America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Go to the Everglades,plenty of reptiles there,you can even swim with them!
how can you swim with them?

can you goto the everglades for the day,i guess no as it is like 200 miles away.
Of course you can go for the day .If you go on the turnpike there is hardly any traffic,its only about 3 hours ride.If you can find any deep water,just go and have a swim the reptiles will soon join you.
The park is huge, not sure quite how big, you will need a whole day and you will need to get there early to see any animals, can't remember seeing any reptiles sorry.
Sam x
It opens at 7am, or at least it did when I went, which was the year it opened. I don't think it stays open late like the other parks. Its a 7am to 7pm park. You really need a whole day to see it.

Go on the 'safari' ride first ie as close to 7am as you can. Someone said to me is it anything like going on a real safari?. (answer no it isn't)

However as a theme park ride/experience it is a superior one. You are on the ' safari truck' for about 20 mins and you see lots of animals. Plus there is a 'suprise' in the middle of it which I wont tell as it would spoil it.

My kids liked it so much they ran straight back round and joined the end of the queue to do it again.

Cant remember about reptiles, but assume gators are about as they are everywhere in florida. LOL.
Hi Reptile !! :D

You will be very pleased to know that you can indeed see reptiles at AK !!..and you may even get to hold some !

If you take the Wildlife express train the animal Conservation Station they have reptiles that you can view, and here they also have them to touch / hold at various times of the day (consult the exhibition times in that area, on the day, for details).

You may also catch sight of some Garter snakes in the wild (non poisonous folks !) on Tom Sawyer island at Magic Kingdom as there is an abundance of wildlife on there.

We also saw loads of alligators along the roadside, when we did the bus tour at Kennedy Space Centre... if that is of any interest.

Hope that helps ! :wink:
You can also swim with the Manatees at Crystal River, and take a trip to Homossassa State Park whilst you're there - which has lots of different animals :D

Someone has also recommending 'Amazing Exotics' to me, where you can get up close with exotic animals such as lions and Tigers...

Of course there is also Seaworld, which in addition to the normal shows you can take optional tours, to touch a small shark or a penguin. For a bit more cash they have a shark dive (as does Epcot) and a Beluga Whale experience.

You have Discovery Cove, where you can swim with dolphins, rays, fish, etc... and at Busch Gardens you could take the optional Serengeti Safari where you can feed the giraffe. I'm sure they also do more elaborate animal tours :D
Reptile,

you don't HAVE to be at AK when it opens to see the animals but you'll see more if you do. The animals make for shade the hotter it gets and Florida gets hot ! As already said, do the Safari as soon as you get there to see the most you can.

AK is the smallest of the WDW parks but will still take a day if you want to do everything there is to do. The Lion King show is one of the best you'll see and now there's the new Nemo show, not to mention Everest and Dinosaur, oh, and the Kali River Rapids :-)

If you are staying on a Disney property you will get extra hours at each park on specific days - where the park is open only to Disney Resort guests. These will help get round all the parks but the early entry is a must do for the safari, if you qualify.

Busch Gardens is another must do, especially for the wildlife. It's about 90 minutes from Disney. Easily found by car and there's a shuttle bus running from Seaworld if you don't want to drive. Oh, Seaworld is a must do as well ,of course.

We only did Gatorland once and wouldn't bother again.

There are airboat rides on Boggy Creek (about 50 minutes out of Disney) where you will see gators etc in the wild.

There are some big critters to be found in all the parks but they are very tame (especially the one they call Mickey) :-)

Have a great trip.

H&H :-)
gatorland had a big fire last yeare. drove past the other day-it looked a bit sad-but did seem like business as usual.

As well as Boggy Creek there is Southport Park right at bottom of Poinciana Blvd. You can do an airboat ride too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.