Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi and welcome to HT!

The Sea Princess with Princess cruises does an Italian Delights cruise in August sailing from Southampton. Not sure how much a balcony cruise would be and whether it would be within your budget. The Thomson's ships don't have balconies.

We booked with http://www.scotlandscruisecentre.co.uk who had the best price and you can read my review by clicking on Cruise Reviews at the top of the page.

luci :wave
selondoncpl,

The nature of your questions present the possibility of an almost endless supply of answers.

I'll try to help by posting a few general thoughts that might help you.

Cruise Lines:

I've been on the Thomson Emerald some years back, probably 1998 or thereabouts - the first year of operation I think. I'd not go with that company again based on that experience. This creuise departed Palma and stopped at Livorno (permitting access to Pisa/Florence - we took the train to Pisa), Citivechia (for Rome - took a ship's trip there) and Cagliari in Sardinia (just wandered around). Also stopped at France, Spain.

If I recall, this (small) ship had not balconies - but I might be mistaken.

I've been on the Voyager of the Seas and her sister ship, Adventure of the Seas, both in the Caribbean. The first one we had a balcony cabin and it was pretty good. Even in the Caribbean though, sat on the balcony when moving at 20-25 miles per hour creates one hell of a breeze. As for chilling out.......it was more fun to sit on the deck especially in the jacuzzi area where kids were not really permitted. It was peaceful, relaxing and a little more social than sitting on the balcony. For that reason we skipped the balcony on the second cruise with RCI (Royal Caribbean International) and to be honest - had just as good a time and at lesser expense.

You'll find it hard to take your own wine on board unless it's secured inside your cases at the first boarding. They generally search you as you board at each port and will "confiscate" alchohol if found, returning it to you at the end of the cruise. Best bet, take a couple of wine boxes with you and stick the white in the cabin fridge. Cabin steward will likely not "tell on you" as he/she wants the tip at the end.

Wines on board are generally OK with a reasonable choice (but in my opinion not a brilliant choice), costs acceptable (between about £9 - £16 for average stuff) but with 15% (generally) added to the printed charge by way of service.

With a budget of 3-4k for both of you I'd look at RCI, Celebrity (Same company but perhaps slightly more up-market), Princess and P&O. Carnival might suit your age group but not sure they do the Med.

August in the Med is likely to be good weatherwise; you might have lots of young kids at that time though.

Easycruise might appeal, again because of your age, but you could likely buy the ship for 3-4k - that style of cruising does not appeal. At the risk of being shouted at :lol: I'd liken Easycruise to a floating hostel.

Look for a 10-11 night cruise maybe, with the option to stay 3-4 nights afterwards (or before) in the area you sail/return to.

A minor point but one that can be a problem. If you fly to, say, Barcelona to board the ship ensure the flight you get/book has a reasonable weight limit for checked baggage. You need MORE clothes on a cruise compared to a hotel. For example, wife and I are on a Caribbean cruise at end of Jan 2007 for 11 nights. Three are formal (dinner jackets or smart lounge suit and tie), 3 are smart, 3 casual and first and last nights pretty informal. Our cases weigh 20-21kg each; a suit bag weighs a further 10kg. We'd be into excess baggage charges with most European carriers.

When you book the cruise you will be given the option of adding tips automatically to your bill. DON'T. We always prefer to pay, in US Dollars, the cabin steward, waiter, his assistanct (bus-boy) and the somelier (I usually have too much wine and overwork the poor chap :oops: ). I prefer to look after these chaps more than the maitre d, assistant maitre d etc.

All on-board food is included, as is tea/coffee. You will pay for soft drinks and alcoholic drinks using an on-board credit facility. You settle this on the last night by cash or traveller's cheques) or you can "assign" the bill to your credit card. I choose the latter to avoid the payment queues. The ship will always give you a receipt for your purchase. keep these and at the end have a reckon-up. 9 cruises and no mistake (tell a lie, last year on the Nile cruise they "added" a bit - but I let it pass as it wasn't a huge amount).

Think about eating in the evening - there are often two sittings and you have a choice if you book early enough and state your preference. First is likely to be about 6:00pm, second about 8:15-8:30pm. You can often ask to be seated with others at dinner, or on your own. If you elect to sit with others it can be far more sociable. We've had some great dinner guests and you stick together throughout the voyage. This is great if you get on but I guess it could be a bummer if your next to, say, Fred and Rosemary West (or similar) :lol:

Breakfast and lunch is generally "open" seating so you can be placed on a table with different people each day or find a spot for yourselves and eat a buffet lunch. Room service is available and could be pleasant on a balcony but at night your usually heading out to sea again so not a lot to see other than stars.

Post again if you've any more specific questions and I'll try to help - but only for this week - off for two after that.

Oh, booking early generally gets a better deal.
Thanks so much for your replies - and thanks so much for taking time to explain lots to us Mike - it's much appreciated.

We're gonna have a look around and we'll let you know what we decide!

Many thanks.
I agree very much with what has been said by the others. I would not consider Thomson or First Choice.
With your budget you will be able to get a 4* 5* ship. There are a lot of 12night cruises with RCI Celebrity and Princess that have an itinary starting in Barcelona and ending in Venice or the reverse.
You are also better with a lower grade room in a better class ship than the other way around.
These days I am cruising with Celebrity but have cruised with Cunard P&O Princess and RCI
I did a Transatlantic on Galaxy last May which is X but it is now 10 years old and will probably have a refit although it is not scheduled. In September I did an 11 night on Century also X and now I am doing another T/A on Millennium on the 17th March.

I enjoy cruising and for what you get for your money you would find difficult to find on a land based holiday. If you did a 12 night cruise you could do a 2-3 night break pre or post cruise.

If you want a lively holiday then RCI might be the best option for you. If you like refined dining and the little touches that make it special then X would be hard to beat unless you move up to say Crystal or similar.

As the previous poster has said you only need to buy soft drinks or alcohol although always on X there are soft drinks on tap like lemon or fruit punch. If you wish you can buy a soda card as they call it and this will cover all your cola etc.
If you can I would try to avoid the school holidays as there may be a high number of children on board. However it is not normally a problem for most people. If I were you I would fly out to the Med ie Barcelona or Rome or Venice and then cruise. If you cruise out of Southampton then you have 2 days out and 2 days back where the weather may not be favourable.
With these cruises I have mentioned should you board in Barcelona and end in Venice the ship will arrive in Venice and you will stay overnight and disembark the following am. With Princess we boarded in Venice and didn't leave until the next afternoon at 4pm.

This is probably enough to be going on with any questions just ask.
Like one of the previous posters I book with Scotlands Cruise Centre and have done so for a number of years. The girl I deal with is called Ali and she is the asst Manager. Always realiable.
Read my post on the position of price drops! I have saved a lot of money by watching the prices on the X web site and then getting Ali to talk to X and apply these reductions to my booking.

Sue
For August, RCI (Voyager of the Seas) have a 7 night cruise out of Barcelona with 4 stops in Italy and one at Nice (for Monte Carlo). Celebrity (Century) have a 10 or 11 night cruise out of Barcelona covering France/Italy/Spain/Gibraltar.

In either case you can have a couple of nights in Barcelona (highly recommend) :D pre-cruise. Would not recommend a stay anywhere post-cruise as it could never live up to the cruise experience, and will feel a huge let-down by comparison :( . You can check out cruise only prices and book your own flight and hotel at Barcelona, and save some money. It is very easy to do this and get to the port in Barcelona. We have done our own thing flight/hotel on some of our cruises. You must get there a day or two before the cruise though because, if flight problems on day of cruise, the ship will go without you!! :(

Provided you are happy with 3 formal nights on a 10 or 11 day cruise, and you like high quality and serenity, would advise the Celebrity option which could be made up to 14 nights with Barcelona pre-cruise. If you are not sure about formality, and enjoy more activity (e.g. rock climbing wall, ice skating rink etc.) on the ship, better option for first cruise might be the 7 night RCI.

We have a 16 year old daughter, and are doing the RCI October with because of the activities. We are doing a 12 night Baltic cruise on Celebrity Century in June, just the 2 of us. In other words "horses for courses".

Highly recommend purchasing the Berlitz Guide to cruising, at good bookshops, or search engine and purchase website. Cost is less than £20 and it is a much worthwhile investment. Rates every cruiseship on a scoring basis, and gives much more detail about the 7 Major cruiselines etc.etc. 8)

We are both 50, and discovered cruising June 2004, and will have completed 7 cruises in the 3 years to June 2007. We have 2 sons in 20's and can therefore relate very well to your age group. We have met, and befriended, many young couples on cruiseships and they all rave about it, as we do!!

Enjoy!!
Another good piece of advice. Douglas Ward Berlitz guide is I think £18.99 and it is worth its weight in GOLD.
He has a review of every ship and about everything related to that shipping line. I purchased one in 2003 and any time I see something with a good offer I go to my cruise bible and see what he has to say.

The 2007 guide is in the shops now. WH Smiths have it or any good book shop also.

Sue
You lot have really got me worried now, i've just booked 2 weeks on the EMERALD sailing next July, please, please, please say i havn't mad a bad choice, this is my first cruise i hope it won't be my last lol
Whitecliffe62
Dont worry about the Emerald it may be smaller and older than the superliners and premier cruiselines that have been mentioned but as this is your first cruise you have nothing to compare it with so you will find it an excellent way to spend a holiday.We were on the Emerald about 5 years ago and been on several Thomsons ships since. We have also been on P&O Oceana and Norweigean Crown .This year were going back to Thomsons Celebration Why? Value for money Good food is good food,we havent had a ship yet with food bad enough to complain. Entertainment has always been good with Thomsons. Staff and service better than we had last year on the Oceana.You'll probably find you will have more ports of calls compared to the big ships and get a full week or fortnight on board. Plus no tipping,unless you wish to.
I hope this enlightens you, have a good holiday.
Kavmick :) :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.