Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Gill

I have merged your post with the Australia topic.

I would suggest booking any trips at Ayres Rock in advance as we were there for 2 days and couldn't go on one of the free trail tours with an Aboriginal as it was fully booked.

Can't remember doing any organised trips as we hired a car and went to Uluru and the Olgas on our own.

luci :wave
Hi
Hi,

I was going to post it in here but then thought not many people might look here as I must admit I have always just looked at the main posts!! But will see if I get any replies.

Can i ask what FREE tour you tried to go on that was booked...ive NEVER seen any free tours!!!

Gill x
I really can't remember much about the tour as it was many years ago, but it must have been advertised in our hotel. I can't even remember which hotel we stayed in, but I think it was the Outback Pioneer.

As for people perhaps not looking at the sticky topics, there will be a new message marker against them so no reason they should be missed. :wink:

Hi Gill again

I would book the tours you want now then you will get the dates and time you want
Cairns
The Kuranda rail ,skyrail and Tjapukai tour Tjapukai is at the bottom of the skyrail from there you will get a shuttle bus back to Cairns Tjapukai is a place to learn about the Aboriginal ways of life
The flames of the Forest is very good also and has a very good meal and show
The cape Tribulation and Dantree 4WD safare from Cairns 10 to11 hours is very good also on Viator this will take you into the Dantree area
Just watch your times to get back so you do not over book your time for the Flames of The Forest as it takes time to get from Cairns to the dinner site I think the pick up time is 5.30 to 6.00 at hotels in Cairns
Ayers Rock
Do the sunrise and base tour not much good going all the way out there if you do not get up close to it I would leave the booking of the hotel to late August even if you have to take one of the other hotels discounts start about 3 months out just over half price most likely you will get the Sail of the Desert then any way
Sydney
Skywalk is ezyer than the bridge walk but it is very high and hair raising but safe the bridge walk you have walk all the way to the top of the bridge
Magnificent Hunter Valey Wineries Tour if you are into wines
Blue mountains and Australian wild life day tour
( the Jenolan cave and Blue montains is good but you will be on the bus all the time and not have much time to look around )
A Guilded tour of the opera house there is 2 tours so pick which one suits you one goes back stage and one goes around and the halls
A sunset Dinner criuse is very good also it gives you the last of the day light and the lights of the city at night it is very good
These tours are on viator
A ferry ride to Manly beach is also good it will give a good habour look and go past the Opera house you can get these ferries at Circular Quay
and you must do some of the arcades of shops in the city and when you take time on any beach use sunscrean as the sun burns bad over here and it is worst thing to happen to get burnt on a holiday all the best of holiday down under
Wow that is brilliant you are so so kind in taking time out to help me with my trips etc etc I have booked the camel sunset tour, sunrise and base tour and sound of silence dinner. Tomorrow will book my Cairns will do the dinner one on a day I havent got any other trip on and the other 2 day trips on the other days if it works out that way!!!!

Sydney I will do Sunday!!! Only really go the Blue Mountain and the hunter valey to book oh and ill do the evening meal one as well thanks for that advice. I trust the Opera tour and the ferry to manly I can book when I am there, I am also getting a hop on hop off 48 hrs bus ticket and a hop on hop off 24 hrs ferry ticket. And then that leave me a full day shopping before I fly to Ayres Rock!!!

Ill then have to start on Singapore!!!! You got any advice on that!!!!??? I know I want a room with a balcony again!!! And i will allow myself £500 for the hotel for 5 nights!!!

Thanks you again so so much for this reply it is brilliant

Gill x
Gill
It sounds as though you have almost finished with arranging your holiday.
You must post a trip report(s) when you get back, I'm enjoying reading about your plans, brings back lots of memories of my RTW and a later trip to Australia, in fact I'm getting a real itch to travel down under again. Hope you enjoy your holiday (I'm sure you will).
Hi
Hi Judith,

So where did you visit on your RTW trip?? Any tips you can give!!!

I am being sad and taking my laptop with me so I can keep in touch with family and also email photos back......ill migh also do a running diary each day on the board if I am allowed!!!

Gill x
Hi Gill

When I did my RTW trip I visited Singapore, Sydney, New Zealand (extensive tour of north and south islands), then Hawaii, Los Angeles and home. The holiday was origionally planned as just a trip to New Zealand but then we decided on a RTW with a few stop offs.
I did made a pretty extensive tour of Australia a couple of years later and visited most of the places you are going to plus the Northern Territories and South Australia.( I would like to visit West Australia and Tasmania, maybe next time). Do you drink coffee? if so although you can get cappucinos and lattes etc, they use some different terms for a cup of coffee, an espresso is called a short black (though I'm sure if you ask for an espresso you would get one) a long black is what we would call a normal black coffee it's an espresso with hot water added, and a normal coffee with milk is long black with milk on the side, but what I really liked was a flat white it's somewhat similar to a latte but less foam and more coffee, delicious, though I expect later on today Chubby will correct me if I've got it wrong.The food is great in Australia if you fancy british food you can find it but there are hundreds of different types of restaurants, with good food from all over the world and you will usually be made to feel very welcome. You have already been advised about the heat and humidity in Singapore so do carry water with you or make lots of stops for drinks. Australia will also be hot so again carry water with you, it can be blistering at Ayers Rock. If you can't get a room at the Sails in the Desert at Ayers Rock the Desert Gardens is pretty good, that was where I stayed.
I think you are doing the right thing taking your laptop, so many hotels have internet connections in the guest rooms nowadays and as you will be away for a long time it is good to be able to keep in touch with family at home.
I really loved Australia and can't wait to visit again.
Which airlines are you flying with?
Please ask if you have any questions, I'm not an expert but will help if I can, though as I said in my earlier post your trip seems to be in the last stages of planning and booking.
of course we would love a journal of your trip Gill! :D
Glad to see you are getting plenty of replies in this topic Gill. :D

We booked the Sydney Opera House tour when we were there and we were only in Sydney for a day and a half.

You don't need to book the ferry to Manly. You just turn up, pay and get on.

We also did an afternoon cruise on the Bounty which included afternoon tea and it was lovely as I have a thing about tall ships.

Hi Judith

My trip was just Australia!!!!! But then with the ticket I bought I could add on trips out side OZ and just have the taxes to pay!! Hence now Singapore and the latest New York!!! I am flying BA for a couple of flights ie Newcastle to London/london to NY and then Quantas for all the other. I have one virgin blue flight Brisbane to Syndey.

No I dont drink coffee!!! I cant stand it!!! Why cant the NY hotels give free Tea as well!!!!!

Chubby has looked at my tours and adviced me which ones are best re Blue Mountains and carins as I knew there where a few different ones and not sure which where the better.

Im on the look out for some 100% cotton tops and bought myself a winter coat for £3.99 for NY then I can leave it at the airport!!! Dont think I will need that for the rest of my trip!!!

Ill have to see where is best to do my travel diary as people on all the boards, Far East, Australia and America have been so kind and helpful to me. At least ill be able to give some hotel feed back!!!!

Gill x
Yes Judith you have the coffees under control just the way they are and Gill there is a lot of tea drinkers over here also and most hotels have teas and coffees in the room
Yes do not book the ferry to Manly just go to cirular quay and buy your ticket there in the hotel there will also be a place to book tours if you want any thing else
Just one word of warning do not take a photo of an Aboriginal in and around Ayres Rock as they say it takes there spirit away but if you sometimes pay and get there permistion it is ok
Singapore is out as we have never been there
The shopping in Australia is pretty good, I bought some cotton tops and swimwear when I was in Cairns and Brisbane, reasonable prices and well made. Though I found prices a bit high at the Ayers Rock Resort. Try and visit the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) when you are in Sydney its an indoor shopping centre . You may not get any bargains but the architecture is lovely, it was built in the 19th century and has been used as a market, a library and municpal offices before being turned into a shopping centre.
All of the hotel rooms that I used on my trip provided tea, and as Chubby said Australians do drink the stuff, unfortunately I don't like it but do love coffee.
I think as so many off us have talked to you about your trip we will all be looking forward to your reports.
Gill
as your trip covers so many places the best place for the report is probably here in the Other Destination forum. ( and we'll even give it its own thread! :wink: )
Fiona :D
I got my last hotel booked for my RTW trip.

Sails in the Desert at Ayers Rock for £258 for 2 nights, which I didnt think was too bad.

Gill x
Yes I have just converted your pound to Aus $ take it looks a good price for there
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.