Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi we did this trip about 7 years ago, we enjoyed it but if your no good with hills you may have a problem with going to see the church in Lagos but other than that you should enjoy.
Margaret(madmum) :cheers
madmum, what do you mean about the Church at Lagos?
HI if i remember the Church is called The Church of Gold it is at the top od the street which is up a (to me ) steep hill I believe it is beautiful. if it is the conducted tour you will see many things I cant remember very much about it as I had a burst aneurysm on my brain and it affected my memory, but i do remember going on the tour and some of the things we saw.
Hope this helps you some way
Madmum :que :cheers
Hi - I did this trip last year. Very good value for money and I would recommend. The main stop offs were

1.Silves for about an hour. We walked up to the castle with the guide while she pointed out various things on the way. That took about 20 minutes. But then it took about another 20 minutes to actually get into the castle. It was ridiculous because the whole coach load had to pay individually and of course no one got their money ready while we were waiting and were asking 20 questions about whether they got family tickets, concessions etc.So we had just 20 minutes to look around the castle, visit the loo and get back down to the coach. So if you want to go in the castle, get at the front of the queue!
2. Top of the mountain for about 20 minutes for a wine tasting in a shop
3. lunch in the mountains for about 90 minutes (this could have been shorter as far as I am concerned leaving more time for sightseeing).
4. Cape St Vincent for half an hour at the lighthouse (didn't stop at the fort at Sagres though we drove past it)
5. Lagos for about an hour and then home. The coach stopped in a square on the sea front and you had a choice of either going in the church with the guide or walking about on your own. We did the latter wandered round the shops and and a bar stop and sit down.

The coach was a mix of nationalities. We shared our lunch table with a mother and daughter from the Netherlands. I think the guide spoke in English and then in one other language too but I don't remember what. might have been french.

I don't recall a hill in Lagos but there is a steep climb up a cobbled street to the Castle in Silves. It was quite slippy on the shiny cobbles coming down. The coach stopped at the bottom by the river so I suppose you could always take a stroll along there if you didn't fancy the hill. There were also shops and cafes at the bottom.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.