anywhere open at Sonesta to get a hot drink and maybe a nibble if the little one is hungry? I guess we would have to wait until morning to have a walk around the hotel to work out where everything is - I like to do a walk about with the little one so he can see where to go etc.

Furthermore - our flight time back is at night so I guess we will have to check out by 12 noon - will we be able to continue to use the facilities as our pick up will be in the evening. Will they allow use of the room for a small fee?

Last (but im sure not least!) - I didnt take the room upgrade with Thomsons - would I be able to contact the hotel and get a bigger room and pay them the fee directly or does that work out more expensive?

Thanks
xxxxxx
Hi ..........

To save all the to and froing from the airport in sharm, if you email the hotel 10 days before you leave the UK, they will send a hotel cab for you and its free for us, so imagine the same for you, this will save lots of time, otherwise you would be going around all hotel drop offs in the dark. Before you leave the airport tell the rep you have a cab picking you up, then they wont lose you.

The entertainment and bars close at midnight, you are free to walk around the complex at any time, it is beautiful and lit with small lights, you will see the pools. It will seem a big complex but actually only 520 bedrooms reside here.

You can stay on usually in the hotel, they will charge you on the bill going home for the room, or .......... they will send you to a free room to get washed and changed, sorry we dont pay as we are always there, but we have been in the one room for showering etc and changing, someone takes you to the room with a key, you return the key afterwards to reception.

Upgrading your room in resort - see pm.

Hope that helps, any more questions please ask.

Oh nearly forgot, just because the bars shut up at midnight, if you are hungry try the Oonas bar next door, we spend a lot of time in there, it has a roof top bar and its the only large panoramic view of Naama bay, all the nice lights are on and views of the sea, it is open from 5pm at night all thru the night in the summer. You are allowed to see the sun rise and sleep up there if you want. Naama bay doesn't really sleep and drinks and food are plentiful down there, about 20 mins walk along the prom.

Michelle x

Thanks for your top tips Michelle, most useful.

Its a shame the flight times from b'ham airport are so naff, one ends up paying for a day that in reality we dont get - Ok, so the holiday companies charge "per night", so Im am getting what they advertise as I will get "the night" - but I cant help feeling like ive been robbed of a whole days holiday that I am paying for.

I probably will ask the hotel if I can get a pick up nearer the time as it seems it will probably give me an extra hour or so to explore some of the resort surroundings.
Also normally if you get there in resort late, the last day of your holiday is normally longer. When this happened with thomas cook we packed up the night before and enjoyed the sun the next day. Never take your wrist bands off until you get on the plane, reason is, if the airplane doesn't fly for hours, you can go back and still use your wrist band if the rep informs you of a problem. This happened to us a few years ago.
Hello again all

Just checking on changing some money - I gather its best to change money in Egypt as the exchange rate is more favourable.

Can I just check the best place nearest to Sonesta Beach where I can change money? I will probably change some at the airport if the queue isnt major, but I don't like to change all my money at once.

What would you consider the best tipping regime to operate.

Room Cleaner (do you tip daily or at the end)
Restaurant waiter (do you tip each time or on the odd occasion)
Barman (again, each time you get a drink or occasionally)
Pool guys (if I can manage to get them to save me a sunbed!)

I also emailed the hotel this morning requesting a specific room block - they got back to me within an hour confirming they would do that for me - excellent service!!! Was really impressed.

This holiday cant come soon enough for me! Its just a shame I'm only there for a week :cry

Michelle - asked about the airport transfer - but it was a tad steep at £40 so I'll give it a miss and go on the coach transfer and save that £40 towards a trip or something. If it takes ages to get to the hotel so be it - If we are thirsty/hungry - I will be visiting Oonas on the first night!!! lol xxxx
Hi

Can I just check the best place nearest to Sonesta Beach where I can change money? I will probably change some at the airport if the queue isnt major, but I don't like to change all my money at once.

If you can do try and get some at the airport, there is also a small bank / exchange in the hotel which gives the same rates as other banks.

This is what we do regarding tips

Room Cleaner (do you tip daily or at the end)
Every couple of days.
Restaurant waiter (do you tip each time or on the odd occasion)
1-2 LE daily
Barman (again, each time you get a drink or occasionally)
2-3 LE daily
Pool guys (if I can manage to get them to save me a sunbed!)
2 LE Daily

I'll give it a miss and go on the coach transfer and save that £40 towards a trip or something. If it takes ages to get to the hotel so be it - If we are thirsty/hungry - I will be visiting Oonas on the first night!!! lol xxxx

The transfer to the hotel shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes maximum, unless you have the same scenario as us where we waited on the bus at the airport for over an hour on the reps mum who was flying in on a later plane and we then went way out to her hotel and dropped her off first, we were on the bus for over 2 hours :-x
These are some more pictures of Sharm including views from Oonas roof top bar, a great place to try a Shisha pipe, the apple flavour is nice. http://community.webshots.com/user/kiltmangraham?vhost=community

Graham :cheers
£40 :yikes I am getting a cab for the first time, i am not paying this time as i am always there.

Reguarding money, i usually change £50 sterling here( into egyptian) in the uk from a travel agent.

I always always use the bank in the hotel near reception, we find all the visits we have been there, its the best rate.

If you want cash off a credit card, there is a bank across the main peace road where you enter off the bus, you will see a 24/7 shop and body shop, its down from there 5 mins walk.

There is also a machine in reception where you can also change money, if you are unsure how to use it, the hotel staff will help you.

Tipping, we tip £10 egyptian pound around a quid a day as you sometimes get different house keepers.

I also tip £20 egyptian pounds (2 quid) for saving my sun beds each day in the same spot.

In the restaurant we tip a fiver every few days only to get a better tasting wine in a huge glass instead of the usual table wine, and our favourite waiter saves us our table. They will be so attentive all your holiday.

They are attentive anyway, but we know they hardly get any wages and work really hard.

You wont need any money until you get into resort hotel to tip the bag men who whip off with your cases ;) Normally a quid each suitcase. You do not pay the coach driver etc.

Hope that helps.

Michelle x

Also remember its very easy the money £10 LE - £1

£50 LE - £5 sterling etc etc. Just knock the nought off all the time to get the english :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.