General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Upset tums
5 Posts
Thanks a lot Pushkins - will take a look, always good to have a supply on hand.
enjoy your jollies!
Diocalm, immodiam, will not work on the egyptian tum I am afraid. Visit chemist when you are in egypt and pick up their own remedies to have at the ready.
Totally agree LD, all those so called diarrhoea remedies do is slow the gut motility down, which often makes it worse. They are not antibiotic agents so do not treat the cause. If its a proper dose of Egyptian tum you will end up taking them like smarties and no effect. Any "bugs" need to pass through and/or be treated with rehydration measures, clear fluids only (no milk etc) and efficient local remedies from reputed pharmacies or physicians in local resort, and if recurrent on return to UK, you must seek advice and treatment. A stool specimen may be yuk, but will scientifically identify any organism for appropriate selective treatment!
Best sound advice has been well recorded in this forum already. Sensible preventative measures are the first line approach, remembering that many so called food poisoning tummies are due to too much sun and/or alcohol and dehydration, rather than bugs!!!
:D :o :wink:
Lyn (Nurse Lyn!!!!)
It IS true that if you have a genuine stomach bug, you need to get the infection OUT of your system instead of slowing your gut down. Your body is wanting to get rid of the bacteria.
However, sometimes people are just getting used to the "different water" if you get my drift. For this, IMO, the anti-diarraea tablets are ok. Wilkinson's do a brand-own too, much cheaper. It is also important to remember to replenish with plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. I find flat lemonade works really well if you're feeling dodgy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.