We recently flew with Thai Airways from Melbourne, Australia to Phuket via Bangkok. Unfortunately, I had a recent knee injury and was on crutches so I asked for assistance to get from the new huge Bangkok International airport to Domestic in order to catch our connection to Phuket.
Although a wheelchair was totally unnecessary, never the less I was placed in one. I felt like a complete fraud as I can walk but not for a long way but steps/stairs were out of the question. This treatment lasted until they saw us safely in a taxi at Phuket airport and much the same coming home to Melbourne.
I didn't want the seats 'up front' that were reserved for wheelchair transfers as I'd already pre booked our seats which were the last 2 rows on the plane (these are only 2 seats instead of 3 because the plane narrows) so I had to convince 'check in' that I could walk the length of the aircraft which I could. However, in Bangkok we were airlifted into another door on the aircraft because our plane to Phuket was way out on the tarmac and no air bridge.
I cannot fault Thai Airways in their treatment of me as they were wonderful... I do think however, that for people with slight mobility problems there should be another level of transfer, perhaps some electric type buggies you see whizz round Singapore Airport would have been better... it may free up services for people that genuinely need the 'full assistance'.
Cheers Geri