Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I have no idea how I managed to miss this post- sorry! I suppose you have already worked out what you are going to do by now but , I will throw in my tuppence worth!
Chatuchak market- even if you don't buy anything it is a fascinating place. They sell anything you can think of- and some things you wouldn't think of!
Wat Po- with the reclining Buddha
China town- take a walk around there. We actually haven't done that yet- we only did this as part of an organised trip. I plan to go off on my own this time though.
Jim Thomsons House- quite an oasis in amongst bedlam. Very interesting story there.
Kanchanaburi and the River Kwai bridge-this would be one of my all time favourite trips. You visit the Jeath War Museum. This is on the site of the prisoner of war camp. It is quite gruelling but a must. You visit the war cemetary - it is beautifully kept and I found it so moving. Read the inscriptions on the graves and it is impossible not to shed a few tears.
You go on to the actual bridge and can walk across it- ( note I didn't say original as it was completely destroyed once and then badly bombed again later on) . I have to say that the walk is not for the faint hearted. There just has to have accidents as it is pretty rickety and open. Ok until someone comes the other way and wants past! You can then the train itself on a journey through the countryside. I loved this as well. A long day but worth it.
A visit to Ayutthaya - the ancient capital.The Burmese all but destroyed it in the 18th century. You can see the ruins today. On the way you stop at the Kings Summer Palace.

There are other trips I could suggest. I haven't finished exploring Bangkok yet- ( can you ever I wonder!!)
Hope this is gives you a start anyway.
thanks for you reply fiona :)
am looking forward to it and counting the days (7 days left to my flight)

have been doing plenty of research and most of the ones you listed will be on my must do list

(read somewhere that the person jim thompson went missing in malaya or something and was never found)
river kwai trip,a definate must.we also went to the floating market & to the rose garden.when we went,this was a combined trip.the floating market,in the morning & the rose garden,in the afternoon.a really good day!!
also the grand palace,is a must.i wouldn't bother with an organised tour.just jump in a taxi & do it yourself,but do remember,not to have your shoulders,or heels showing & i think,if i remember rightly,men have to wear long trousers.
me & my husband had to go,to a shop opposite,because i had a vest on & he had shorts on,they do have a little place there though,where i think,they let people hire clothes,if they aren't dressed correctly.
well worth a visit,as it's spectacular!
enjoy your trip
tracy
Glynn
yes there is a mystery about the end of JimThompson( you have been doing your homework!!) An even bigger mystery is how much money you can get through in a visit!!!( the shop is wonderful!!)
HI

I dont know this particular hotel but the one I alwqays stay at ( Landmark) is also on the same road and close to the night market, so I think the locatiopn is good.

Personally I think 8 nights would be too long, and I would spend a couple of daysd in the North at Chang Mai. The only thing that hasnt been mentioned ( I think) is Wat Po, where they have a great massage school.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.