Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Help guys
19 Posts
The Hilton Sharks Bay is a kind of middle of the road hotel in Sharks Bay that seems to attract quite a few Brits, there are Russians as well, but there was a sort of balance of nationalities there which was fine.

There is a front part that is closer to the sea and a newer part set behind it.

Seems to be a personal choice as to which to go for the newer part tends to be referred to as deluxe by companies like Thomas Cook, and is slightly more expensive - the rooms are bigger and more plush. We were in the original part in a refurbished room though and it was fine

The main criticism of the Hilton Sharks Bay is that the food is rather bland, but that could be said of many AI hotels, you sort of 'get fed' rather than it being a gourmet experience. My OH and I ate out in Soho Square and Naama Bay a few nights to break it up a bit. But the AI is handy for the daytime.

I haven't stayed there but the other hotel that looks nice is The Savoy but I have a feeling it will be a lot more expensive than the Hilton Sharks Bay, unless you go just for B and B.

The last time I looked which was admittedly a few months ago AI at the Hilton was the same price as B and B at the Savoy.

HTH Doe :sun2
Thanks Doe - The Hilton Sharks Bay was our very first Holiday experience to Egypt - loved the reef hence our desire to go back to the similar area - although I must admit it would have to be a very good reef to compare to Dahab. just amazing! Anymore folks?? By the way is Swiss still with us??
Don't think Swiss is around on HT :( anymore Blueheather, I expect he is still over in Egypt though running his hotel.

Hope someone else can come up with a recommendation for you. The other main hotel that used to be there and be popular was the Sunrise Island View, but it seems to have disappeared off of the main TOs websites, think it was due for a refurbishment.

Maybe that will comeback on sale at some point if you don't need to book straight away.

I've recently stayed at the Iberotel Coraya Bay, in Marsa Alam that was very nice and has a good reef, the food was better than the HSB. You can only get there with Thomson though and it is mega quiet compared to Sharks Bay, nowhere to walk to.

Doe :sun2
cheers Doe ... we liked Marsa Alam - stayed in Three Corners Fayrouz...... but the following year when we booked to go to Dreams it got cancelled as the tour company were not doing Marsa Alam anymore - hence us booking Dahab. however I understand they are now going again - strange. may for 2014!

Sure Swiss will be doing OK - just that he was such a regular - even though me and him a a couple of set to's at one time we made it up LOL.......
hi blueheather, i stayed in reef oasis blue bay which is not the cheapest of hotels, but it has a sister hotel which is 4* reef oasis, although i havnt stayed there i understand it has the temple reef close to it, not sure of the prices though, wheras reef oasis blue bay can only be booked with thomsons group i believe reef oasis can be booked with thomas cook etc
Dont have any other suggestions Im afraid blueheather (yes I remember you :D ) as we always stay at the Hilton Sharks bay . What is hotel next door ??.. not the concorde, the one on the other side but not the building site that is sandwiched inbetween .
I thought that was the Concorde Lyn :think you can hear their music sometimes when you are at the beach part of the HIlton
it bagan with a C i'm sure girls - but we went 8 maybe 9 years ago so. brain cells and being a blonde :( . you get the picture!

Am now looking at one called Sol Y Mar. says 60% english rest multi which is fine - I can cope with Russians - in fact met some great lads last year in Sol Sharm but when they take over the place - sorry I draw the line :(
Is the sol y mar in sharks bay Blueheather? I seem to remember walking back and forth to soho square a lot and as you leave the Hilton you pass the Concorde , then what was the sunrise island view and then the savoy which is at the start of soho square (maybe SS wasn't there nine years ago?) I think the Savita is there as well but it isn't on the sea side you have to use the savoys beach, but the reef should be the same.

We used to have some maps on here which showed where all the hotels were.
Is it the Savita Lyn

looks like it is Lesley, I just checked the map in the sticky ... :D The last one on the list if you want to check out positions of any others Blueheather. .Yes the concorde is next door on the side towards soho square Chris but I mean the other side , sort of sits around the bend after the building site. Always sounds good of an evening whilst you are sitting down at the sunset bar. Have no idea what the reviews are like tho .
Mmm. Was that the other sunrise one Lyn, The Sunrise Island Garden ? That always seemed lively - I know they aren't called sunrise anymore though, but my brain can't remember what it is called now. I think any of them would be good if you like that particular area of Sharm.

All this talking of it is making me want to book up :rofl

Let us know if you find anything good Blueheather

Doe :sun2
Ok I've studied the Map :D

so if you were standing on the hilton Jetty looking back at the hotel > to the right just around the bend you have the Savita - beachfront (that's only 2/3 years old because I remember that when it was a building site and possibly Blue Heather would too)

To the left hand side > next door is the concorde el Salem with the sports part behind
The sunrise Island View ( beachfront) with sunrise island garden behind
The Savoy (beachfront) with the sierra resort Behind.

Im sure there will have been more go up since that map was published and certainly the building site next to the hilton could now be finsihed .. Would be a miracle if it was though ..
Ah I was thinking of the sierra :duh when I said the one that wasn't beach front , I must ahve had my numpty head on. The sierra is supposed to be OK as well as it's something to do with the Savoy group.
Wow girls thanks a lot - yes looking to the right facing hotel HSB) was just land when I was there. but will go look at Savita in a mo....... Island View and island Garden have been taken over by a Turkish company from sunrise from what I read.. have looked at that many my flippin heads spinning :rofl
We have both retired now (early) and luckily manage to fit a fair few holidays in per year - but we can only do this if we watch where we book and no go too far over the top - plus we celebrate of 40th wedding annibversary this April and are off to Mexico - so cannot really splash out on somewhere like the Savoy as much as I would like to :rofl
right off to look at reviews on Savita - I remember you too Lyn xx
check the Sierra too BH, as Chris says it's connected in some way I believe to the Savoy group but fairly sure its a normal sort of price.... not beachfront though. Good luck

oh and theres a website here for soho square http://www.soho-sharm.com/
Thanks Lyn - we stayed Sol Sharm last year and visited soho square - liked it but didn't go at nightime
IMHO Soho is best at night with the musical fountains and usually live entertainment.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.