Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The ubiquitous Honda Activa is actually 100cc@7bhp and the rarer Eterno is 147cc@8.2bhp. :tup
In Candolim expect to pay 150Rs - 200Rs per day: if they ask for more, walk away.
There's lots of places - one alongside Acron Arcade and another down past the gates to Taj Holiday Village.
Make sure you get one with yellow registration numbers on a black plate, otherwise it's not authorised for rental..

Be prepared for much hassle and demands for bribes if stopped by the police - and you don't have an International Driving Permit and a UK license which allow you to ride motorbikes. :duh
As max says.We paid 200 a day but there are lots of bikes available and I am sure I could have done better if I had had my bargaining hat on

Papa
Many thanks!!!!

It's good to know a rough price when you are haggling...my normal retort is "Do I look like a tourist?" that normally throws them.

We have got our international licences stamped and ready....The pictures of us in it are really scarey....If stopped I think the police would pay us to put it away :omg

Love Acron Arcade!!! especially the bags!!!

Just going to remove the cat once again from my suitcase!!!!!!and carry on with the packing

See you all soon Trina (and possibly the cat!!!)
AS the other person said, if you havent passed your bike test in the UK then you will still have problems as most Goa pleece* know to look for the categories in the back of your IDP and understand what they mean.

This is not a sign of their intelligence, just that they have realised a bribe is still possible even if an IDP is produced..................

* as in "pleece give me a bribe"

Incidentally, if you are definitely in the wrong, the correct phraseology for approaching a "reduced cash penalty" (bribe) is to say "How can you help me officer?" This seems to be a standard used by most Goans in these circumstances.
For those who wish to get a international driving permit, it's worth going to the post office to get it. Just £5-50!!!! takes about 10 minutes. :tup Got mine there last week. :D
BOB.
For those who wish to get a international driving permit, it's worth going to the post office to get it. Just £5-50!!!! takes about 10 minutes.

You will need a passport sized photo, proof of identity and your current UK license. :tup
Thanks Max, forgot to mention that, :que
BOB. :cheers
The UK licence must be the paper one. :que
And only a specific list of Post Offices offer the service :)
Has anyone ever been stopped on the CCB belt.I have had scooters for a few years now and have never so much as seen a policeman in those areas.

I believe they populate the more busy and lucrative routes into panjim and over the busy bridges.

Would I be correct to assume on behalf of the OP that as long as you stick to the beach stretch then you should be o.k.

Also it would be great if someone could suggest the correct bribe sorry fine if you do get stopped.This has always interested me.I usually keep a couple of hundred rupees in a seperate pocket.

Papa
I have seen them between Calangute & Siolim.
As the bike had yellow plates we were ok, but were stopping Europeans on non yellow plate bikes.
Also it would be great if someone could suggest the correct bribe sorry fine if you do get stopped.This has always interested me.I usually keep a couple of hundred rupees in a seperate pocket.

As Bruce Forsyth would say "Higher, Higher!"
Nice one Max.To see you nice.

Papa
The official fine, according to the Goan Pleece's own website, for not being in posession of a correct IDP (I assume this is what we are still talking about after all the "Brucie" stuff) is 500 rupees, unless they have sneaked an increase thru without telling anyone, more than likely! Therefore an appropiate cash solution would be a maximum of a couple of hundred rupees. In fact for anything less than rape or murder, this would probably be a suitable cash solution with the way things are now?
the guy who rented me a scooter last year informed me that the average polite man could not read hindi never mind english but had my idp just in case 9 weeks now :tup
Yes :tup can highly recommend the bike hire place beside Acron arcade/Cafe Cinnabar. Very professional and there's a good range of scooters. (papers, helmet under seat...). You say you're flying today - but if you need his name/number let me know.

Since you're there for 4 weeks - you SHOULD get it cheaper by the day......we did ;)
I got nabbed near Siolim. The little policeman with a big attitude asked for 900rps. I said, "I don't think so" and he dropped it to 450rps.

Didn't think it was worth arguing much more because he had a real attitude problem and my wife could detect the first signs of the red mist coming down. So I paid up with her furiously kicking my ankles!

Ask for a receipt - that annoys 'em! :rofl
Just out of interest Roma, what was your offence?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.