Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
A Skytrain station is right next to the Shangri-La. You could get to the Grand Palace via long tail boat from nearby River City pier, or I imagine the hotel can organise this for you, from its own jetty. The floating market although touristy is fun and worth a visit. Wat Arun on the other side of the river is also worth a visit. If you visit at a weekend the Chatachuk market is worth a visit...absolute loads of stalls. An evening river cruise/meal is also worthwhile
Elaine
Have a look through the posts on the Thailand sticky at the top of the page. You will find loads of suggestions. Then, any further questions, just ask away!
Bound to be covered in the Thailand sticky, but top of the list have got to be the Royal Palace and Wat Arun...close together so easy to do in a day, and both very impressive for different reasons.

Also make sure you do a nighttime river cruise - really good way to see the city from a different perspective.

Would also recommend Chatuchak market if you had more time, but you can get lost in there for half a day, so probably better seeing central stuff.

Oh - take taxis, not tuk-tuks - tuk-tuk drivers have a habit of, once moving, taking you somewhere you don't want to go on the excuse that "the xxxx is closed until xxx, I take you to a boat tour/shop/bar/... first".
My faves in Bangkok - the weekend market - amazing.
Jim Thomson' s House, Wat Po and hire a longtail boat from the pier close to the Shangri La hotel and get the boatman to take you round the klongs - thai for canals - this is absolutley amazing but bargain hard with the boatman before you go.
shirleyV
The reclining buddah in the grand temple, the revolving observation deck (84 floors up!) at the Sky Tower, Baiyoke Sky Hotel, 222 Ratchaprarop Road (went up at night and it was spectacular) and Pat Pong night market for the fake goods. Sky train is great - clean and easy to use. We've been three times before but are going again in Dec and will definately be doing these things again.
Have a great time and watch out for the traffic!
Rob.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

The ones that appeal most are Jim Thompson's House, night river cruise, longtail hire daytime cruise, view from Baiyoke Sky Hotel and Patpong.

Wow - so much to do in so little time!!

Elaine :D
lovetotravel's trip report can be read here
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.