Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi, it's many years since I went with a friend for a quick break to Cala Bona but we did like the resort. It's about an hour and a half transfer from the airport but if you have a day flight then it's an opportunity to see some of the Island.

The resort isn't as built up as some of the others on Majorca and it has a nice little harbour with bars and restaurants. The nightlife is more low key with most entertainment being hotel based, we went into the Thomsons hotel Levante a couple of times to watch their shows.

There's a nice walk along the prom into Cala Millor next door which is a bigger more lively area. I can't help with trips extra as we just had a lazy time :tup
If you like walking come out of the hotel and turn left and keep walking , past cala Millor , after 2 miles there is a peninsula sticks out Punta De n Amer. This is a nature reserve with lots of walks, the main one is a walk to the small castle and a rustic cafe with lovely views. You can also walk over to Sa Coma and that is a lovely beach, there is a bus back if you feel the need. A bus ride away 2.8 euros each way is Calla Rajata, where there is a nice pretty walk along the front and if you go out to the end of the harbour there is a walk the other way, also you can walk up to the light house for good views. Watch the time table here as the last bus was at 3-15 in march and a 25 euro taxi ride if you miss it. A bus ride the other way takes you to Porto Cristo a small but pretty town that also has the Caves Of Drach, the bus ride is 1-8 Euros single and I believe the caves are 14 euros. Thomson do a Sunday trip to the north of the island 23 euros, very pretty and a very good trip to see a different part of the island. I would think if you walked into the Levante (very close to your hotel) the Thompson rep would take your money and there entertainment is very good some evenings and the time table is in reception. very nice area, enjoy
delteach wrote:
...she only saw a small part of Palma dock area and didn't like it...

She missed the chance to see one of the nicest cities in the world.
Second visit to the resort (after about a 15 year gap) It was the first week in May, so it was still very much an early season feel about the place. Some of the bigger Hotels were only just opening up, but nevertheless most of the other establishments were up and running. The resort had still maintained its “small and friendly” atmosphere. No major developments had taken place since my last visit, except the “promenade/pedestrian” areas, both in Cala Bona and Cala Millor now have a complete cycle lane section which stretches the full distance and beyond the two resorts. Cycling seems to be very much a popular pastime on the Island these days, with this cycle lane being very much used (plus the surrounding pavements at times!).
Stayed at the Hotel Cala Bona (on the recommendation of friends) I’ve posted a separate review in the Hotels section of the Forum. but would thoroughly recommend it both for its location and service.
It’s obviously not a “clubbing” centre so the resort appeals to the more “mature” clientele, although there were a few younger families to be found. Most of the entertainment seems to be located in the Hotels, but there are more than enough Bars and restaurants both around the harbour and just off the “front” to cater for all tastes. Just a couple of places we tried and enjoyed were Sanddancers Bar (Geordie run) on the Carrer de ne Llambes, Stanley’s Tea Rooms in the road opposite the Hotel Atalon and D’Olivia Restaurant on the Harbour Front. Prices seemed reasonable. Best price we saw for (local) beer was 1.60 euros/pint. Typical Hotel price for half a pint and a glass of wine was 4.50 euros. We had a last night “blow out” at a harbour front restaurant where a 3 course meal and drinks for two came to just under 60 euros (bearing in mind the location it was without doubt one of the more expensive options)

Weather wise we seemed to be very lucky for the time of year. Apparently the week before had seen some very poor weather, which unfortunately bought a lot of seaweed deposits onto the beaches, which (to their credit) the local authorities worked very hard to shift , although it did take most of the week we were there, so we couldn’t really sample or comment on the beaches. Daytimes were mostly sunny and easily warm enough to sit and sunbathe. Evenings to start with felt quite chilly (in comparison) with a jacket needed, but it did seem to get better as the week wore on.

Overall a very enjoyable holiday both resort and accommodation wise.
Many thanks for your informative update scoop. Glad to hear that the resort has kept it's charm :tup
Thanks for all the information its making it easier to get excited
depends how fit you are.but hire a push bike.and ride along prom to next resort.get you out and about and keep you fit.visit Palma for the day.Mine you the bus does take a while to get there.Not direct.Try not to get roped into all the trips the reps offer.Its not cheap and a lot can be done.D.i.y...From airport its about 1 hour 15 min.depends on travel.73km
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.