Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
hi, after reading through the posts on tummy troubles (there are loads) i cant seem to find the name of the stuff to get/take when have tummy troubles in egypt.

i have read it before on this site what to take but cant find it again.

i was egypt in june and had stomache trouble, i took imoduim and it made no differance what so ever, i didnt no this at the time and thought it would work.

i'm going back in oct and want to have some stuff there ready to take and for it to work un like imodium.

Many thanks
Hi,

I think the stuff you're referring to in antinal. It's little yellow tablets. I'm going in September and I'm going straight to the pharmacy as soon as I get there.

I've also been recommended to take buscopan for the cramps too. This is available over the counter at boots etc.

Hope this helps.

Emma
Got back from Eygpt on Monday night and am still getting the stomach cramps.

I stayed at the LTI Grand Azure for 2 weeks and had to visit the chemist twice for the yellow & white tablets and the green tablets (not sure what they were called).

The stomach cramps and visits to the loo are not a very nice experience but the tablets sorted it out within an hour.
There are different kinds of gut antibiotics and tablets for cramps.

Buscopan buy here in the UK

Antinal and streptoquinn you can buy from the Doctor for 50p in resort, or pay £6 for both at the chemist.

used probiotic drinks but made no difference to me now, so just got injection :D
hi what is the injection for?
Worth reading THIS before buying streptoquin :wink:

I recently read an article in the Sainsburys magazine recommending ciprofloxacin.

Pippy :D
Personally we have always taken advice from chemist.... antinal was one, but another also, one for cramps.

At the CSR we went left to the nearest shopping centre and to the chemist, there in fact I took the tablets there and then and was never bothered any further!!!!!

Immodium I have to say made things worse for me, you take it after food and it just went straight through!

We were in El GOuna this year and someone came down with sickness/diarroeah and went straight to chemist in the early evening, and was well enough the next day to go to the water park. Please dont let this put you off going to Egypt, as sometimes it is just par for the course! Fortunately none of us was bothered this year, but were ready for the chemist run should we be.

Enjoy!
The doctor gave me an injection for £35 this stopped the diahorea in an hour, he also gave me tablets to take for the gut to kill any infection.

Antinal isnt strong enough for me any more.
Nor is streproquinn.

if you are sick.......you are dehydrated and need to drink more water and sprite which is good for killing infection (so the doctor said)
I may be tempting fate but so far I haven't had an upset tummy this time. I did have stomach cramps on Wednesday but immediately took a 500mg ciprofloxacin tablet (which I got before the holiday, available on private prescription).
We've been in Sharm since Monday so maybe I've escaped the dreaded holiday-tummy. Fingers (and legs!) crossed! We've bought Antinal for all of us just in case.

Hi Pippy,

Glad to hear you're having a great time.

Can I ask how much you paid for the ciprofloxacin on the private prescription please.

Going to CSR in September and I'm petrified we're going to come down with the dreaded curse.

Thanks Pippy.

Emma.
P.S. Can't wait to see the photos.
Have to come clean and tell you a nurse friend of ours managed to get hold of the ciprofloxacin for us.
The article in the Sainsburys magazine says to go to your GP and ask for it on private prescription, if you ring your surgery I'm sure they'll be able to give you a price :wink:

Also worth mentioning we all took a vitamin supplement containing pro-biotics (spelling??!) for two weeks prior to the holiday. Whether or not this has prevented stomach upsets is open to speculation but it's worth taking them just in case.

I'm still ok and so are my Mum and Daughter. Daughter's friend has had a touch of diarrhoea but nowhere near as bad as the bout we all had two years ago.

I'm concerned over the dodgy tummy part of this Holiday we go in sept for 2wk staying at the new Reef oasis blue bay. I have IBS and I suffer almost every week from some form or diaherra or consipation I have the tablets for cramps from the DR's and will take them with me just in case.

Is the stuff recommended on here ok for IBS sufferers.
I would strongly suggest that you discuss this with your own GP.

Mark :D
Hi I have IBS and suffer bad with my stomach in Sharm, but thats why i now have the injection, it works in an hour, and no side effects :D

Michelle x
Still no upset stomach for me! :wink
pippy, you say you have never had an upset tummy, what things do you take/do/avoid which has obviously kept you from suffering?!

also i have read a lot of posts about this Antinal drug and whilst i am sure it has worked for quite a few people my doctor strongly recommended not taking it as you are taking an anibiotic when you don't know what bug you have........ interesting

Dave :D
Holiday truths would like to make it clear that all members should seek advice from their GP or Pharmacist before taking any medication.
I took buscopan bought from the Uk for cramps and used Antinal but now it doesnt work, the doctor did exam me, but they know exactly what is wrong with you as proberly 80 percent get the holiday diarhoea that they call it. It can happen in any country, i had the same in Cyprus and italy, but worse in Egypt.

The main cause of it is the air conditioning, we go from hot to cold, and cold to hot and our bodies cannot take it, he advised to keep the air conditioning on all day in the apartment/hotel, then when you are in it, turn it off, and definitely do not sleep with it on over night, this is what causes the stomach cramps. The loose motions are due to drinking too much water, ironic i know but it flushes out the gut, to help prevent it the Doctor advised to drink a lot of sprite. Lemon is good or so i was advised.

He also said keep off steaks and mash potatoes, and eat lots of bulk eg, pastas and pastries. Avoid any kind of rich sauces. This will flush straight through you.

All the above is advice from the GP in Resort.

Michelle x
pippy, you say you have never had an upset tummy, what things do you take/do/avoid which has obviously kept you from suffering?!

I've avoided nothing Gaffer, have eaten drunk pretty much the same as during my previous visit.

This time however I took a pro-biotic/vitamin tablet daily for two weeks prior to the holiday.
On my third day here I had stomach cramps but immediately took the antibiotic I've mentioned recently in this thread, the one recommended by the Sainsbury's magazine available on private prescription in the UK.

Whether or not this has helped is of course open to debate :wink:

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.