Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
We visited Majorca in March for the first time. At the time I was using a crutch having had surgery on a broken ankle. This being our first time in Palma airport we did not realise that it was a very, very long walk from the plane to the arrivals hall - Easyjet tend to use the furthest gate!! I made it but our cases were the only ones on the carousel by that time which didn't matter as we were not on a package so did not have a coach waiting for us.

On return I asked for assistance at check in having been told at our hotel that Palma airport are very good at that. I waited a few minutes for someone else who needed assistance then we were whisked away through a special security area into a buggy and straight to the gate. Only problem was we had a 2 1/2 hour delay due to technical problems which meant we were sitting at the gate for 4 hours. Very good service we thought.

Pippa
We were in the same situation as Pippa this time in Majorca. Despite having been many times to Palma before, this time my wife found the long walk very strenuous. On our return we asked for assistance at the check in and they were indeed very helpful and efficient taking us right to the departure gate.

My question is when do we ask for assistance on arrival at Palma airport?
Is it when we book the flight (we usually go diy) , at UK check in, on the plane, or on arrival in the airport? My wife can walk short distances so doesn't need help at our small local airport it's just the sheer size of palma airport.
Had a look through the airport website. They recommend that you do this when booking your flights.
We have used Palma airport many times and mostly gone DIY. You should always let the airline know that you need assistance when you book because they need to know how many people are on the plane needing assistance. When you get to the airport you will need to ask for wheelchair assistance immediately especially if there are only 2 of you. Its obviously impossible to manage a luggage trolley and a wheelchair (although we have done it at smaller airports) Palma airport is the best we have used for wheelchair assistance. We always keep some Euros to tip the porters who are very helpful. A smile and `Gracias` also goes a long way! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.