Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
As a private rental, I am not sure what kind of protection you would have. The only thing I can suggest is that you ring Ros Fernihough, a travel lawyer on 01922 705134. She will be a happy to advise you, she has help many, many of our members in the past.

Good luck with it.

Sarah
Hi

Assuming it's the first property on that page (situated on 3rd floor)....

There is an interesting comment which indicates the property has only recently been renovated, which makes me wonder why it would be necessary to get the builders in.

Incidentally, there is still a confirmed reservation for 2 weeks in October. Would they be your dates?

There is nothing to indicate the deposit is non-refundable or indeed, any terms regarding cancellation.

I would be inclined to contact the owner again and see if she will discuss it amicably by telephone if she is refusing your emails. The other alternative would be seek Citizens Advice or your local county court for a small claims proceedings form. It may be prudent to try to meet her half way...

Good luck.

CwB
Unfortunately most deposits are non refundable. The likelihood of you getting that back is a little remote. As you have a medical condition can you not claim off your travel insurance for the lost money?

What I don't quite understand is that you say that the apartment was no longer suitable but that you still wanted to keep your booking. Were you planning to let someone else go in your place?

Pippa
I think it might be worth taking some advice from Ros to see if you can make a claim through the small claims court,it doe's not state that the deposit is not refundable,it also looks as though the owners live in Britain.Notice that the 2 weeks booked in October now it's just 1 week thats booked.

john40
Lessie you are correct that ownersdirect dont take any responsability, its beteween the owner and the persons renting, most direct rental sites are same. I rent my house out and advertise on the same sort of sites but I always state in my advert that deposits are non-refundable if you cancel and also have a pro rata percentage if it is 56 days before departure for cancellations. It is best to always ask the owner these questions and get it in writing so it covers you.It seems unreasonable to me that the owner gets the builders in the day after, as other have said I would ring Ros for advice. Good luck with your claim
Like Jayjan Im a renter of our holiday home. If there was no mention on the website of a non refundable deposit I think you have a good case. Dont stop there get in touch with Ros. Im sure she will give you good advice. Best of luck !!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.