Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
worth noting
16 Posts
Mixter, thats something new to me also, we always get charged 3 euros to our house from the strip, maybe its a new thing. I know they charge extra at weekends from the airport but never known it from resort to accommodation after a night out.Will test them out next week. Cheers Jayjan
Yeh news to me also. I'll test it in 2 weeks :)
BTW Jayjan have a nice one :)
How was Monte Gordo mixter?we are going on the 8th of oct.Did you drive from the airport if so did you take the motorway or the other road
Shrimper, we got the much maligned 'resort-hopper' to transfer us. And, i am pleased to say they 'delivered' at both ends. They used the m/way both ways...i believe it is quicker, after a taxi we got to Taviera by the 'back road'.
Monte Gordo is seriously quiet. It seems like there are more bars and eateries than folk - period! You can eat and drink fairly cheap tho. there is a bar called 'Crepes' at the east end of the 'front' of town, that does cheap wines and beers (and food). There is one music bar a few doors down called 'something'? 42...cant remember its full name, but its a good place to hang out if you want a semblance of life whilst there.
There is also a very nice fish restaurant at the west end of town, again on the 'front', whos name also escapes me (what a travel writer id be eh!), but it has a load of fairy lights in a tree at the gate! As long as your not expecting 'the strip' at Albufiera, you'll have a good time.

ps take the little train on the prom to Vila Real on the border..then the ferry (cheapo) to Ayumente in Spain.
Thanks Mixter I will try the train and the ferry across the river.
Make sure you get them in that order! :rofl
Regarding taxis. They are all now metered - hooray! 3.20 is the set cost. Evenings and weekends it goes up to 3.80 set cost. Not sure if you pay more after midnight, never up that late :wink:

The set cost will just about get you from the old town to the Marina - not bad value as it goes - and easily from the strip to the old town.
I think its bloomin cheap tbh. :)
Plus 20% at weekends tho.
Taxis now display the tariff they are on on the roof- 3 is standard tariff, 4 weekends etc. -At least that is the case in Lagos, so I would assume that it applies all along the Algarve.
Hi Mixter, We are going to Monte Gordo on November 5th for one week. Do you think that the little train will still be running to Vila Real.
Yeah, i would think so...its like one of those fairground trains. Even if it isnt, a taxi cant be that much to Real.
Thanks mixter. I hope that you are right.
I love going on those little trains Lizziebeth.
Just a point about the ferry to Spain, we were asked for our passports and I was glad I had them with me, so if you intend going this way then make sure you carry yours, the trip to Spain was really worth it, brill.
:lol: Taxis always charged more on weekends and after 10 pm in Portugal. The difference is there was more control on urban areas and taxis on rural areas didn't HAVE to have a metter (so-called tourism cars) so they ran on the same tarif all the time (based on kms, not days or hours). Now they also have a light on top which is for the police to check if they're running on the right tarif (I'm not sure of all the codes, I always check the window sticker), but you'll notice the driver changing it when moving from inside a city to outside (urban/rural) or when the hour/day changes (friday to saturday or holliday or 9.59 pm to 10 pm)...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.