General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
no reason why not as long as it fits in the baggage and is within the baggage allowance, make sure it works on the electric supply abroad though :roll:
Should be OK as long as you are just using it to chill drinks. In some hotel rooms the key fob in its holder is used to control the power to the room, once out of the room the power is off. Also some of these mini fridges only chill down a certain number of degrees from the ambient temperature of the rooms, so may not get super chilly in a hot room.
I am probably hopelessly out of date, but how does the fridge work? Not such a mad question ... if it has a liquid refrigerant, how will this cope with the lack of pressurisation in the hold?
I'm no expert...but some seem to make use of the Peltier effect...have a look at http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm
Should be OK as long as you are just using it to chill drinks. In some hotel rooms the key fob in its holder is used to control the power to the room, once out of the room the power is off. Also some of these mini fridges only chill down a certain number of degrees from the ambient temperature of the rooms, so may not get super chilly in a hot room.

You can usually get around this by sticking something plastic in the space that the key fob fits into eg a library card, plastic fork etc.

That way the power stays on when you are out of the room, which is pretty useful if you would prefer the rooms air conditioning to work while you are out.
Tried that...cleaner took it out :) Anyway its a bit wasteful having the aircon on when no ones in.
Thanks for the replies - and i like the fork thing :lol: I really dont know anything about the fridge other than its from Argos and i simply plug it in :oops: not very helpful i know.
Weve got one for camping and it does 15 degs below the outside temp.

I'd see if you can hire a fridge ( we did in Croatia) from the hotel rather than lugging the fridge about!
Tried that...cleaner took it out Anyway its a bit wasteful having the aircon on when no ones in.

:lol: It was the cleaner who we saw doing it in the first place, so we just copied and she never ever took it out.

Having the a/c on when you're out keeps the room cool for when you come back in later.
Anyway its a bit wasteful having the aircon on when no ones in.

I would have thought that it takes less electricity to maintain the room at a cool temperature, than to 're-cool' the room after the aircon has been switched off & the room has become really hot. :?:
We always take an old loyalty card to put in the light switch.
Just ask at reception for anoither card or key as we always do and have never been refused. Karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.