France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
I've not been to the Cote d'Azur during my 16 years in France, and a major reason why is the price! This is the 'playground of the rich' and prices generally reflect this. Off course there a normal people living there, doing normal jobs, receiving normal pay, but there are also a lot of poor people who can't manage to make ends meet.

By all means go, and I sincerely hope that you have a lovely time, but please allow an extra 10-20% on your spends so you don't have a nasty shock. All the best xxx
We went to Monaco in 2006 and Menton in 2007. Monaco is a place apart and expect to pay high prices for most stuff. However we had several good meals out in Menton for about the same price as we were paying in Valence and other towns. The shops are not any more expensive if you avoid the promenade. Supermarkets are about the same price as everywhere else, even the Carrefour in Monaco was priced pretty much the same. The only food shop in Monaco where we didn't buy was right on the front by the Grand Prix start line. I think it was where all the yacht owners shop! If you are at the East end then pop over the border into Italy. Prices in Ventemille were much cheaper than France!
Caza,

I think if price is the main concern you will probably find it expensive. However if you want a fantastic holiday, go to Nice, it's got everything other than a sandy beach.When we went last year we did think some things were expensive, but the place itself is worth every penny and we are returning this year ( and my wife is going on another occasion with her friends )
If you look at Tripadvisor it's got loads of informaton and you will get up to date prices from the experts if you ask.

Jim
Thanks for the info...looks like if we do go ahead with this it will deff be self catering lol ;)
We used to drive down to this area every year when my girls were small, we had a self-catering apartment in Ariole over the border in Italy but travelled to Menton for the beach as it was the safest for the children to play in and they loved the little bay there. Have recently visited the area and yes the prices are quite high, we found St. Tropez the most expensive paying £10 for 2 coca-cola :yikes We recently stayed in Nice in a hotel and found the restauarants to be very varied in price from reasonable to outrageous didn't go into any supermarkets on that trip though so can't really help on that side of things.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.