Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Have a brilliant time with your family Cyprus100 and it'll be great if you'd write a review after your hols :tup
Thanks!

Just got to hope I can still find my way to Paphos now. :rofl

Prawn,
Radcliffe eh? That's my neck of the woods (almost). Although I was nearer to Rochdale than you....
Only just seen this, have a great one Shell, a little R&R in a great hotel should be good. :tup

Doe :sun2
Well im looking forward to our visit too in February, but having been following the demise of the Cypriot balance of payments deficit.. [sounds good]
ok for those who don't know Cyprus is in a worse state than Greece financially [c100, myself and a few others have been following the demise of the current government and its policies for some time]

What i would like to know from any CY residence what effect on spending cost is occurring at the moment as i may need to adjust my budget for next year

Wiz
Hi Wiz
To be truthful, personally we're not seeing much of an effect. I work for an offshore company and our business is still buoyant.

There were some sticky moments last Thursday when other than the President being given a big kick up the jacksy, the banks were apparently 5 minutes from bankruptcy and closure. An announcement (after the jacksy kicking) that they were some way towards an agreement over the bailout pulled them back from the brink with only moments to spare: http://www.cyprus-mail.com/christofias/operation-bailout-dramatic-backstage-scenes/20121125

However, there are people who are really suffering out there and some are personal friends of mine.

One works for a company owned by a bank manager and who hasn't received a full months salary since March. After numerous promises he will be paid a normal salary plus the arrears, they are still not forthcoming.

This from a bank manager of all people (a second business for him) which I believe is not only unethical but more than likely illegal here too.

My friends partner is now facing a similar thing and their staff have been short paid since the end of September and they are both now seriously having to consider moving back to UK if neither of them can find an alternative employment. They've been here for about 7yrs...

We still go out to eat and drink and haven't noticed much of a difference in the number of people in the bars & restaurants in our local area. Saying that, we don't really venture into the tourist area of Limassol as we don't really have the need to.

I know shops are closing and some people are finding it easier to simply walk away from a business than struggling to pay the overheads.

I heard tonight on the radio that a cheap bottle of wine in UK is classed at around £4.20 but a cheap bottle of wine in Cyprus can still cost less than €2. Our nearest cafe bar serves up fish, chips and peas at €7 and you get loads!

Property prices still don't seem to be dropping but in the last 18 months there has been a number of retired expats heading back to UK, mainly because of the unfavourable £ to the € exchange rate on pension payment exchange rates.

Once the bailout is in place and we find out exactly what it consists of in respect of austerity measures - that will be the time to see what bites...

There's talk of reducing the tax threshold to €15,000 as currently we don't pay tax unless earnings are above €19,500 per annum although they were trying to hold out for €17,500pa instead.

Only time will tell...
That's a large income to be in receipt of prior to paying any income tax by modern day European standards, in the UK I think it is £8000 something a year and much of the rest of Europe is similar I believe. €19.500 is very generous it must mean half the population pay no income tax if wages in general are low anyway.
Now you know why there is a glut of retired expats ;)

But yes, wages here are low and many earn less than €1000pm.
Difficult though as basically no income tax equals no services in the long run and everyone who earns over €19,500 feeling resentful and like they are keeping everyone else. Especially if the Cypriots end up feeling like they are keeping the ex-pats who are on a uk state pension and not much else ( no idea if there are many like that though or if they are all rich ex pats out there).
thanks Shell,
i'm still watching [when i can] the CM but it gives little information that is useful to the visitor,

Brian
doe wrote:
Difficult though as basically no income tax equals no services in the long run and everyone who earns over €19,500 feeling resentful and like they are keeping everyone else. Especially if the Cypriots end up feeling like they are keeping the ex-pats who are on a uk state pension and not much else ( no idea if there are many like that though or if they are all rich ex pats out there).

Don't know that one Doe...

I'm certainly not one! I work full time (4 and a half days a week after negotiating an extra half day with my Chief Exec) and am not earning up to the threshold.

If you earn below a certain amount and are contributing to the Social Insurance fund (that's deducted on all salaries not only those over the threshold) you get what's similar to the national health service in medical care. My understanding is some (if not all) these costs are offset by the originating country of residence under a reciprocal agreement (some EU law).

If you come to live in Cyprus and are not working then you are expected to have private medical insurance if you are not contributing to the Social Insurance fund. That's what the majority of expats have up until full retirement then I understand they can get the cover provided by the government.
I'm back!

I've just posted my review but waiting for it to be approved....

Got back from the Atlantica Golden Beach Hotel this afternoon.

Had a great time and will most definitely go to another Thomson Gold (child free) hotel again in the near future. :cheers

We booked Half Board through the Thomson website but upgraded to the AI Drinks Package at €14.90 per person per night on arrival. Or you can do the complete AI package with Full Board plus Drinks at €19.90 per person per night.
Welcome back :cheers Glad to hear you had a good time. Looking forward to reading your review :tup
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Welcome back :cheers Glad to hear you had a good time. Looking forward to reading your review :tup

So am I (looking forward to reading it) - how long does it take?
Last update was 4 days ago :(

My blog post is here: http://wp.me/p1uja5-1Na

And for those Paphos lovers, how many of you recognise this hotel? http://www.flickr.com/photos/cypruspictures/8273656877/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8076/8273656877_bc8be3484b_c.jpg

And this was Thursday afternoon (13th December) after coming back from a bit of shopping and a stroll around the harbour. We were in need of a cold Keo from the bar:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8216/8273534321_e77d6a6dd0_c.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.