Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
wow- what an amazing trip. Havent been there yet. However, I have been to the roof bar at Singapore and know exactly what you mean. It was like a furnace :)
How did the wedding go? Do you watch all those Wanted Down Under programmes where families have a week to find out if they really want to move to Australia( or NZ). I have to say I am quite envious of them!
NZ always looks such a stunning place.
Congratulations girlingreen,
Your trip sounded wonderful, I'm full of envy.
I've yet to visit West Australia I must include it on my next visit down under. New Zealand is my favourite destination for holidays and it sounds as though you managed to see a lot despite not being there for very long.
What a lovely destination for a wedding and honeymoon, you will have lots of special memories of the holiday.

Judith
Wanaka....now that brings back some great memories. Absolutely loved that town, stunning location with the lake and the snow capped mountains in the background. Awesome. Queenstown is a great place also, stacks to do in the area, stunning location and great pubs. There was a pub down some long steps from our Campervan park which had a log fire on and seriously comfy leather chairs. It doesn't get much better. Auckland I could take or leave though. It just seemed like a standard big city after such beauty out in the countryside.

On the subject of Sydney prices I think it's a bit of an urban myth that the city is expensive. Competition is fierce amongst the restaurants which keeps prices down. Sure you can blow a bucket of money in a swanky restaurant, but for decent pub grub there are plenty of options, and mostly a lot cheaper than you would expect. I can't remember how much our first meal was in Sydney, but I know it was in a Pub just yards from Circular Quay (prime time tourist central) but I do remember an absolutely gorgeous pie and mash followed by a couple of pints (or is it schooners??? I can never remember) of beer.

Thanks for the report. :tup
Yes the wedding was amazing, it was so nice to be able to book a beach wedding and be guaranteed good weather!

Western Australia is beautiful and I now want to visit Broome as so many people have said how great it is there.

Yes Wanaka was stunningly beautiful, we left there on a Sunday morning and went to get an early cup of coffee and drank it looking over the beautiful peaceful lake towards the snowy mountains - all while sitting in shorts and t shirts as it was so warm! Very surreal!

Yes we found no end of reasonable places to eat and drink in Sydney - a mexican meal for two with two drinks was $20 and a thai restaurant opposite our hotel was $30 for a full meal and two drinks each! Even right down by the harbour bridge we had a drink in a pub and two bottles of imported beer was less than $10. It probably helped as well that the exchange rate was fantastic whilst we were in Australia and when we moved on to NZ we were getting $2.7 to the £, so we certainly lived it up!
A wedding in a sunny climate in the middle of our winter sounds like heaven :)
Surprised at the prices in Sydney- I would have expected to be paying more. Thats good news.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.