General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
fwh wrote:
No matter the legality of the "fine" which is a misuse of the word what do the signs say? If they state 2 hours parking and you stayed 6 - no matter how much you spent then you are in the wrong. Private car parks cannot issue fines but they can quite legally charge you for overstaying the time allowed. If they had a clamping policy then providing they operated it in accordance with the regulations you would be trying to get the charges refunded.

fwh

They have no legal standing whatsoever. The people who run them use bully boy tactics and it is well known that there is no need to engage with them and no need to pay the 'fines'.

Their 'systems' for recording how long people have stayed in a car park are dubious and inaccurate to say the least and they often report people who have stayed for the two hours 'free parking' as having stayed three hours or more just to make money and s c a m people - they deserve to be treated with the same 'courtesy'.

There is loads of information about this on Martin Lewis's site and other sites that cover similar types of dubious money making and money collecting practices,

These so called FINES are totally unenforceable, there is no need to engage with these scammers at all, shove everything on the bin, nothing will happen.

These so called FINES are totally unenforceable,

Not true. The owners of the land can legally make the use of their car park conditional and would be within their rights to require payment of a penalty charge from anyone who broke those conditions.
Where it goes wrong is the method that is employed to recover any charges. It also becomes a problem in that to legally recover the charge could probably be self defeating as people would no longer use the car park or the businesses.
As I said before if they clamped vehicles, providing they did it in accordance with the law then they would be within their rights and whilst people may not be happy they would accept it.
I do wonder why people feel they have a right to ignore the rules and then complain when they are required to pay.

fwh
Clamping by PPC's has been banned since 2012 so I am not sure how that is relevant anyway tbh. The Internet is littered with story's about these company's and their bully boy tactics.

They do not use equitable and fair systems for issuing these 'invoices' (as they call them) which is the whole premise law, hence someone five hours over the limit will not be fined and someone one minute over the limit will be - another reason why the courts don't want to entertain or engage with them, they have no interest in dealing with company's like G24, as the 'invoices' are for a totally disproportionate to the parking costs, also the signage is often either obscure or not there at all.

Personally I would go with Martin Lewis' advice on these so called 'invoices' if I was Betty or Betty's mate.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.